Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: EEA Family Permit Application: Supporting Document Questions  (Read 9588 times)

• Liked: 0
EEA Family Permit Application: Supporting Document Questions
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »
Here's a list of the documents I have to submit with my EEA Family Permit Application which will be submitted online at the end of this month and probably processed in September. Would love feedback from anyone who has been through this or knows about the process. Do I have everything right? Anything missing? Thank you for taking a look!

-my husband's WRS
-my husband's passport
-my husband's work contract
-my husband's pay stubs for Aug, Jul, Jun (do I need more months?)
-my husband's bank statements for Aug, Jul, Jun (do I need more months?)
-my husband's rental agreement which states that the property owner knows that I am his wife, that I will be residing at the property as well, that the rental agreement is for 6 months but it is renewable
-our marriage certificate

I have the following documents as well. Do they need to be included?
-my bank statements for Aug, Jul, Jun (do I need more months?)
-proof of our continual contact (phone logs, emails, chat)
-proof of our past/ongoing relationship (photos, letters, etc)
-proof of our cohabitation prior to and during our marriage, in the form of bills and bank statements sent to the same address
-also, I am self-employed (outsourced/contracted employee) with no pay stubs, do I need to provide other evidence of income besides bank statements?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:27:03 PM by chrissie »
Status: Non-European family member of EEA national. Living in UK with husband.
Husband's status: Polish citizen exercising treaty rights in UK.

EEA JOURNEY
22/07/09 Husband returns to UK and commences work on WRS

30/08/09 EEA FP app submitted online
02/09/09 Biometrics
16/09/09 EEA FP app expedited to British Consulate in LA
16/09/09 EEA FP entry clearance issued!

22/03/10 FMRS app submitted
08/06/10 FMRS issued!
20/09/10 FMRS received in post :/

Re: EEA Family Permit Application: Supporting Document Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »
Looks good! This is more or less what I submitted for the 2 EEA FPs I applied for (applied for second in order to extend my entry clearance status while waiting on residence card). I think the biggies are your passport, an original marriage certificate, and the documents proving he's currently employed (the 3 most recent paystubs should be enough). For my first application I dropped in a few photos of our civil marriage too, but if you're including a marriage certificate, I don't think that establishing history stuff is so critical. We also included a letter signed by my husband saying that he was aware that he would be considered financially responsible, etc. for me. GOOD LUCK!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
Oh great! Thank you so much for filling me in on your application. :) And thanks for pointing out the "biggies." I didn't know--so this is amazingly helpful!

Then, I'll leave out the history extras (proof of contact/phone logs/emails/photos/proof of cohabitation). I know with US immigration you can't really be approved without these. And I'm thinking, from what you say, EEA FP is more relaxed. ??? This is good, actually great! Now there's a load of pressure taken off. Also that letter sounds like a great idea! We might have to borrow that idea for my app. Thank you!!

One last question: anyone know if my bank statements are a must? Or are they just extra documents that could possibly help?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:35:32 PM by chrissie »

EEA JOURNEY

02/09/09 Biometrics

08/06/10 FMRS issued!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Hiya!  Just going through the same process myself right now, and sent my application in two weeks ago.  All I submitted were our two passports, the required photos, our civil partnership certificate and a letter from his employer.  As of today I received my Certificate of Application.  I didn't submit any bank statements at all and didn't seem to be a problem since they certified me!  But...they could possibly help in establishing that you can support yourself, however the Certificate of Application states:

"Thank you for your application of 06 August 2009 for a Residence Card or Permanent Residence Card.  Until such time as your application has been decided by the UK Border Agency, you will be treated for immigration purposes as a family member of a legally resident EEA national and, as such, you are free to live and work in the United Kingdom."

So my next step seems to be to register for a National Insurance number and to get to work!  Should be the same for you no doubt.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
I hired a lawyer in the UK to help me process my EEA Family Permit application. I was told that I overdid it, but I felt better overdoing it than having it rejected. Granted, I had also applied for 3 UK Visas in 2 months, so I was being extra careful. I included everything you did, including my own bank statements, the emails, photos, cards that we sent each other. In addition, I also got 3 testimonials from friends/family and Me and my husband wrote up a letter explaining the progression of our relationship and signed it as well. The solicitor included a lengthy cover letter citing the different areas of EEA law that indicated my husband (the EU Citizen) was exercising his rights, etc. All in all, it was a pretty sizable application and took forever to collate. I also included copies of everything included so the binder i ended up submitting was easily over 500 pages. That said, I got my EEA Family Permit approved in 24 hours using a NY Courier, so it was worth all the effort. :) I'm now on the Residence Card mission. I've sent in much less documentation for that.

Hope this helps. Wishing you lots of luck! I was tearing out my hair while going through the process. :P
6/26/2006: Met hubby in NYC and start dating
9/9/2006: He leaves for France :( Long distance relationship ensues
2/17/2009 - Moved to London on Tier 2. Huge mess with Tier 2 and Tier 1 visas ensues
4/15/2009 - Get married in NYC
4/16/2009 - Complete online EEA Family Permit Application
4/21/2009 - Complete Biometrics and submit to courier
4/22/2009 - EEA Family Permit visa issued! :)
4/26/2009 -  Back in London! :D :D :D
8/10/2009 - Submitted EEA 2 App
8/26/2009 - Obtained EEA Residence Card! ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:16:12 AM »
Thank you both for offering such detailed information on your experiences and applications! I can't tell you how thankful I am for all the help and kindness I receive and experience here on UK Yankee. Both your responses are very key in helping gauge my own application. :) I'm sure mine will be something between the two. Congratulations to you both! Can't wait to be in your shoes!!

And DanielD1980, that's great to hear your process was so quick! I'm hoping mine will be the same. Did you need to get biometrics done? If so, how long was the wait for that appointment and getting the results? I ask, because I've been trawling for cheap airline tickets and low train fares--found some great ones that I would love to jump on (for Sep 24)... though I'd only be submitting my online application tomorrow (Aug 21). What do former EEA FP applicants suggest?

Thank you for your help!

EEA JOURNEY

02/09/09 Biometrics

08/06/10 FMRS issued!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
Hiya Chrissie,

I didn't have to do any biometrics for my EEA2 Application, however when I did my fiance visa application I did and since I lived in Birmingham, AL and there was a biometrics location there. I litterally only had to make an appointment for a couple of days out and didn't have to wait at all.  I would suppose that the UK Border Agency already would have your biometrics from any prior visa you used to enter the country.  Are you being told you will have to have them taken?  If so, by whom?  Best of luck with it!

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
Chrissie Please be aware that you are doing the Family Permit from the US and DanielD has applied for his Residence Permit while in the UK...two different situations.  You can't compare apples to oranges.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:36 AM »
WebyJ:  I wasn't trying to compare two incongruous things--I simply wasn't aware. He replied to my call for people with personal insight on EEA FP matters. I took it for face value.

DanielD1980: Thanks again for your reply. :) I'm pretty sure I need to take biometrics. WebyJ, in fact, mentioned that I must schedule this in a previous question that I posted. And it looks like in that post, others agreed. Anyway, thanks again for your insight. Was very helpful!

And to any former and current EEA FP applicants: what should I put in the first section of the application? Here are my answers. Are they alright? What did you guys put?

-Main purpose of your visit to UK? Reunited with my husband
-How long do you intend to stay? indefinitely (what are we supposed to put here.. I'm going on FP with intent to apply for FMRS, EE2, EEA1 sequentially, etc.)
-Travel Date? Sep 24 2009 (too early? or should i put a later date?)
-On which date will you leave? no date (what should I put here, if I am planning to take the correct legal steps to stay?)

Thank you all for reading. Any insight from those who have applied or are applying for the EEA FP would be most appreciated.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:58:48 AM by chrissie »

EEA JOURNEY

02/09/09 Biometrics

08/06/10 FMRS issued!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »
Hi chrissie,

When I applied for the EEA Family Permit, I filled out the application online and the questions you are asking aren't in the first part, but in Section 6 of the Online VAF5 application. The questions are therefore a little different. The questions you are asking sound like they are from the EEA paper application downloaded from the UKBA. I was given this to fill out for my lawyers originally but when they transferred it to the online application, they asked slightly different questions in addition. I believe that if you're applying from the US, you're supposed to be using the Online Form at http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx and submit your original documents separately via mail or courier. Just bear that in mind.

-Main purpose of your visit to UK? Reunited with my husband They did not ask this question in my online app
-How long do you intend to stay? indefinitely (what are we supposed to put here.. I'm going on FP with intent to apply for FMRS, EE2, EEA1 sequentially, etc.) Answer should just be "Permanent"
-Travel Date? Sep 24 2009 (too early? or should i put a later date?) When I applied, I used a courier. I submitted my VAF5 form online and booked my biometrics within 3 business days. I used a courier and got my EEA Family Permit back within 24 hours of my biometrics. So overall, it only took 4 business days after gathering all data and submitting my online application to be issued. That said, Sept 24 should be more than enough time if you have all your information now and are ready to submit. I'm not sure what the wait time is if you are not using a courier. But the longest wait time using a courier in NY should be around 2 weeks if you have a very complicated application with problems, or at least that's what my courier told me.
-On which date will you leave? no date (what should I put here, if I am planning to take the correct legal steps to stay?) I did not have this question on the online app

I hope this helps you! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers!
6/26/2006: Met hubby in NYC and start dating
9/9/2006: He leaves for France :( Long distance relationship ensues
2/17/2009 - Moved to London on Tier 2. Huge mess with Tier 2 and Tier 1 visas ensues
4/15/2009 - Get married in NYC
4/16/2009 - Complete online EEA Family Permit Application
4/21/2009 - Complete Biometrics and submit to courier
4/22/2009 - EEA Family Permit visa issued! :)
4/26/2009 -  Back in London! :D :D :D
8/10/2009 - Submitted EEA 2 App
8/26/2009 - Obtained EEA Residence Card! ;D ;D ;D

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:54 PM »
I have a question along the same lines, as I'm sending out my supporting documentation tomorrow after my biometrics appointment...

On the this of stuff to include, the list says this:
* If you are in the US - Valid US Immigration Status (originals not copies) e.g. Permanent Resident Card, Advance Parole Document, H1B visa, F1 with I-20 etc

What does that mean? Should I include a copy of my birth certificate to show I'm a US citizen? This is the only one I'm hung up on.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »
I have a question along the same lines, as I'm sending out my supporting documentation tomorrow after my biometrics appointment...

On the this of stuff to include, the list says this:
* If you are in the US - Valid US Immigration Status (originals not copies) e.g. Permanent Resident Card, Advance Parole Document, H1B visa, F1 with I-20 etc

What does that mean? Should I include a copy of my birth certificate to show I'm a US citizen? This is the only one I'm hung up on.

With my spousal visa, I was told not to worry about that--if you're sending them your original passport, it's proof of your citizenship status. I would presume it would be similar with EEA permits as well (but again, I haven't done the EEA route, just the UK spousal).
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
Okay! That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure. :)

Looked like it was more for immigrants within the US, rather than citizens.
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »
Okay! That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure. :)

Looked like it was more for immigrants within the US, rather than citizens.

Yeah, I did a little O.o face when I read it on the list for UK spousal visa documents I got with my email, but I remember reading that it was mainly for immigrants and such, so I think you're good to go with your passport :)
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 05:39:24 PM »
Hi uk4love, this is awesome, thank you! Very helpful! You're right, I was filling in the paper document for preparation before filling in the online one. Now I've noted your tips, I hope to submit it very shortly. Just waiting on one more doc from DH. Once we have everything, I hope ours will go as fast! *fingers crossed*

To all, I have few more random questions on the EEA FP application. (I'm using the paper app for preparation before submitting my online app.) What do you think about my answers?

2.7 Details of previous passports
Had two prior passports as a child, these passports have been destroyed (??? Do they need more details, because I really have no clue)

5.3, 5.6, 5.7 Company you work for, employer's contact info
Self-employed (Do I list my own information, or the client that I do the most work for? It seems a bit odd for me to contact my client and ask if it's ok that I put their contact information on my visa application… What should I do?)

6.7 Have you made application to Home Office to remain in UK in last 10 years?
Yes, IGS on Jan 26 2008 (Do I put yes? I applied for IGS after my student visa. My IGS visa says "Residence Permit , Limited Leave to Remain)

8.1.11 EEA National Registration Certificate Number
(which number? My husband sent me "WRS Reference Number" and "WRS Work Card Serial Number"… One he received 5 years ago when he first entered/worked in the UK. The other he received this May for his current job, when resuming work in the UK after a long break. Which to put?)

8.2.9 Have you lived with the EEA National in a relationship like a marriage at any time?
Yes (What else do I put??? What is this question asking? If we physically lived together before and/or after marriage? Or simply if we are married?)

8.6 Do you have a valide residence card for an EEA Member country?
No (Will they scrutinize this answer???)

8.7.5 Have you or EEA National ever been married or in a long-term marriage-like relationship before?
(Does this question include our current relationship/marriage? Or is this simply asking about relationships prior to our current one?)

Part 9 Is there any additional intformation you wish to be considered as part of your application?
I was thinking of putting details about my situation and that my dad would be able to financially support me if there was any unforseen problem:
After graduating in late 2007, I travelled for a year. I returned to the US with DH (who was then my fiance) in Dec 2008 to meet my family and to get married. While we have been working on visa details, I haven't been able to settle. Since Dec 2008, I have been working as a freelance writer/new media consultant. Once in the UK, I aim to secure a full-time position as staff writer or editorial assistant. I would be able to support myself with what earnings I currently make, and I hope to secure a better position upon entering the UK. My father is willing and able to support me, If there are any unforseen circumstances. (Of course this would be better worded. And I am planning to submit a letter signed by my father and his bank statements. He's obviously very well-off, while my husband and I are not at all at the moment—especially after a year of travelling and traipsing about. I am worried about how our finances might look. While we have no debts, we have no savings at the moment—well very little worth mentioning. DH has steady income, while I have a rather irregular one. Will this final portion be necessary? Will this help?)

Thank you all for reading, I'm sorry this is a long one! Any insight on my questions/answers would be most appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:44:35 PM by chrissie »

EEA JOURNEY

02/09/09 Biometrics

08/06/10 FMRS issued!

Sponsored Links