Fat Fighters
2 (18.2%)
Fitness Matters
1 (9.1%)
Get the Skinny
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: February 13, 2011, 04:14:42 PM

Topic: Healthy and Fit  (Read 83968 times)

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Healthy and Fit
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 09:54:14 AM »
I am the same as marlspo on the weigh in part...  I do not like to obsess about weight numbers...  after years of being a yoyo I have learned to ignor the numbers except for now and again to see progress...and focus more on my body image and the changes that take place...  when you lose a lb or gain a lb it can be very devistating to ones self esteem...  plus if you are working out, muscle weighs more than fat...so you could actually be losing fat and inches, yet weigh a bit more than the last time you looked.  my favorite tool during weight loss is a measuring tape...that is what tells the differences honestly.

A private forum is good to help those that feel they can be more open knowing that only those that are working at the same goal are viewing their deep dark weight fears and secrets...  plus, as balmerhon said...telling your weight in public can be very difficult...it is a private matter...  I personally will not do that...but for those that do wish to share their weight, I think privately is better for all involved...  for me...I will discuss weight losses and gains... but not weight totals...LOL!  well unless I get to my goal that is...

there are many sights that are helpful for imaging your motivation...  hopefully we will be able to find a lot of motivation tickers for everyone to share.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:00:53 AM by mfredericka »
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 10:00:46 AM »
I'm in too.  Also a low-carber.  I need to lose at least 15 more. 

I have to admit though, I hate working out!!!  HATE it!!! So I'm not too sure how to overcome that.  Any suggestions?  I love to walk though.

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »
B, that's really how I feel about it as well,, I don't want the world to see my weight, or 'before' pic either. I won't even let hubby look at the scale when I am on it,, we have had many a wrestling match with him trying to peek,,lol.

have you ladies seen the 'striptease workout'?  Apparently it's a serious workout,,lol. I am dying to get a copy of the dvd for it for a laugh,,LOL

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:37 AM »
Well, I want to weigh in though am not sure how often. I don't intend to get hung up on the numbers though. I'm rather tall, big boned, curvy, and when in shape, prone to be muscley. I will NEVER be at the optimum weight on a BMI chart as they don't take into consideration different body types. I just want to see  p  r  o  g  r  e  s  s  !!!!!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 10:02:23 AM »
I'm in too.  Also a low-carber.  I need to lose at least 15 more. 

I have to admit though, I hate working out!!!  HATE it!!! So I'm not too sure how to overcome that.  Any suggestions?  I love to walk though.

then continue and pick up more walking...if that is what you like...it shoul;d be what you do...and walking is very very good for you
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 10:47:35 AM »
I'd love to participate...BUT...I have never never never told my weight, and that is a way I have been all my life (well, ever since Doris in 8th grade told everyone what I weighed, and I wasn't even fat.) However, if there was one person who recorded the weights, and could keep a secret, I wouldn't mind.

If you were looking to have it be an incentive for others to join in, then how about...

We divide into two teams. We make it a contest that goes on for 6 weeks. (Then a new round starts up the next six weeks.) One person takes everyone's weight and makes up two teams. The teams should have the same number of people on each, and the toal weight should be roughly the same. BUT, no one knows who's on which team, or rather, you know you're on the "red" team but you don't know who else is with you. Each week scores are posted (the total weight lost in the group). Each day one new exercise "goal" is posted. (ie: walk one mile, do 15 pushups, etc.). Each day one different diet requirement is put up (drink 8 glasses of water, or eat three fruits, eat absolutley nothing with sugar this day, etc.).

This will mean several people have to work this.
One to keep all the weights and record them.
One to come up with a daily exercise goal.
One to come up with a daily diet task.
One to provide some daily inspiration, such as finding success stories or things from the Internet.
(or perhaps the roles can be split up, like one does it Monday and Thursday, another two other days, etc.)

Yes, piccies would be quite interesting, and perhaps someone else could coordinate that as well (pix can be emailed and this person would arrange them in before/after lineups, then publish to the web)

Also, weight can be substituted by measurments for the "contest" bit.

I'm seeing a group effort here that everyone can participate in, compete with each other, but in a non-threatening/sorta fun way. You don't *have* to do the daily things, but it would give everyone a daily goal to keep a focus, establish a routine.

The winning team could then be treated to a hot fudge sunday!
(Kidding.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:50:41 AM by LisaE »
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 11:13:45 AM »
Tebs - Poo Monkey is the wee one. ;)
Also - my father is a diabetic as well and his doctor prescribed a low carb diet for him, and he eventually went off his meds. Low carb isn't No carb - no carb would be, well, insane and unhealthy.  :-\\\\ you might look into a program called Protein Power (that's how I started) - or even the Suzanne Sommers diet - both low-carb but neither have that first 2 week period (as Atkins does) where you go hardcore. Just a suggestion. :)

I'd struggle with something that structured Lisa, just becuase of the baby & Immigration factors.  :\\\'(

I really like the idea of having this all be in a Child Board, rather than this main board, so that the topics there *only* concern our challenges & progress.

As for pictures - I'd only be comfortable with them being shown here, like in the child board, not on a separate space. I'm happy with the idea of one topic being created, and everyone posting their own progress pictures, and if people aren't Supporting Members of UKY and need someone to host their pictures, then someone can step in to help.

I really like the idea of a group thing, but I just know that I'd go into it with brilliant intentions and then Philip would get diarrhea and I'd skip a day, or I'd be away from the board for 2 weeks because I was moving...

I'm not saying not to do it, I'm jsut saying that if people do it that's fantastic, but I hope I can still do my own personal challenge and benefit from a group of women doing this together, without being a part of any kind of grand strutured thing. Am I making sense?

Babies have growth spurts around 3 months old right? Because christ almighty he's a lot of work right now. My free time is on here because it's one of the few things that ACTUALLY takes my mind off of him. ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• tebs
  • AmericanTexBrit

• Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    • Murakami Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 12:06:25 PM »
Love the nickname Marlespo,LOL, when tris was a baby, she was 'MissyTrissypoopypants',,lol.  Believe me, it was a fitting nickname,,,lol

Lisa, you are wicked,,  I love that idea!

I don't see why rather than saying what one's weight is, just saying what the weight loss goal for each individual would be?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 01:47:14 PM »
i like the private thread idea....makes it easy to get to and we can be accountable on there.   ;D

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 02:09:14 PM »
another low carber here :)

I was at my goal weight before I moved to the UK, but the other day my jeans felt snug, so I know I need to get back on my routine. I'm having problems with products and recipes here, so would appreciate some tips on that. I am also having trouble with labels on the food here - I don't obsess over how many carbs per day, but I do like to have an idea of what I'm taking in daily. Some products are listed only in 100g totals, and I've no idea how to compare that to a  serving size.

I've no scale so can't do a weigh in, but I did use the measuring tape while I was doing the initial low carb thing.. and I know it helps give you inspiration, even when you can't see any other changes yet. :)

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 02:35:38 PM »
I really like Lisa's idea about teams...I am competitive and thinking that I might let my team down" might just work for me...especially if there are points for lifestyle changes and not just weight lost, because I have been working out quite consistently for a loooong time and haven't budged an ounce (and my clothes aren't any looser either!) I have 15 pounds to lose to where I would be pre-twins (If you want to see a HUGE pregnant belly...I will post mine!) as I gained 90 pounds with the two of them. The first 70-75 came off gradually without any dieting etc over the first year...butt 15-20 have stuck. I have never really dieted before...I have a real problem with this. Last Monday I really thought I was going to start dieting, but ended up eating 10 times the amount I normally would eat without dieting. I know a lot of it is stress...but if I had some group or a buddy to check in with I might think twice about standing at the freezer and eating spoonfuls of ice cream from the carton! (I couldn't believe I was doing it...like an out of body experience. I kept telling myself to stop it etc. but it was like my body was being run by aliens that were in an eating frenzy!)

Also...I would like weekly weigh ins, but will not divulge my weight! My actual weight does not matter to me...it has always been what size I feel comfortable moving around in and how my clothes look and feel to me. After being "rearranged" A LOT with the twin pregnancy, 15 pounds might not even do much to get me to what I looked like before...who knows? But, that is the goal I am starting with, then I will adjust if necessary!

I think this is a positive step for all of us! Yeah us!

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2004, 02:41:38 PM »
*mental note to whack Lolalola with a wet noodle,,LOL

go to it, but it has to be a whole-wheat noodle if i'm gonna be low-carbing!! ;D

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »
So should we approach Leah with the idea of a Child Board then? Or do y'all think you want to keep it here?
I'm excited! Whheeeeeee!

I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
I am ready!!

Personally while I am embarrassed to tell my weight I really do think that I need to weigh myself once a week.  It is the only way to hold myself accountable.  When I stop getting on that scale it's because I am afraid of it... afraid of knowing just what I am doing... then that's how I gain weight.  When I get on even once a week its like saying yo woman... you can face it and you know how much you weigh... so even if I just tell my wieght to someone I will need someone to say ... so get on the scale this week...

I also like LisaE's idea... bring on the UKY Body Challange!  I think even inches lost might be good for those that can't do the scale!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2004, 05:00:20 PM »
So should we approach Leah with the idea of a Child Board then? Or do y'all think you want to keep it here?
I'm excited! Whheeeeeee!

I think Shel has already done this but Leah has company so we may need to wait a bit!  ;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab