Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The dreaded Tax Season  (Read 2715 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
The dreaded Tax Season
« on: February 08, 2003, 07:44:15 PM »
I'm sure someone here knows what to do about this. My parents just told me that they have my W2's and this got me to thinking what I've got to do.

I worked for 10 months in the US before I was married and moved here. I really don't know what to do.

Do I have to file under married status now?
If so, how do I do that if he doesn't have a SSN?
Do I have to pay state taxes?
How will I get my tax returns? ( I know I'll get money back, I always do).

Help! I still have time, but I'd really like to get this all done asap.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Re: The dreaded Tax Season
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 11:03:41 PM »
I'm sure someone here knows what to do about this. My parents just told me that they have my W2's and this got me to thinking what I've got to do.

I worked for 10 months in the US before I was married and moved here. I really don't know what to do.

I think you can file married, filing single.  I'm sure others will have more info about filing US taxes while being married to a UK resident.

Yes, you have to file state taxes.  Check your state dept. of revenue website -- some states (like MN) don't allow you to file extensions for state taxes.  Bah!

How do you get your refund?  If you still have a US bank account, they can direct deposit the refund into that.  If you don't, I'm sure a refund check from the US government would be accepted by your UK bank.

The US Embassy has an IRS FAQ:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irsfaq.htm

Try that, call them with questions, and check your former state dept. of revenue.  

HTH,
Stephanie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 08:21:24 PM »

You can file Married Filing Separately, which will take care of your status.  State taxes?  Well, I left IL and don't live there so I ain't paying no stinkin' taxes, but I guess if you still have ties to the state you're from then you do.  I don't know what the law is on that.  And if you have a bank account in the US, you can direct deposit your refund into your account.  If not, then I'm sure they will issue you a paper check.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 06:24:53 PM »
Hi Ashley

I assume you are talking about the tax year 2002 and also that you spouse is not a US citizen or green card holder. If this is the case did she live in the US during 2002?

In general if you are considered married for the entire tax year if on the last day of your tax year you are married and living with you spouse. When married, you have a choice of either filing jointly or separately.Filing separately, in some circumstances is more tax efficient. We need to discuss further.

If you spouse lived in the US for part or all of 2002, or part or all of 2001, she may also have a filing requirement. I need to ask more questions to determine this. If she does indeed have a filing requirement, you need to apply for a SSN or an ITIN before filing a return . This is done on Form W-7. I recommend that you do this as soon as possible. Let me know if you need my help  with this.

You will indeed need to file a part-year State return also during the year that you leave the US. Which State are you from?  Deoending on the State, you may need to file a full -year return instead. Again I need more information to determine exactly what needs to be done.

As far as how you will file your tax return, obvioulsy I can take this on for you and ensure that this is prepared and filed by the due date.  Alternatively, you can get in touch with the US embassy here in london or visit the IRS website.  Both are very helpful.

Please feel free to either call me or send me an e-mail and we can discuss you spefic situation in more detail.

Best regards
Helen Tanhaie
HT Tax
tel: 020 8 466 9297
e-mail: h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab