Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advisory: Budgeting for Spouse/Fiance(e)/Unmarried Partner visas  (Read 51471 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Advisory: Budgeting for Spouse/Fiance(e)/Unmarried Partner visas
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
The question "How much does your sponsor spend on living costs".

How do we answer that if I am my husband's sponsor and at present we both live here in the US.  We both will be moving in with my mum temporarily until we find our own accommodation, just contributing towards the utilities and of course food.  :)

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »
The question "How much does your sponsor spend on living costs".

How do we answer that if I am my husband's sponsor and at present we both live here in the US.  We both will be moving in with my mum temporarily until we find our own accommodation, just contributing towards the utilities and of course food.  :)

You would put the amounts that you would be contributing to your mother as your costs for living in the UK. You would then need to provide a letter from her stating what your arrangements are, who lives in the residence and who owns the residence.

If she owns the residence then you need her deed or download the information from the Land Registry website and her most recent mortgage statement. If she rents, then you need a letter of permission from the landlord stating that it is OK for you & your family to live there. If it is a council house, then she needs to get a letter of permission from the council.

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
You would put the amounts that you would be contributing to your mother as your costs for living in the UK. You would then need to provide a letter from her stating what your arrangements are, who lives in the residence and who owns the residence.

If she owns the residence then you need her deed or download the information from the Land Registry website and her most recent mortgage statement. If she rents, then you need a letter of permission from the landlord stating that it is OK for you & your family to live there. If it is a council house, then she needs to get a letter of permission from the council.

Thanks for your reply.  I have a letter from my mum and a copy of the Land Registry document, she owns the property (no mortgage).

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
Recently, due to all the numerous budgeting discussions, it has come to light that an advisory needed to be done on budgets & budgeting and how they may affect your visa application.

The guidelines on Maintenance state that a couple must be able to maintain & accommodate themselves without need for public funds and that it is not reasonable to expect a family to live on less than what a British family of their size be receiving in Income Support.

What does this mean?

In a nutshell it basically means that in order to meet the maintenance requirement you need to show income to cover your rent/mortgage & council tax PLUS £100.95/wk for a couple. If there are children in your family then you must show an additional £56.11/wk in income to cover their maintenance requirements.

Just remember that these are the bottom of the barrel minimums and it is the ECO's discretion if they think you meet it or not. Of course the more above it you are the more likely your application will not have issues with maintenance.

Furthermore, it has come to light that some people are getting 'creative' with their budgeting. Such as stating on their applications that they only spend £10/wk in food costs for 2 people?!?! or that their utility costs are only £2 a month?!?!  

Be honest and realistic in your budgeting folks. The ECO's are not stupid. If you're not, we have seen where these grossly understated figures have pushed the line of Deception on a Visa Application and therefore risking refusal under section 320. If that happens you're basically going to be out of luck in obtaining a UK visa for a VERY long time. Don't risk it.

Just an update to the above advisory that as of 6 April 2010 the support amounts have increased to £102.75 for a couple and £57.57 for dependent children.

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Just an update to the above advisory that as of 6 April 2010 the support amounts have increased to £102.75 for a couple and £57.57 for dependent children.

Thanks for the heads-up, WebyJ!!

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
i have a question then.... it says have 100 pounds left over after paying rent and taxes. so what about other bills or are they only worried about rent and tax. my fiancee has a job and makes about 800-900 a month. our rent is about 250 a month and tax is about 60 a month or less. so would we be ok and also i will be getting work once we get married and i get my visa and i am already in the process of getting work set up for myself before i get visa hopefully. also on the application for spouse visa i could of swore it said money in and then money out. do you just put money out as what you pay for rent and taxes or is it all bills and groceries????

thank you
xxxxx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:51:30 AM by misfitfreak »
June 1st-married
June 2nd-applied for spouse visa
June 2nd-biometrics (git in before my appointment date)
June 2nd-package overnighted to courier
June 3rd- courier received my package and looked it over and mailed to consulant
June 4th-consulant received my package
June 4th- received email that evening saying i was apporoved
June 7th- received my visa
June 16th-flew back to U.k with my husband

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
It's the amount after after rent and council tax only and not any other bills (although if you like you can include a budget detailing all your expenses).

UK couples on government income support receive £102.75 per week to live off after rent and council tax have been accounted for. So you need to show you have at least £102.75 per week of your own money after you have paid rent and council tax (but no other expenses or bills), as that is the amount you would receive if you were allowed to claim UK income support.

With just the income from his job, if he brings home £800 per month:

£800 - £310 = £490 after rent and council tax.

£490/4.3 (number of weeks in a month) = £113.95 per week

and if he brings home £900 per month:

£900 - £310 = £590 after rent and council tax

£590/4.3 = £137.21 per week

So, in either case, you still have more than £102.75 left each week and so you will meet the financial requirement for the visa.

However, you can supplement this income with any savings that either of you have and also if you do secure a job offer before you apply for the visa, then a letter showing the offer of employment and your salary can also be used as part of your financial evidence.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
thank you so much for the reply. i really thank everyone for there help.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
June 1st-married
June 3rd- courier received my package and looked it over and mailed to consulant

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »
I have a question...

I am English and have lived the UK all my life, so I take the budget concerns on a fiancee visa are all to do with only my income? My fiancee has alimony that will continue for a full year after she applies to live in the UK, will her alimony be allowable as our joint income?

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:15 PM »
I have a question...

I am English and have lived the UK all my life, so I take the budget concerns on a fiancee visa are all to do with only my income? My fiancee has alimony that will continue for a full year after she applies to live in the UK, will her alimony be allowable as our joint income?

If she has documentation that shows that the income will continue despite her leaving the US and her new marriage then yes, it can be used to meet the maintenece requirement. So she would need to produce the Court Order that states what the terms & conditions of her Alimony are.

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »
Thanks WebyJ...Thats great news :D

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »
Hi!  Just a quick question from a newbie...  Does the figure required for children mean said amount for EACH child?  My fiancee has 4 children...

Thanks so much!

Teddy
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.  ~The Beatles

• Liked: 4
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 03:20:58 AM »
Yes, the amount is per child.

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:02 AM »
Hi!  Just a quick question from a newbie...  Does the figure required for children mean said amount for EACH child?  My fiancee has 4 children...

Thanks so much!

Teddy

The amount listed of £57.57 is per week per child.

So it would be £57.57 x 4 weeks x 4 children = £921.12. On top of that you need to add in the couple requirement of £102.75 per week. £102.75 x 4 weeks = £411. So in your situation you would need to show a maintenance amount of £1332.12 after housing & council tax costs have been paid.

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
ok i am gettng a bit worried about the money side. me(usc) and my spouse(ukc) are not rich. we do not having savings except for the money for the visa. he does work and makes enough to cover rent and tax and will still have 460 left over and also he applied for workling tax credits which will be another 400 a month. but i am worried cause money has been tight since he only started working last month. do you think i am doomed. also do you think we will have a issue cause he only has 1 paycheck stub(1 month) and he will get payed while we are there but no way to get his paycheck stub while we are getting married in texas..... any advice pleaseeeeee
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:55:06 PM by misfitfreak »
June 1st-married

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab