Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a teaching job  (Read 1124 times)

• Liked: 0
Getting a teaching job
« on: July 02, 2004, 08:12:21 PM »
Hi everyone. 

After reading several posts on here, I know that some of you were teachers in the US and are now teaching in the UK.  How did you find your jobs? 

I've read some conflicting info about using an agency.  Some say use them, others say do it alone, so now I'm not sure how to go about finding a teaching position there.  I'll have my TX teaching certification in English next May or June and wanna try to make this whole thing as painless as possible.

thx!
rkat
"When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt." - Anonymous

Re: Getting a teaching job
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 02:31:14 AM »
Hi...I am still in the US, but will be moving to the UK soon (hopefully more permanently than not!) and have looked into the process of getting my credentials recognized in the UK. You need to submit your certification to NARIC, which is the agency that all foreign trained teachers need to go through. (Atleast that is what I was told!) Here is their web site: www.naric.org.uk

Hope that helps some.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 11:29:58 AM »
thanks geally.  i've looked at that site and every time i do, it makes my head hurt.  it doesn't seem overly user-friendly, but it's bookmarked so i dont' forget i've gotta go through them.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »
thanks geally.  i've looked at that site and every time i do, it makes my head hurt. 

I Know what you mean! Lot's of paper work (and foreign terms) for everything! I actually got the NARIC information from the woman I spoke with from the teacher training agency (TTA!) Their web site is: www.tta.gov.uk

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 03:57:43 PM »
If you have your teaching credentials and some experience, you can find a job fairly easily. It was not a problem for me. When you are offered a job, speak to the school about putting you on the employment-based teacher training scheme. You will then earn your UK Qualified Teacher Status while working--you will have to put together a portfolio, take some tests and be observed by an assessor from the TTA.  Your school has the choice of putting you on the unqualified teacher scale or the qualified teacher scale while you are in training. Try to negotiate that point so that you are put on the qualified scale and that you will receive retroactive pay once you gain QTS. It never hurts to ask! When you visit the TTA website, look for Overseas Trained Teacher (OTT) schemes.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 09:30:53 PM »
i appear to be having some difficulties with my life... >:(

anyway, it looks like i might not be able to pursue a teaching cert over here.  but i will have completed my MA in Literature - would i be able to train in the UK as a teacher if i went through one of their programs or is that for UK citizens only?

i appreciate any and all help i can get.  i'm struggling to realize this seemingly more and more obsurd dream to live in the UK.   :-\\\\

rkat

Sponsored Links