Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tonsil removal in Adults?  (Read 2369 times)

• God only knows what i'd be without you
  • Liked: 0
Tonsil removal in Adults?
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
I woke up this morning to find I'm sick AGAIN with some kind of tonsil problem. This happens to me so often that I even considered going to a private ENT in the US but couldn't afford it at the time.

Does anyone know if they are a little more eager to remove tonsils in adults here?  ???

I have an apt tomorrow with my GP and I'm going to beg him to remove them or send me to someone who will. My Dr in American refused to do this even though he saw me 4-6 times a year for some sort of tonsil or sinus related infection.

To make matters worse, my anniversary is in 5 days and I leave for a brief trip to the states in 8.  [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Re: Tonsil removal in Adults?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
I've had tonsillitis 3 times in 18 months and was told by the Practice Nurse that if I have it once more they're going to refer me to have them removed. HALLELUJIA! after dealing with dodgy tonsils for 35 years I finally have someone willing to remove them...I just keep waiting for the next bout of it  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
I've had tonsillitis 3 times in 18 months and was told by the Practice Nurse that if I have it once more they're going to refer me to have them removed. HALLELUJIA! after dealing with dodgy tonsils for 35 years I finally have someone willing to remove them...I just keep waiting for the next bout of it  :)

I just watched a video of them being removed and now I am rethinking it lol. It looks so painful and gross. Plus there are like 4 different ways to do the operation and some look more archaic and barbaric then others :( I wonder which one they do here?

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
No one likes to remove tonsils in adults because it is way more painful and can have very serious side effects.

My friend had them removed at 30 in the US and was told to expect at least 14 days of serous pain followed by another 14 of continued recovery.  Even after that he was told it is more likely he will have complications.

I know a friend at my old job had 8 infections in one year and she was still refused, but as usual I think it depends on your local Health Trust. 

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
My husband had his tonsils out less than 2 weeks ago.  He's 36.  In his case he needed them out because he has sleep apnea.  It took less than a year from his diagnosis to his operation.    So far, his recovery hasn't been nearly as bad as we feared it would be.  He only had one episode of bleeding and he stopped taking his painkillers after a week.  He thinks he'll be back to work next week.  Obviously, it can be a traumatic operation for some adults, but it isn't always.  I had been worried that DH might malinger, but he's really had a remarkably smooth recovery. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
I can empathise...my brother suffered from repeated infections over many years, and finally had his tonsils removed in his mid-twenties.  It was rough, for sure.  Lots of bleeding and pain, and a long recovery period.  
Still, he feels it was worth it in the long run.
I wonder if it is much easier for children to go through.  You tend to think of it as a relatively minor operation followed by a few days of ice cream eating, like Cindy on the Brady Bunch!

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
Like you, I had recurring throat infections for many years - then I had my tonsills removed at age 22 and never had a problem again. It was worth it - BUT I have to say the recovery was long and very painful. Seriously, the pain level was shocking. It wasn't helped by the fact that the sites got infected a few days after removal, which resulted in a 3-day inpatient hospital stay on a morphine drip due to high fever, searing pain, and total inability to eat or drink.

I do think it was worth it in the end. If you have them removed just prepare yourself for a bit of an ordeal.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:47:23 PM by Anglokitty »

• Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
Aye tonsil removal is much easier and less painful with less complications for kids than adults.
They are more reticent to remove them in adults due to the higher complications but will do if necessary.

http://www.entkent.com/tonsils-adenoids.html

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
My husband had his tonsils out about 8 years ago. He said it was the worse thing he has had to endure. He lost over a stone and was on massive pain killers that only lasted him about 2 hours and then he was walking the floor until he could take some more.

He is now glad he had them done. But he wasn't happy about having to eat corn flakes and dried toast instead of the ice cream.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Trying to get my 18yrs old taken out but they want to wait for her to have (in the gp's words) 5/6 more bouts of tonsillitis...why put her thru that?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
My wife had hers removed here in the UK at the age of 39 and had no problems.  I had to take a week off work to look after the kids while she was in hospital and then recovering at home, but she said the whole experience was not too bad and definitely worth it.  Just remember to take all of the painkillers they give you and try taking arnica before the op to reduce swelling.  She is now SOOOO much healthier and no longer gets throat infections.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
They give the same recovery period of 2weeks of pain, followed by a further 2 weeks of "taking it easy" even if you have them out at a young age. I had mine removed (along with my adnoids) at age 8.  I suspect the worst part is if you're an active person and you go to have them removed, as you are not supposed to do ANYTHING that would elevate your breathing rate for those 4 weeks, lest you risk ripping the incision and cause bleeding.  I only had that happen once.

But as with most things, it's worth it.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I'm so scared. I did a lot more reading and watched a video online that has made me terrified of it all. I guess it depends on the person. I had a rhinoplasty a few years ago and flew through it like a breeze. No pain no swelling and no complications.

Just watching that video and hearing how people bleed and can bleed to death has left me debating if it's worth it. I just get these infections so often and even have problems with tonsil stones YUCK.

Sigh. We shall see what GP says tomorrow. You would think that after all these years they would have developed some new way to do this was less pain and less healing time.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »
I'm so scared. I did a lot more reading and watched a video online that has made me terrified of it all. I guess it depends on the person. I had a rhinoplasty a few years ago and flew through it like a breeze. No pain no swelling and no complications.

Just watching that video and hearing how people bleed and can bleed to death has left me debating if it's worth it. I just get these infections so often and even have problems with tonsil stones YUCK.

Sigh. We shall see what GP says tomorrow. You would think that after all these years they would have developed some new way to do this was less pain and less healing time.

I have tonsil stones as well and I hate them!

But if that is your main concern maybe look into laser resurfacing?  It uses a local, I think, and they just take off the top layer.  It is supposed to smooth out the major pits making tonsil stones less of a worry and maybe it would help with infections.  Although I am not sure if you can get it on the NHS.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
They give the same recovery period of 2weeks of pain, followed by a further 2 weeks of "taking it easy" even if you have them out at a young age. I had mine removed (along with my adnoids) at age 8.  I suspect the worst part is if you're an active person and you go to have them removed, as you are not supposed to do ANYTHING that would elevate your breathing rate for those 4 weeks, lest you risk ripping the incision and cause bleeding.  I only had that happen once.

But as with most things, it's worth it.

What is the bleeding like? Is it like a faucet or is it like a small cut? Also do you remember the scabs falling off or anything? That really scares me lol.

The not eating/pain will get the best of me. I live for food and though I eat small portions, I do eat them often lol.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
I have tonsil stones as well and I hate them!

But if that is your main concern maybe look into laser resurfacing?  It uses a local, I think, and they just take off the top layer.  It is supposed to smooth out the major pits making tonsil stones less of a worry and maybe it would help with infections.  Although I am not sure if you can get it on the NHS.

Yeah the stones are the least of my problems. My tonsils are huge when they aren't infected, then when they are, it's like I'm smuggling walnuts.

Sponsored Links