Fat Fighters
2 (18.2%)
Fitness Matters
1 (9.1%)
Get the Skinny
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: February 13, 2011, 04:14:42 PM

Topic: Healthy and Fit  (Read 83912 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Healthy and Fit
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »
Attention all you folks who showed some interest in a UKY weight loss group. Mfrederika and I are trying to find out from all of you what exactly you would like to have here. This is operating on the assumption you'd like something a bit more than the existing forum thread. Some of you have already responded (but not most of you!). We need to hear from you so we can get this ball rolling and suggest something to Leah.

So, just to get you thinking... would you like:

a private thread
a regular chat time
a regular posting day
recipes
tips
a weigh-in
cyber exercise buddies (ie, you say when you like to work out and someone else says they do, too - the idea is that you check in to make sure you will/did make the exercise session)

Anything else you can think of?

Let's try and get as much feedback to this thread by the end of next week.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:07:36 PM by wench »
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Maggie
  • Liked: 0
Re: Healthy and Fit
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 11:07:50 PM »
Can anyone join this group/topic kinda thing?  I would love to do this, I currently go to WW meetings and can add what I am learning each week, if anyone is interested.  Also have the points calculator, which is brill and the books (shopping guide and eating out guide). Hubby also found a really cool site, much more helpful for the US peeps on here, but it is fab!   

[smiley=bootyshake.gif] Hopefully not my rear in the not so distant future...tee hee
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 11:46:53 PM »
Can I join in also? This past week was horrid, and I mean horrid, as far as stress eating and I was feeling desperate and was wondering who I could call here for support. I have never eaten so poorly in my life, ever, as I did last week...so out of control and a bit frightened by my binging! So, I would like a buddy...some sort of weekly weigh in...a weekly chat etc. Just let me know!
Thanks, geally

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 02:40:54 AM »
Oooh, this is a really great idea.  Can I do it to? 

Me personally...I like the idea of recipes, tips, weight-ins, and maybe even a cyber buddy.  It always worked for me having to check in with someone else other than just myself.  It made me stick to it knowing you'd have to answer to someone if you didn't. :)   
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lovers arms can only come later when you are sure they wont laugh if you trip." - Jonathan Carroll, "Outside the Dog Museum" - From an e-card I sent Craig when I was 14
6 ½ years later... :D

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 03:30:01 AM »
Well..I am definately in.  I need to lose this weight.. my knee hurts a lot and I want to try to have a kid so sign me up.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:40:52 AM »
I'd be interested in a weekly weigh-in and general sharing of diet tips, how to avoid pitfalls, etc.  I've been doing low carb for over a year, shifting between Atkins and more weightlifting-specific LC diets.  So far ~40 lbs gone.  I want to keep it off and lose about 30 more.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 08:42:06 AM »
Just to answer a couple of you - of course you can join!!! You don't have to be a member of any existing weight loss club. Several of us are using WW as a guide but, for example, I can't afford to attend the real meetings or join online. That's part of the reason I'm trying to get something going here.

If you don't post what you are interested in, we'll assume you're happy with the general suggestions floating about. Needless to say, you don't have to do anything you don't want to!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 08:53:43 AM »
I'm definitely interested in any WW info anyone can share.  I'm supposed to be on a low-carb diet, so any recipes along those lines would be really helpful too.  Mostly, I just need some support and some people to answer to!   ;D

Maybe a photo thread?  Where we take pics every 3 months or so to show our progress?  I really get inspired when I see pics of people who have been successful! 

• Uh oh
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:58:16 AM »
I just rejoined WW last night and would love to join the 'Shrinkers' here.  I'm open to all the suggestions.  The extra support would do me wonders in any way shape or form.   ;D
Everybody's working for the weekend....

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:16:04 AM »
weight loss buddies are a great source of support...and as soon as we get everyone involved...that might be one good idea to start.  I also enjoy challenges...I had a buddy for a while and we would do exercise challenges... nothing real big unless wanted...  but things like 20 toe touches per day...  worked well and we had good laughs talking about how difficult or funny it was.
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:23:03 AM »
Can I join too? I do a low-carb plan. I'm happy to share recipes with those that do low-carb as well, I've got some good ones - especially desserts. :) I gained 60 pounds when I was pregnant with Monsieur Poo Monkey. I've lost 35 so far in the last 3 months, but these next 25 are going to be a b*tch. I've got a Cindy Crawford DVD that I'm working out to, it's a DVD she made specifically for post-birth bodies so I *love* doing it when Poo Monkey allows me to! So I'm all over this support club thing.

I like the idea of a Before & During & After photo thread! :)

As for weigh-ins, I have to be really careful not to become completely psychotically obsessed with my weight (sigh, it's such a past-time of mine) - so I don't want to do a structured weigh in - it would be more of a goal of mine if I could limit myself to weighing myself once a week.  :-\\\\ So maybe if the weigh-in was in a separate thread so people could participate if desired, or ignore if desired?

I see a lot of sticky topics coming. ;)

OOH - for before & after pictures, I'd get to submit my pregnant belly pic, so it would be fun (perhaps encouraging?) for me to see that yes Sara, you actually DO look like the baby has left your body! :D
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 09:24:10 AM »
I also like the idea of everyone deciding what their own personal challenge would be. LIke to exercise at least 4 times a week, or to eat "clean" for so many days, or to lose so many pounds... and then along with the personal challenge to include a reward to work towards. Whadya think?
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 09:42:43 AM »
Anyone ever try those Tae-Bo tapes?  That helped me lose a lot of weight also (combined with WW).  Was real skeptical to be honest.  But they did help.  Even though I felt like an idiot while doing it ;)  Also did an MTV workout tape that I've been bidding on on e-bay.  Yeah, still haven't gotten it.  I enjoyed it.  A little dance mixed with squats, and things like that. 

Sorry.  Just thought I'd suggest it. :-[
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lovers arms can only come later when you are sure they wont laugh if you trip." - Jonathan Carroll, "Outside the Dog Museum" - From an e-card I sent Craig when I was 14
6 ½ years later... :D

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »
Lolalola said:
Maybe a photo thread?  Where we take pics every 3 months or so to show our progress? 
*mental note to whack Lolalola with a wet noodle,,LOL

I think a 'child' forum within this one would be a good idea. I like the idea of it being private,, but yet again, what do we have to hide?  It may inspire others to join in trying to be more fit if it's open.

All the suggestions so far are great (whacks Lolalola again tho,,LOL)

I weighed myself yesterday, and since last fall (around November) I have gained 20 pounds!  I was put on a new medication for my diabetes, and was warned that I may gain weight,, so I have to get this off. I can't believe it snuck up on me like this. It's really bad for me healthwise. :(  I have to balance carbs with other things tho.  I cant' go carb free as is the current trend in dieting. I have to eat carbs  before going to bed to prevent blood sugar dropping during the night, which makes me quite ill. :/ 

LMAO @ 'Poo Monkey',, are we talking about your hubby or the wee one? LOL

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 09:52:10 AM »
Anyone ever try those Tae-Bo tapes?  That helped me lose a lot of weight also (combined with WW).  Was real skeptical to be honest.  But they did help.  Even though I felt like an idiot while doing it ;)  Also did an MTV workout tape that I've been bidding on on e-bay.  Yeah, still haven't gotten it.  I enjoyed it.  A little dance mixed with squats, and things like that. 

Sorry.  Just thought I'd suggest it. :-[

Don't be sorry! Suggestions are what we want!

Lolalola said:
 *mental note to whack Lolalola with a wet noodle,,LOL

I think a 'child' forum within this one would be a good idea. I like the idea of it being private,, but yet again, what do we have to hide?  It may inspire others to join in trying to be more fit if it's open.

All the suggestions so far are great (whacks Lolalola again tho,,LOL)

Tee hee! Whack away but I think it's an idea with merit!

I guess I do prefer something private only because I will NOT post my actual weight in a publicly viewable forum - heck the DF doesn't even know. This isn't to say I won't participate if it is public. As far as I'm concerned anyone can join...we can have a post on in this forum that lets people know there is a private weight loss thread. The only rule for joining would be a respectful attitude towards everyone's personal weight issues.

Sponsored Links