Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: From Maryland to Chester  (Read 1036 times)

• Liked: 0
From Maryland to Chester
« on: January 25, 2003, 12:25:41 AM »
Hello Everyone,
       I finally found a website.  I guessed I didn't look hard enough when I first came over.
             My name is Helen.  I moved from Maryland to Chester, 13 months ago. I was married on 8 March 2003 and I finally began working in September.  I'm loving my new life and new friends here. But its nice to have someone from the states to talk to.
               So....... How is everyone?  Am I the only one that has gained weight since moving here?   ::). I'm getting ready to file form SET(M). But I feel that I missing something.  I haven't went to London yet to get my last name change.  Should this be done before sending in the form?  
I have alot of questions. I'll only do one at a time. My husband says, I'm a chatter box.

Talk to everyone soon..

Helen

Re: From Maryland to Chester
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 12:59:31 AM »
Welcome to the site, I hope you find it useful and enjoyable. :)

We've actually both put on weight since we've moved in together, which is irritating as we were both quite thin.  Elle's daughter says she thinks she's gained weight because Elle's happy.  Whereas I've just stopped exercising as often or to the extent that I used to while I was in my band and practicing every day.

Onto the gymn I go :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 01:00:54 AM by Nefandous »

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 11:09:26 AM »
Ohhhhhh, yesss I've gained weight.
I put it to the fact that when I lived on my own, I only ate when I got hungry. NOT a good prelude to the habits now, which is to eat meals. I'm sometimes eating when I'm not even remotely hungry. And there's this 'clean your plate' rule here that has me feeling I have to eat it all. It's not that I'm being expected to eat, nor to eat it all...it's me going through this dilemma of not wanting to hurt feelings, or not wanting to make people feel I'm trying to exclude myself. To add to it, I am surrounded by people who have incredible metabolisms.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 02:42:19 PM »
Hello Maiden,

First let me welcome you to UKY...glad you found the site...

I am not there yet...  I am living in the undetermined frustrated state of waiting for a divorce so that my fiance and I can get married (his divorce)  I am sure most here can vouch that nothing is rushed in England, especially legalities.

I am from Maryland also...live just below Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay...  What part of Maryland are you from?

Also to note your worry of weight gain.  I knew from the 5 weeks that I spent in England that it was going to be a place that my metabolism would not get any convidence from...  and since I was already overweight...  I started on a weight loss program a year ago...  in hopes that I will change my eating habits and be prepared for what I consider the starch made lifestyle in Northern England...  LOL!  I think you will find that there are others that have gained... but most common for some metabolisms is that when you are happy...  the weight comes on...LOL!

We have a fitness area here that was started before the holiday's... please join us if you wish and add some of your own insights to health/fitness worries and solutions.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 12:06:15 PM »
Hello all!

I'm form the MD/DC area as well and now living in West Sussex.  I have always been overweight and thought that coming here may improve that a bit (that's not why I moved here).  I had been here on holidays and always lost weight from walking so much.  Well the same thing happened when I first got here, but now in the second month I seem to be packing it on. The food is so rich here, I'm not quite used to all these sausage rolls, roasts and bakewell tarts!  They are so tasty and hard to resist.  ;D
Must get myself to a gym and soon!  Do they do the long contracts here like they do at gyms in the States?  I am not sure what area I will be living in permanently, so I don't want to sign a huge 1-2 yr gym membership.  

Thanks,
Katie
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 12:08:19 PM by KateWestSussex »

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 02:57:36 PM »
Hello Kate,

welcome to UKY and hope you will place an introduction for yourself and tell us some more of how you ended up in England.

We have a fitness area on the forum also...  please come and join in with support and tips you may wish to share.  

I am not in England yet...  but I do know the food richness there and have been trying real hard to get into shape before getting there.

shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 11:07:52 PM »
hi helen and welcome to UKY...oh btw happy anniversary (its getting close, hehe).  i was concerned that i would be denied access bkz my passport had one name on it and my indefinite leave to remain forms had my current married name.  but luckily it was all okay...bkz i had documents proving both names.  (marriage license for my current husband and the divorce papers for the ex), lol.  but ive been told that if i change my passport to reflect my current name, I have to refile paperwork with the IND in croydon.  (terrible process dont wanna go through that again)  so for now ...im leaving things as they are.  so anyway....its my opinion...that if you can get your name changed before you file the SET M it would be a good idea...then you dont have to worry about doing it later.  good luck!!
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi Helen,
           I am not in the Uk yet but am hoping to be there within the next few months. We have been looking into the Chester , do you like the area and is it a very busy? I have often heard that Chester is always crowded with tourists.

Thanks
                                                  Cad

Sponsored Links