Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Valentines Day in UK schools  (Read 1843 times)

• Liked: 0
Valentines Day in UK schools
« on: February 05, 2003, 12:38:56 AM »
Hello there.  It's my first Valentines Day in the UK and was wondering if children exchange valentines at school?  I was completely thrown off at Christmas when my 3 year old daughter received Christmas cards from ALL the kids in her nursery!  I've been looking for boxes of children's valentines and haven't seen any yet.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

And Happy Valentines Day!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Valentines Day in UK schools
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 11:44:30 AM »
I think here Valentine's Day is more really just for lovers and such, not everyone like it is in the States.  That said, I am seeing more and more cards to people other than husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend.  But I think it really is pretty much still a romantic day.  If you haven't found boxed cards yet, chances are (since we all know they're out the day after Christmas at Hallmark back in the States!) you won't find any!

Anyone knows any different, please correct me - I'd hate for my kids to be left out if they've decided to start exchanging Valentines in schools here!!   :o
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 01:15:44 PM »
My daughter is in year 1, and has been in the English schooling system for her third year now. I haven't seen them make any sort of Valentine's Day gestures, no exchange of cards. I'd presume this to be the same all over the UK, I'd be very surprised if other schools had done it. :)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 02:05:33 PM »
OK. Sounds good to me. Many thanks!  ;)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 05:31:47 PM »
hey there NYB...uk children do not exchange valentines day cards at all ....just xmas cards.   the teachers have been really good here about allowing my kids to carry on alot of their american traditions. (valentines, halloween, 4th July, thanksgiving, etc).  so they do hand out valentines day cards (i have a friend send them to me from the states...def cant find them here, lol) and all their school friends love it.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 10:01:28 PM »
Got to disagree there. My daughter was very upset two years running that she only recieved 1 Valentines card while her best friend received heaps.

I don't think it's like the Christmas deal but I think you'll find that certain kids do get them.

BTW - NYB if you're ever in the Surrey/Wimbledon area and want to meet up with a New Yorker, my wife and kids and I would love to meet ya!

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 05:13:50 PM »
Thanks all. I always thought Americans overdid the Valentine thing but now I'm missing it - haha! And thanks Biggest Apple too - maybe our famiiles can get together one day!  Happy Valentines Day everyone!!

• Now powermomof4!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 05:30:13 PM »
My eldest is only in final year nursery and she brought home several valentines. I was under the belief that the kids didn't exchange valentines here. (N. Ireland) I felt like a real dud when Amelia asked me why she didn't have any valentines to give out to her friends. Ooops, will remember this next year....  ;) These valentines were all hand-crafted and obviously took lots of work, made by little hands. So adorable!
IL/IA to Australia to Northern Ireland

• Liked: 24
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 05:47:23 PM »
Seems like a bit of a mixed bag then. My husband said that older children do give some cards, but my daughter in Year One still has seen no such thing going on in the class rooms.

Sponsored Links