Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Some people should be legally forbidden from having dogs.  (Read 2182 times)

• Liked: 0
Some people should be legally forbidden from having dogs.
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
A friend just posted this on his blog:

Today when I was going home to park my car after coming home from playing poker at Zach's I decided I needed to walk the dogs at the dog park before Jackie and I went to meet friends for dinner and drinks.  Well... as I was pulling into our complex I noticed a lady in her late thirties or early forties walking her dog (the dog was about 10lbs and looked similar to my long haired dachshund Buster) and taking him tot he dog park.  This is completely normal.  What was not normal was the girl in her late teens trying to take her pit bull and other mutt (looked like a German shepherd mix) from the dog park.  The two would not cross paths as the lady with the small dog was waiting for the other girl to clear the area.  She was a full 15 feet away from the entrance to the park, which was gated off.  I saw that the girl's two dogs were barking at the lady and her small dog, who were completely calm.  The pit and the other dog got away from the girl after she just seemingly let go of the leashes.  They went towards the lady and the small dog on the other side of the gate.  They were blocked in by the fence.  The girl eventually caught up to them and grabbed the reigns at which time the dogs kept pulling her and she again was not able to hold the two dogs back.  She just dropped the damn leashes...  So I see the dogs make for the woman and her small dog and I stop my car mid street and hop out running.

I get to the three dogs and the pit has the small dog completely clamped in a vice like grip around his stomach shaking him.  The other dog has a grip around the small dog's throat.  I immediately am able to get the other dog off of the throat and go after the pit bull.  I really didn't know what to do.  I yelled to the lady to "get her *bleep*ing dog off" and she didn't even control the other dog which kept coming after me and the small dog while I was trying to pry the pit bull off of the small dog.  I put both of my fingers on my left hand deep into the eyes of the pit bull hoping that would stop him but it did not.  The dog was intent on killing this other dog (which had not done a damn thing!)  I was literally watching this poor dog die and couldn't do anything about it.  I started punching the pit bull as hard as I could and that didn't work.  A maintenence worker saw the commotion and ran to my aid and he grabbed the pit bull around the neck and tried to choke him while I continued punching it with all of my might.  This guy was bigger than I am and I weigh over 190lbs and know how to punch.  I even reached into the pit bulls mouth to open it's jaws but I could not do a thing to get it to release.  I started punching the dog again and it eventually let go for long enough for myself and the other man to seperate it from the poor dog.  It wanted to attack it again! 

After this I took the lady and her dog to the veterinarian up the street and notified animal control of what had happened.  Somewhere in there I was bitten on the hand and animal control went to take the Pit bull from the owners for a 10 day quarantine for rabies as it had bitten a human.  The ladie's vet bill will be over 700 dollars and she doesn't have the money to pay it.  This is a horrible situation and I get upset even more everytime I think about it.  All I can think of is my poor dogs in the same situation.  If I was three minutes earlier that would have been my dogs in the same situation as I was returning home to take my dogs to the very same dog park. 

I fully believe it is not the pit bull's fault that he nearly (or might still have) killed the poor little dog.  It was his owner's fault for not properly training or managing him/her.  I am sorry that the dog should be put down but it is a killer.  I know plenty of people with pit bulls who know how to treat a dog and train them to not do horrible things like this.  The only problem is THIS DOG IS MADE TO KILL OTHER DOGS.  If it had been a normal big dog I could have removed it almost instantly like the first dog I was able to get away.  However, it was a killing machine.  I have never seen something that wanted to kill for the act of killing and not because it was hungry.  This was a horrible experience and I wish that these idiots were the ones who had to pay and not the dog that they trained to kill others. 

During the attack I was bitten on the right hand by either the Pit bull or the German Shephard mix.  The action was so fast and my adrenaline was so high I don't know which bit me.  It was more of a laceration than a puncture so as long as they don't have rabies it's fine.  However, I'm sorry to say but I hope they put both of those dogs down and those people have to pay for the vet bills for the little dog as well as they should NEVER be allowed to own a pet EVER AGAIN.  I freaking hate them so much.

Update: We just got a call from the neighbor -- her little dog died. :(  I feel really bad because the whole time he was in the pit bull's jaw's he was looking at me as if to say "please help me."

I was shaking with rage when I finished reading this.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 1
Re: Some people should be legally forbidden from having dogs.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »
Oh God. Oh God. This has freaked me out and I am so upset and angry and horrified for the little dog and it's owner.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
Yes, that makes my blood boil, especially since I was a victim of a terrible dog attack when I was a child.

I now have a dog of my own, and went once or twice to the dog park recently. I got so freaked out by owners that had no control over their dogs that I'm now too scared to go back.  :-\\\\

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
That is absolutely unconscionable, that pit bull's owner should be held accountable.  There is no excuse for owning a dangerous dog and not training it, it's like waving a loaded gun around.  What a nightmare for the poor woman whose dog died. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
I didn't read it all but there was a similar story in our local paper this week about this guy and his dog being attacked by 2 other dogs. The owner of one of the attacking dogs was traced and has been charged with a criminal offence. 

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »
 :\\\'( That poor little dog. I hope they put the pit bull down and it's owner is charged/has to pay for any vet fees for the little dog.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
The owner failed to exercise reasonable care and control--illegal just about everywhere.  If the owner is charged with violating a law, I hope she is also mandated to pay the deceased dog's medical expenses.  If not, I hope the dead dog's owner goes after her in small claims court.

In some areas of the US, part of a punishment for an animal-related crime (usually cruelty or neglect) is a ban from pet ownership.  Many animal-welfare organizations also put such people on DNA (Do Not Adopt), DNR (Do Not Release) or DNT (Do Not Transport) lists.     

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I am in tears.

Your friend was very brave to to defend the little dog. I don't know what I would have done in that situation.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
Oh Mort!

I am so sorry to read this. Not just for the owner of the little dog who has lost their companion  :\\\'( but to your friend as well. I hope their hand heals quickly and that this incident has not put your friend off of helping those in need. But, really I hope they sue the b*stards who had the two dogs. Punitive damages, pain & suffering...the whole 9 yards. I HATE  >:( irresponsible pet owners.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
In some areas of the US, part of a punishment for an animal-related crime (usually cruelty or neglect) is a ban from pet ownership.

In the UK too, the ban can be for a period of time or for life in the most serious cases (for which prison is a possible outcome).

Lifetime ban and 12 week prison sentence suspended for 2 years for a couple (16-week-old puppy had 17 breaks to her ribs and a fractured hip)

http://www.expressandstar.com/2009/03/13/couple-get-pet-ban-as-injuries-found/

10 year ban, 12 month community order and £800 court costs for owner of starved collie

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/11/12/pet-ban-for-owner-as-dog-starved/

10 year ban, 18 month community order, 250 hours unpaid work, £1,652.71 to cover RSPCA, vet and solicitor bills for 18 year old who smashed tortoise with a baseball bat "while drunk"

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2009/03/24/pet-ban-for-teen-tortoise-attacker-84229-23220993/

4 year ban, psychiatric reports, after deep frying gerbil

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pet-ban-for-man-who-fried-gerbil-1530412.html

30 year ban (with no possibility of appeal during the first 20 years), two concurrent four month suspended prison sentences, plus a 12-months community order and 100 hours unpaid work, plus £100 costs for starving a puppy to death

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/Thirty-year-pet-ban.5087526.jp

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:37:42 PM by contrex »

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »
My FIL's collie cross was attacked by an Akita in Inverleith Park, Edinburgh.

He had to take the owner to small claims court to recoup the cost of Tara's treatment.

The only reason Tara wasn't killed is that my FIL has bad arthritis and carries a walking stick with him when he goes out and he had to use that to get the Akita to stop mauling Tara to death.

>:(

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »
My friend is fine. His hand was bitten so he had to get a rabies shot, and he said he got his knee and shoulder bruised somehow. He's still very angry especially since he owns two weiner dogs just like the one the pitbull killed. He's gonna start carrying a maglight with him when he walks his puppies now.

This happened in Las Vegas so I'm not sure what their laws are when it comes to animal control, but part of me hopes they put down both the dog and the owner. :(

He hasn't posted about it since yesterday, but when he does, I'll update here.

Edit: Friend just IMed and said the dachsund's owner is going to file a claim with pitbull's owner's insurance company. He is undecided if he's gonna do the same.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:52:18 PM by Mort »
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
My FIL's collie cross was attacked by an Akita in Inverleith Park, Edinburgh.

He had to take the owner to small claims court to recoup the cost of Tara's treatment.

The only reason Tara wasn't killed is that my FIL has bad arthritis and carries a walking stick with him when he goes out and he had to use that to get the Akita to stop mauling Tara to death.

>:(

Were the police involved?

A ROTHESAY man who allowed his Japanese Akita dog to attack a German shepherd, biting it on the neck and leg, pleaded guilty to an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act of 1993 at the town's sheriff court this week.

http://www.buteman.co.uk/news/Dangerous-dog-34was-not-under.4994067.jp

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »
Were the police involved?

Yes.

But he still had to sue the owner to get the money back for the vet bills.

And this guy was utterly minted

He of course wanted to leave the scene and not give any details.

Poor FIL was so shook up he first called his wife at work.  She worked as a legal secretary so her boss told her to have him ring the police.

Git.

Tara was bitten on the back of the neck

The dog walked up and just started attacking her. 

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »
I agree the dog needs to put down but I feel bad because it is the owner's fault, not the dogs's.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab