Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, who *does* accept American Express?  (Read 3102 times)

• Liked: 0
So, who *does* accept American Express?
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
I have my bright, shiny, new American Express card, and I've never been happier to have actually qualified for a credit card  ::).  The question now is, where can I use it?  I got the card to start building a credit history/score, so it's important to me to use the thing.  I know Amazon takes AmEx, but does anyone know of other big retailers that do?  I would particularly love to find a grocery store!

Re: So, who *does* accept American Express?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »
Marks and Spencer!  I have an American Express card that I mostly use at M&S because I know for sure that they'll accept it.  Quite a lot of big high street retailers will also accept AmEx, but not all (I'm looking at you, John Lewis!).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:17:06 AM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »
I use my AmEx more than any other card because it's linked to my British Airways account. I've found that just about everyone takes it - Sainsburys and Waitrose definitely do so I suspect Tesco must as well. I put petrol on it too so I know BP, Esso, and Shell all take it.... Actually I know Tesco do as dh has used it to get Tesco petrol.

I actually find it to be a rarity when people don't take it. It's usually smaller non-chain stores that won't.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
For anyone looking for a new account, you might want to consider the Lloyds-TSB "Airmiles Duo" card account.   It provides an AmEx card which earns air miles on each use, but also provides a MasterCard which is linked to the same account for those places which won't accept AmEx.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »
Yep, I have this...I sort of suspected when I read their terms and conditions that, since they aware more miles for the use of AmEx, fewer places take it.  I try not to use my cards at all, but it's nice to know, for Airmiles purposes, if I do use them I at least can use the MasterCard if AmEx isn't accepted.

I seem to remember that Clark's takes American Express as well...hopefully, with everything you've read so far, Mungo, you should have a great start at building up that credit rating.
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
I have the Airmiles cards, and I've found that a lot more places than I expected take the Amex. Most chain stores I've shopped in have taken it, and even some local retailers. Generally, though, I've found that if it's just a small local shop it probably won't take it because the fees are too high. The supermarket chains I've been to all take it.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
Marks and Spencer!  I have an American Express card that I mostly use at M&S because I know for sure that they'll accept it.  Quite a lot of big high street retailers will also accept AmEx, but not all (I'm looking at you, John Lewis!).

John Lewis takes AmEx.  Maybe it's a new thing, but they definitely take it now.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
I actually find it to be a rarity when people don't take it. It's usually smaller non-chain stores that won't.

This is my experience as well. 

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »
John Lewis takes AmEx.  Maybe it's a new thing, but they definitely take it now.

I'll have to try again...last time I tried was about June 2007-ish, and they wouldn't accept it (at least the one in Sheffield wouldn't!)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »
I'll have to try again...last time I tried was about June 2007-ish, and they wouldn't accept it (at least the one in Sheffield wouldn't!)

The only reason I realized it was that we just used it there last week.   :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »
I have had a American Express Gold Card for many years but I don't get air miles.

How do I get air miles with Am Ex.?

My guess is that I need a special type of card from them.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »
Almost every airline has their own mileage award cards that are amex.

I have the Virgin one cause that's what we fly most often. The others I can think of right now are Delta, BA, JetBlue, and Virgin-America. There are probably plenty others.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
Almost every airline has their own mileage award cards that are amex.

I have the Virgin one cause that's what we fly most often. The others I can think of right now are Delta, BA, JetBlue, and Virgin-America. There are probably plenty others.

Thanks Mort! Now who should I fly with? Maybe you just brought my trip to the UK closer :D

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
Thanks all!  I just found out that the Co-operative does as well, which is super-convenient, as they have a shop just down the street. 

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »

It's Sheffield, you probably got the wrong nut of the day.   ;)  They should accept what they accept online, plus they're the same partnership as Waitrose, so they should both accept the same payment methods anyway.

Sponsored Links