Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HELP!!!..U.K bank account nightmares  (Read 9920 times)

• Journal
  • Liked: 0
Re: HELP!!!..U.K bank account nightmares
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2004, 11:00:32 PM »
Another recommendation for HSBC.  I had an absolutely painless experience with them.  Just took a US bank statement, my passport, my job offer letter, our council tax bill, and immediately received a full current account with £100 overdraft, checks, a savings account, and a credit card. 

And no, my salary isn't very high at all, and I didn't deposit any money initially.  :)
"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2005, 05:01:51 PM »
This is fascinating.  My sister decided to change her bank to the Halifax and was informed that she needed all manner of id, including a passport, and another person to identify her.  She came back with our mother and her passport, and they began to give her the runaround, saying that it was down to 9/11 and the Data Protection Act.  This did not go down well.  My sister was a fraud officer who knew the Data Protection Act inside out and immediately informed the teller that the Data Protection Act exists to ensure that institutions such as banks don't make their clients' personal details public, and then began to quote chapter and verse.  The woman was so intimidated that she brought the manager out.  My sister informed him that it was imperative that his staff receive proper training in the implementation of the DPA, and that if the bank was not interested in taking on her very healthy account, they ought to have the decency to say so rather than make weak excuses.  She walked out a few minutes later with everything set up.  She does have an excellent line in beady eyed glares when she's annoyed.  The point is that it seems that a lot of bank staff are being given erroneous information about the DPA, so it might be a good idea to print a copy out and read it through, and highlight any relevent parts, and have it with you when you go to the bank.  That and a courteous but steely determination not to leave until the situation is resolved - if you're feeling upset, intimidated, or scared, fake it with authority.  No bank likes the idea that you'll take the story to the local newspaper...
"An unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2005, 02:06:09 PM »
Just to throw my two cents in.  When I first moved to the UK, I had a hard time setting up a bank account.  I would def recommend getting a letter of recomendation from your US bank b/f you come over.  As soon as I set up my power company acct, I asked that they send a letter stating that I was a customer, listing my account, etc.  I used this to get an account.

On another UK-Brit webpage, someone suggested using an online bank.  That way you could set up in the US, and aparently they are much easier to transfer money, etc... can't remember any more than this.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2005, 09:33:38 PM »
Just to throw my two cents in.  When I first moved to the UK, I had a hard time setting up a bank account.  I would def recommend getting a letter of recomendation from your US bank b/f you come over.  As soon as I set up my power company acct, I asked that they send a letter stating that I was a customer, listing my account, etc.  I used this to get an account.

Good thinking.
"An unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

• Out of Dodge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
I had two months worth of problems with Barclays. they dicked me around like many of the above, making appointments for weeks ahead and then cancelling them! They gave me incorrect information in regards to what to bring with me. And here I was thinking banks want our money. One Barclays I went into even told me their new account guy was on holiday for a month! It took all I could muster to try and keep the discrimination thoughts out of my head.

I did an online search and Nationwide came up as the best current account. I went into Nationwide and didn't need an appointment. They were friendly. There was no queue. Unfortunately because I had been messed around for so long due to other appointments my utility bill was two days past the 3-month date! I had used this form to get visas, married and couldn't get a bank account with it!

When I finally walked in there on my own the girl that was there was severly hungover and that turned out in my favor. See, my utility bill said Mrs. D Lastname. And my husband's first name starts with D as well. Good thing she wasn't feisty or my name would be mud!

However I am stuck with the cash card until at least 6 months of no fault banking. And every month I transfer money to pay off bills in the states and they go out of their way to help me get it done on time. Despite making me feel like I am 12 years old with my first bank account, they are really helpful and I love how I never have to queue!
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

• Liked: 7
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2005, 01:14:12 AM »

I have tried everything I can think of from here, and gotten nothing.
I even went into Halifax with my Beloved and he asked that I be added to his account. I had a Passport and a bill with my name on it at the UK adress. Nothing! I was so mad.
I hate being invisible. I felt like such a nobody...

I am gonna be in trouble.
I will be living on a barge...we don't pay council tax, just a mooring fee. I hope that will work instead. And I will not be coming with a job.
How does one go about getting on the voter rolls even as a non voter, non Brit?
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2005, 09:42:52 AM »
How does one go about getting on the voter rolls even as a non voter, non Brit?

Garry can help you with this.  If he doesn't see this question, maybe you could PM him.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 10:02:38 PM »
Garry can help you with this.  If he doesn't see this question, maybe you could PM him.

She pm'd cuz normally I don't look over here  :-[

She needs to be at least registered at the local authority - it means paying council tax - and since she's living on a barge paying only a mooring fee, it's not going to work.  Sometimes I'll write up a letter of introduction if I know the person, but letters are not a sure-fire method - they get mixed results...

The Russian community get their people on BT and British Gas bills *months* before they arrive.  And the Somalian community even pitch in and share the workload of a rota.  It's legit too.  American expats don't have that sort of community cohesion.  But there's no reason her bf can't have some of the bills sent to her name at his address.  Especially during the late spring and summer when consumption is low.  You can have the bills sent to Santa Claus if you want.

Once the account is open, you simply go to the customer manager and say "I need to make a change of address"  ;D  Cheeky. 

BUT, a suggestion for you, peedal, why not start a thread that lists out all the sorts of id's and address docs somebody can get in the UK without too much hassle, and sort of give people some ideas for building up a folio of id's and registrations and what-not.  And try to make it *STICKY*  cuz lots of people have this problem.  I'll jump in and add whatever I think of.  A council parking permit, for example, can be obtained with a tenancy agreement and the signature of a CofE official.  That plus 30 pounds gets you a photo id with London Transit.  And that plus a major CC (from anywhere) gets you ...  and on and on...

• Liked: 7
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2005, 10:07:40 PM »
Yes we finally did get my name on his utility bills, but have yet to recieve one because they come quartly. But I am sure one will come before I need it. (but I will have only one. )
Will a letter from my bank in the US help at all, or are those days done?
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2005, 10:49:39 AM »
I had to have a letter of introduction for Citibank...it can only help.

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2005, 07:38:14 PM »
I recently opened an account at Barclay's that was very easy and painless to do.  I wanted an account there as they have a reciprocal agreement with Bank of America that you can use their ATMS without fees (convenient for trips back to the US).  My husband and I went to our local branch without an appoinment and brought our passports and proof of address.  Fortunately for me I had a basic savings account at HSBC.  All we did was show our passports and proof of address and they opened us up a no fee current account with debit cards with no problems at all.  I am currently unemployed but that didn't seem to matter.  The man who opened the accounts said that seeing that I had an account with another bank was good enough for them....  I was actually going to come on the board to recommend them and then was really surprised when I saw all the hassle other people had at Barclays!  The only bit that irritated me was we had to tell them a lot of stuff I thought was none of their business such as how much do we spend per month on entertainment, etc. 

Sponsored Links