Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 13th month ?  (Read 1097 times)

• Relio
  • Liked: 0
13th month ?
« on: July 19, 2004, 01:11:06 AM »
I was just wondering

In Portugal, we have something called the 13th month, basically in December you get 2 paychecks (yep, heck of a perk)

Does the same happen in the Uk ?

cheers

Null
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.  Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians."

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
Re: 13th month ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 01:45:27 AM »
Not in my experience.  UK employers, even after over 150 years of trade union struggles, remain closed-fisted sods!
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 06:36:36 AM »
Sorry Null... never heard of this!
Some places pay out a Christmas bonus, maybe, but nothing like a double pay-cheque.

• Relio
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 01:24:40 PM »
Dang

I wont call the portuguese cheap bastards anymore :D

It's an automatic thing in PT .. never realised what a nice perk it was until I moved ot the USA .. gettign 2 checks at XMAS time sure makes the season better ;)

(and they do give you the check with the end of november check, so you can shop in December)
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.  Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians."

• Relio
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »
My folks just told me that, ever retirees get the double check :)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 07:55:41 PM »
This might not happen to you, but it's happened to me in several companies that i've worked for....

January is a LONG month.
Employers will sometimes pay you early in December... for example,  if you normally get paid on the 20th, they might pay you on the 15th, so you can go Christmas shopping.
But your next pay wont be until the 20th of January, so you've got an extra week to try to scrape by in January.  You feel like pay-day is never coming!   :-\\\\

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:23:10 PM »
That's happened to me too Broxi, you feel really rich for a couple of weeks then live on bread and cheese for weeks ...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab