Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The question I am so tired of:  (Read 3419 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: The question I am so tired of:
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »
It's so funny, I got that on both sides of the pond, the "So why did you move HERE?!?!?"/"What brought you (back) HERE?!?" question, with a look of horror, disbelief and distaste for my life-choice! :D

When I was living in Austin, people there would be amazed at why on earth a London girl would end up there, (looong story) and now that I'm back in London, people are amazed at how or why a person who had been living in "the land of milk and honey," liberty and wide freeways, would trudge back to "boring" old Blighty!! ('Nother loooong story.....)

I feel like I can't win because I get the same horrified and puzzled questions no matter which country I would be in, lol.

I also got the "But it's so COLD and so GREY!!!!!" thing ---- from an Arizona woman in Austin!

(And by the way, here in north London we have just enjoyed a least a couple of weeks of almost daily sunshine, blue skies and fluffy clouds, and beautiful temperatures -- it's been a GORGEOUS English Spring in my particular spot here).

When she heard I was moving back to England, even though she has never been here herself and knows absolutely nothing about England except a passing PBS drama or a Sherlock Holmes episode shrouded in Victorian smog, she launched into a rather blunt whinge full of insulting stereotypes about the weather and other matters, as if it was perfectly okay to inform me of what  miserable place I was heading to......even though she was ignorant about this country and I in fact came from here and know it prrrrretty well already............ ::)

.......people..........
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 03:45:48 PM by Midnight blue »
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »
20 times a day I get this question from various people:

"When are you moving?"

"A week ago!" (Adding a puzzled look at so obvious a question is a bonus. :D )
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
"When are you getting married?"

Uhm.  When we decide it's the right time?

When I was over there, a lot of people thought I was Canadian from the way I speak. Or would tell me they didn't believe I was from NY/NJ/PA.  Sure, I was born in NYC and raised in NJ and now live in PA, but we don't ALL talk like Tony Soprano!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
I definitely get tired of the 'when are you moving bit?'. Well, I got to get married first you see, and then I get asked why I'm not having a big wedding--mainly because I got paperwork coming out my ars* and I'm really stressed about that, so I don't want to stress about a wedding as well  :-\\\\ So, I'll be moving when I bloody well get my visa, which won't be a secret in the least. As for a wedding, I'm lazy and cheap and don't want to pay for everyone, and there will only be a few people there anyway so I'll just leave all the fun stuff till I go to the UK :P

Oh, I HATED the wedding questions. I just graduated college 3 months before my wedding. I'm in debt... How was I supposed to pay for a wedding? One b*tch from work actually said "But the parents are supposed to pay for the wedding" and looked at me with disgust... I dunno what kind of fairytale she is living in, but have you seen the state of the economy? I'm lucky we can buy groceries right now. (barely)

Some people were pretty understanding, and said "Oh big weddings are too much hassle, and too expensive." Mostly the older women from work who have had weddings for their daughters. ;D
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Wait til you move over here! I must get asked on a daily basis:

So where are you from? (beating around the bush way of saying-your not from around here are you?).

The above question is then followed by

So what made you move to England (with a look of horror on their face--because people can't believe anyone would choose to live here over NY)

You know, I've spent about a year and a half there, but only got this question a few times! Though, people will ask me for directions on the tube, and when I give them perfect directions they give me the most puzzled look.... ;)
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Kind of OT but...last night I was out with 3 girlfriends.  2 of us were in the bathroom chatting, and a lady (I'd guess late 40's) came over and interrupted us to ask if I was American and where in America I was from.  When I told her Colorado, she started JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND CLAPPING HER HANDS!  She then grabbed me by the arm before I could say a word to take me to meet her husband.  It turns out that John Denver was their favorite singer, and the two of them just stared at me like I was a movie star or something. 

Oh dear god! That is ridiculous! Thankfully nothing like that ever happened to me... Though I'm from Pittsburgh. What can they get excited about? Heinz Ketchup?? (Which my husband's family told me was English and we probably didn't get over in the states on my first visit...)

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »
"A week ago!" (Adding a puzzled look at so obvious a question is a bonus. :D )

This = My Favorite.

I'm doing this at work tonight. ;D

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »
"When are you getting married?"

Uhm.  When we decide it's the right time?

When I was over there, a lot of people thought I was Canadian from the way I speak. Or would tell me they didn't believe I was from NY/NJ/PA.  Sure, I was born in NYC and raised in NJ and now live in PA, but we don't ALL talk like Tony Soprano!

Yeah, I was never a fan of that question! We were originally going to wait another two years, so we would have been together 8 years, and engaged for 4 of those. People asked me that all the time and it was so irritating.

(and Yay PA girls.)

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »
When people ask how old my daughter is (she'll be a year this month) and then followed by 'When are you going to have another?'... Uh, when my rich Uncle in the Poor house dies!...I'm really getting sick of that one!

I don't get the ones about being American and 'why on earth did you move here' questions anymore. DH says my accent has faded quite a bit and only really comes out after I've been talking to my mom on the phone. I guess I'm starting to sound like the natives. :-\\\\

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »
When people ask how old my daughter is (she'll be a year this month) and then followed by 'When are you going to have another?'... Uh, when my rich Uncle in the Poor house dies!...I'm really getting sick of that one!

I don't get the ones about being American and 'why on earth did you move here' questions anymore. DH says my accent has faded quite a bit and only really comes out after I've been talking to my mom on the phone. I guess I'm starting to sound like the natives. :-\\\\

Oh the BABIES question. Apparently since I'm married now I'm expected to pop out some kids? I didn't sign up for that. No babies for me.

As I explained to Kittenfish last night, I will adopt a little Chinese girl someday, because they are cuter anyway...

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
I will adopt a little Chinese girl someday, because they are cuter anyway...

Ooo..them there's fightin' words!  ;D

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
Ooo..them there's fightin' words!  ;D

Clearly I mean cuter than anything I would create. I'm sure your child is the cutest in the entire world. Should win medals. ;)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »
Yeah, I was never a fan of that question! We were originally going to wait another two years, so we would have been together 8 years, and engaged for 4 of those. People asked me that all the time and it was so irritating.

(and Yay PA girls.)

Tim and I aren't even "officially" engaged yet! I got a promise ring on Christmas..but EVERYONE thinks it's an engagement ring and two of my aunts said to me "but you're wearing it on your left hand". 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
Tim and I aren't even "officially" engaged yet! I got a promise ring on Christmas..but EVERYONE thinks it's an engagement ring and two of my aunts said to me "but you're wearing it on your left hand". 

Lol, I had a promise ring for almost the first 4 years of our relationship. He gave it to me at 6 months. But I was young enough that no one questioned it. haha

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
You know, I've spent about a year and a half there, but only got this question a few times! Though, people will ask me for directions on the tube, and when I give them perfect directions they give me the most puzzled look.... ;)

Are you moving to London? You will get the 'where are you from' and 'why did you move HERE' questions' a lot less there because London isnt short of Americans so its less of a novelty i think. When i go to London, I hear them EVERYWHERE!

But where I am, I'm the token American and the only other American accent I hear anywhere, is a girl i met through UKY.

Sponsored Links