Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ISC New York, NY Can Kiss It  (Read 15482 times)

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
ISC New York, NY Can Kiss It
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
As if I didn't have to wait long enough already (2 months) for my hubby to finish retrieving the last documents he needed to send to me, now my package (which he sent registered) is stuck at ISC New York, NY (i.e. customs).  It arrived on Sept 11, so almost a week ago, but you can't open an investigation for 10 days.

Anyone else ever had this lovely experience with the USPS?  If so, any effective solutions to rush the process?  I was reading complaints and see people waiting 30-60 days for packages that have been stuck.  I'm supposed to leave on Oct 19th...obviously not going to happen if I'm still waiting for hubby's documents.  Thank God I decided to wait until I had all the documents in my hand before applying online and losing all that money.

Oh and btw...I've NEVER had this issue in the last 2 1/2 years of us mailing stuff back and forth until now...of course!

Re: ISC New York, NY Can Kiss It
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
I've never sent important documents through standard post (ie Royal Mail or USPS). We always recommend that (especially when getting docs together for a visa etc) to use FedEx or UPS as you can track the shipment internationally (with RM to USPS you cannot) and it is insured & guaranteed for delivery. It's a bit more, but for speed and peace of mind you might find that it's a world apart from what you're experiencing now.

FedEx International Priority

I would recommend that he gather the documents again and this time ship it FedEx. You should have it in a couple of days.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
Well he sent it registered and you can track it through both Royal Mail and USPS.  It updates every location (i.e., leaving sorting facility, in transit, at ISC New York, etc) the same way FedEx and UPS does.  I actually told him to send it FedEx just so it would get here faster, but he didn't, so I can't control that.  He can't really resend because he sent his actual passport (which could be the reason it's being held up since the scanners may have detected the electronic chip and marked the package as suspicious).  Of course he could say his passport was lost and get a new one if it came to that.  The other stuff he sent, we already had to wait 2 months to get it to begin with.  We've sent stuff back and forth registered mail for the past 2 1/2 years and never had this issue.  It's just frustrating because of course this would happen right now!

After the 10 days I'm just going to open an investigation and state that I have immigration docements that are time-sensitive and I need this prioritized.  I can drive up there and pick it up in person, but something tells me that isn't a practical option.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
Well he sent it registered and you can track it through both Royal Mail and USPS.  It updates every location (i.e., leaving sorting facility, in transit, at ISC New York, etc) the same way FedEx and UPS does.

Interesting, because this has never worked in the past. If it's true then bonus!

I actually told him to send it FedEx just so it would get here faster, but he didn't, so I can't control that.  He can't really resend because he sent his actual passport... We've sent stuff back and forth registered mail for the past 2 1/2 years and never had this issue.  It's just frustrating because of course this would happen right now!

Oh well, I just trying to provide you options. I hope it all works out for you. But if you have a nose around for 'Royal Mail & USPS issues' you'll see this isn't the first (nor probably the last) time that something like this has happened to someone using the route that he did.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:56:24 PM by WebyJ »

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
Yeah I remember reading that here (even though we've never had any problems) which is why I specifically told him to send it FedEx...yay for men always having to be right!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
Oh Tarn, that truly sucks! Of all the times for something to get held up! Thank god, you decided to wait for the documents before you applied online. Believe me, I am taking notes so I can try to avoid these things. I really hope they release the package soon! Have you already bought your tickets? I found great cheap tickets for December & it's just killing me not to buy them because I just know that by the time we have visas in hand, the prices are going to be stupid. ugh Let us know what happens with the package.
7 November 2009 Married
4 December 2009 documents received by expediter & delivered to consulate in Chicago
9 December 2009 Visas approved and issued
14 December 2009 Arrived in UK
8 December 2011 Applied for ILR
19 February 2012 ILR approved

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
Well he sent it registered and you can track it through both Royal Mail and USPS.  It updates every location (i.e., leaving sorting facility, in transit, at ISC New York, etc) the same way FedEx and UPS does.

I've always been told by my local Royal Mail post office that registered post is only tracked until it leaves the UK and after that it is untraceable  :-\\\\.

I hope you manage to get hold of the documents soon though :).

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
I believe it is untraceable in the Royal Mail system after it gets handed over to the USPS.  You can however put the tracking number into the USPS system and track the package through the USPS side of things to your location. 

:)

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
Just to give you all an update, Royal Mail/USPS suck!

Basically there is nothing we can do but wait. 

The USPS customer service did assure me that if the package was held for more than 30 days, I would be notified in writing of the reason why.  WOW!  That helps so much! Thanks!

If I haven't gotten it in 2 more weeks my hubby is going to start the process for a new passport, gather the other papers, and remail everything through Fed Ex. 

On another note, hubby and I talked about planning a trip to UK in October or November, waiting until the New Year to apply for the visas instead of October (the list of reasons is a mile long and they're all good, practical reason but I just don't know if me or my daughter can handle being away from hubby for 4 more months)...guess we'll see what comes out of that.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
Package finally got un-stuck at customs in New York and will be delivered tomorrow...YAY!  Paid for my visa and have biometrics on Thursday...woot woot!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »
Congratulations!!!  ;D Glad it's all sorted.... good luck with the visa process.

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 05:48:55 PM »
Package finally got un-stuck at customs in New York and will be delivered tomorrow...YAY!  Paid for my visa and have biometrics on Thursday...woot woot!
Reason USPS is that they don't have their own custom agents.  Couriers like Fedex have their own in-house custom agents, so things move alot faster.  Found that out the hard way when my wife had to send me paperwork in the states.  Always use the big couriers!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab