Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: GUESS WHAT!!!!!  (Read 2659 times)

Re: GUESS WHAT!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2004, 04:43:36 AM »
Congrats on the job Stacey!! :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2004, 05:43:41 AM »
Congrats Stacey!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2004, 09:27:31 AM »
Thanks again!  I keep looking at the website thinking, WOW!!!  I can't wait to get back on campus.  I just love the whole Uni vibe!!!

Oh, Howard, your neice it there.  Maybe we could meet up some time ;D.  All about making my own friends now.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks all!  I am just so excited!  I have to say I'd been getting a lot of rejections basically saying I had too much experience!  I'm glad someone understood the fact that could still take a step down and be fulfilled!!!!  (I’ve been a fundraiser for eight years and wanted to do something less stressful with normal hours) I Love U of Surrey, it’s so nice!!!!

Hey, Stacey, can I ask how you got around the "too much experience" issue? I'm having the same reaction as I've done relatively high level marketing jobs in a very narrow sector for years and years but that's not what I want anymore. Did you "dumb down" your CV or did you just keep plugging away? I can't even get as far as an interview to try to explain myself!!!  ::)

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2004, 12:06:50 PM »
Hi Anne, yes, I did scale it down a bit.  But also in my covering letter I said that I wanted to take a step down from what I had previously been doing.  Let me know if you want me to PM anything to you as example.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2004, 06:44:27 PM »
Hi Stacey,

Congratulations on the job. 

You said that you wanted your own friends...  When I first moved here in '96 with my Brit husband, I got a temporary six month contract with a local corporation.  I left after the contract was up because we started a family.  But eight years later, some of the people I met at and through that job have become my closest friends here in England.

Good luck.

Kellie
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2004, 06:47:23 PM »
Thanks Kellie ;D  That is what I love to hear!!!

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2004, 10:39:17 PM »
Dear Stacey,
Oh, Howard, your neice it there.  Maybe we could meet up some time .  All about making my own friends now.
Lucy is a lovely girl.  It is her first job after university (she went to Brighton Uni, not Surrey), and she has been in it only a few months.  I am sure she would love to meet up with a fellow 'newbie'.  Give me a few days and I'll find out which department she works in - I am pretty sure it is one of the ones on the campus - and I'll PM you with contact details.  She's on holiday abroad at the moment, I think, so it will take a day or two!

Howard
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2004, 11:17:17 PM »
Thank you Howard!!!  (For the picture comments too  ;))

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2004, 03:12:35 AM »
Sorry it's taken me so long to post my congrats, Stacey.  That's great news!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2004, 10:21:39 AM »
Stacey, to answer your earlier question, you would go through the Department for Work and Pensions and/or your local JobCentre to set up an interview.  But if there's someone in the University who can help you through it, use their services by all means!  I think others can tell you that the NI interview is a lot more *thorough* than the Visa interviews!  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2004, 10:26:21 AM »
Thank you Peedal,  I had a feeling about that, so I found the site I had saved a while ago from a post here.  http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/  I found a local jobcentre in Guildford, I should just ring them up and make an appointment, is that correct?  I should be getting my letter soon stating I have the job. 

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2004, 10:57:10 AM »
Yep - just ring them up and tell them you have a job you're starting soon and you want to make an appointment.  And don't let them tell you that you have to be working already - you are entitled to the interview NOW!  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »
I called and the phone didn't ring.  Maybe I'll go past there today or tomorrow.  I have the address.

Thanks again Peedal!!!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab