Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about the DS-230  (Read 2911 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Questions about the DS-230
« on: January 12, 2004, 05:05:20 PM »
Hi Sarah, I'm also in the process of moving back to NY.  We submitted our I-130 form along with with 325a forms.  I see that you received an application the next day..  Now I'm wondering why I didn't???  [smiley=worried.gif]

All we received was a letter from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security indicating that the "Notice of approval of relative immigrant visa petition" and stating that "your petition to classify as an immediate relative of a United States Citizen has been forwarded to the United States Consulate in London.  This completes all action by this service on the petition.  The U.S. consulate, which is under the supervision of the Department of State will advise the beneficiary concerning visa issuance."  That's it....  I called the embassy today and they said we should be hearing from them!!  Uuumm, yeah like that really helps.  

The NOA that you received on 8/11 is that the same letter I received?  Also as far as I know the next forms I need to fill out are I-864?  What is the DS-230/2001?

Also you didn't mention the police certificate by Scotland Yard.  How long did that take you to get?

Thanks a lot.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 06:43:02 PM by Marlespo »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Re: Moving back to the States with UK spouse
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 07:57:23 PM »
 What is the DS-230/2001?

Also you didn't mention the police certificate by Scotland Yard.  How long did that take you to get?

Obviously I'm not Sarah - but I wanted to share my experience based on the advice that I received from Sarah. Today we sent off my I-130, our G-325A's AND Kevins DS-230 part 1/and the DS-2001 checklist. Those are the forms for the spouse to complete. We sent off our police report request on January 6th and received confirmation of receipt on the 9th. They stated that it would take 15 days to receive, so I will keep you posted!
AND. . . WELCOME BACK! Missed your posts!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 08:04:11 PM by missy_jx2 »

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 08:16:43 PM »
Thanks for the information.  We had already send off our I-130 and our G-325a's and received the NOA without a case number.  ::)  If I known you could send them off all together I would have definitely done that...  sh*t!!  Oh well.  I'm in the process of doing our D230's now.  How much was the police certificate?  I believe it's 40 quid or something like that...

I called the embassy and asked them about the D230/2001 and she said send them asap but then asked do I have a case number.  In that case she said to wait until the middle of next month then if we don't receive a letter by then to forward the forms  :-/.    The process is so easy but yet so vague.  I would have never known about this DC230/2001 form if it wasn't for this site.  But then again, I'm assuming (at least I hope so) that it would have been stated in the next letter we receive with the instructions as what to do next from the embassy.

Thanks Missy.  How hard was it for you to get your husband's health records?  This is going to be a challenge for us since my husband spent the first 6 years of his life in Uganda and other wild places in Africa and Taiwan, etc....
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 08:44:53 PM »
I think the police report was like £10.00 - no more than £20.00. The embassy only requires the shot records. If he is able to get a card/letter showing that he had the shots, - based on what I have read - he will be fine. The shot requirements are on the embassy web site. If it is too difficult to figure out what shots he has had or has not had, I have read that he can visit his local surgery and they can give him the shots again - and that it won't hurt him. Best bet is to print the shot requirements from the embassy web site and have him schedule an appointment at his local surgery and have the doctor figure out what is best for him.
Keep us posted! BTW- how was Christmas in NY??!!

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 03:42:25 AM »
Melissa,  here's another question(s) for you.

(1) The DS230 form as I read it and the instruction it states "complete one copy of this form for yourself and each memeber of yoiur family, regardless of age, who will IMMIGRATE with you.  Now, I'm assuming since I am an American Citizen I do not need to fill out a DC230 form since I'm not the one immigrating to the U.S. just my husband?  Is this correct.  Makes sense to me although you never know.

(2) In question number 25 on the DS230 form it asks "List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States".  My husband has been to the U.S. countless times due to business and pleasure.  How far do we go back (or did you go back)?  It doesn't state.  He's been doing business in the U.S since 1994.  That's a lot of flights!!

(3) For documents supporting our applicant (passports, birth certificate, marriage certificates, etc.) it states: Please obtain the original documents or certified copy.....  There's no way I am submitting the originals in the mail of our marriage license, birth certificates or passports.  Will getting the copies notarized ok?  Will this suffice?  How did you handle this one?  I'm not much on legal stuff but I do think notarized is different from certified?  Then it states " Do not send any documents to the Embassy. You will need to bring all your original documents, or certified copies, plus one photocopy to the immigrant visa interview."  But don't you need to submit the supporting documents with the DS230 form? :-/  :-/

(4) Then on Part II of the DS230 form it states "The fee should be paid in US dollars or local currency......how much is this?  The only question you can't fill out on Part II of the DS230 form is nubmer 35?  I read that Part II should not be filled out until the interview?  But wouldn't it state that?  Like it states Do Not Write Below The Following Line. The consular officer will assist you in asnwering item 35  Just makes sense.

If you can't answer all the questions no worries, I'm planning on calling the embassy again tomorrow.  I'm just killing time due to my pregnancy insomnia I have now.  ;D

Thanks for asking about New York.  It was AWESOME.  We stayed there an extra week (not planned) and that last week was bone chilling.... 12 below 0 with the windchill factor.... Brrrrrr...  Other than that it was awesome to be home.  Family was SO HAPPY to see us and hear about me being a vessel for carrying our precious cargo (as the husband puts it).  I'm going back in April for my amnio and also to be present for the birth of my best friend's second child!!  About 10 more weeks but who's counting   8)

Cheers.....

« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 04:02:07 AM by NYState_of_Mind »

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 10:33:05 AM »
(1) Nope - only fill this form out for your hubby.
(2) Good question for the embassy. Kevin listed all of his flights since 1999. We had to use another piece of paper.
(3) The originals are only for your interview date. I have read to also bring a photo copy for them to keep after they view the original.  
(4)  I read that it was $335.00 please let me know what you find out and also, how do we pay for that? I will be in the states by then and I am the only one with an US credit card/bank account  ???.
(5) Yes, that section is completed at the embassy. That is where it will be signed and turned in (don't mail it with the other DS form).

Your husband is too sweet! You vessel you! And hey, I'm counting the time away too  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:35:30 AM by missy_jx2 »

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 11:05:39 AM »
Hi Melissa,

Looks like this is turning into the M&Y Show here...  I just received this message from another person who's doing the same here in London and thought I would share it with you.

"NY, Sounds like you've got the ball rolling. What you're waiting on now is the Packet 3. Your approved petition has been granted and forwarded to the Immigrant Visa Branch at the Embassy. They will send you out a Packet 3 with an I-864, DS-230 and OF-169/DS-2001. You can start the process of getting the Police Certificate now if you haven't already. It can take up to 40 days, ours took only 10. Once you have all the documentation, send the completed OF-169/DS-2001 and DS-230 Part 1 to the Immigrant Visa Branch (the I-864 goes with UKC and the rest of your documentation to the interview) and wait on Packet 4 that will contain you interview info/date and medical questionaire. That's where we are now, but I expect the Packet 4 in the next couple of days. Just as a guide, we received our NOA from the DHS branch of the Embassy on the 15th of December and received the Packet 3 on the 22nd, so it shouldn't be much longer. You can always email the Embassy and see if the IVB can let you know if the Packet 3 is on its way. LondonConsular@state.gov"

Once I call the embassy I'll find out the other information and post the answers.  You're pregnant too???    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] How far along are you?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 11:08:07 AM by NYState_of_Mind »

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 12:33:37 PM »
Ok here's the story or at least I hope so...  I called the embassy and spoke to a lady by the name of Shelly who I might add was not very helpful.

I asked her about how far should we go back to Q.25  Mind you I had already told her that my husband has been travelling to the U.S. since 1994 (both business and pleasure) and that going back 10 years I thought was a little excessive.  Her response, how long has he been going to the U.S. in her scottish voice....Ummm, lady I just told you.  For the last 10 years.. Oh, yeah right well, three then.  WOW!!  Is that a number that just entered her head because she didn't know what to say.  Ok whatever.  Three seems to be the magic number.

Then I go on to ask about the fee and how much.  Well go to immigration, the Forms and look at packet 3 for the information on how much you have to pay.  As she's telling me she's going through the site... Listen can't you jut tell me since you're reading it off yourself lady... But NNOOOOOO....

So I go through the site from the American Embassy and see nothing about a "packet 3" although I know it exists from prior conversations I had.

So I called back again and this time got Andy - this time around a Scottish fella...  Funny you thing with all the Americans living here they would actually have American citizens working there (ok enough of my being cynical).  I told him what Shelly had said and unfortunately I have no clue what she is talking about.  Oh that's because it's not on this site.  It's on ftp://www.uscis.gov.  Oh wow, now why didn't I know that.  It was so out in the open for me to see...  ::)  But he did tell me the fee was $335.  I must say he was much more friendlier than my buddy Shelly.  So I take a peep at the site  :o  [smiley=freak.gif]  Lots of forms and fees but not indication it costs $335 but here ftp://http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm I read it costs $235... Go figure....  

I'm just going to fill all the forms out but wait to mail them until I get my "packet 3 and case number" in the mail.  This way I know for sure how much it is.  

I know I'm taking stabs at it but it's pretty much a long, boring, and straight-forward process.  I think getting ahead and not waiting until I hear from them next is giving me my headaches at the moment.  It's one thing to read up on it and share experiences but I don't want to "F" around and assume.  I hate assuming.  

So that's where I stand in the process.  So did you get a case number yet?  You're probably further down the road than we are.  Our car is a little slower...  ;D  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 12:42:40 PM by NYState_of_Mind »

Sponsored Links