Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Here on a UK Work Visa...what if we want to get married in the UK?  (Read 510 times)

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
Sorry if this has already been "asked and answered" here!

I'm a US citizen.  I've been in the UK for almost 19 months, working here in the UK on a 5-year work visa.  I moved here to be closer to my significant other, but we're thinking ahead to what we'd need to do when and if we decide to get married.

Has anyone else here had that experience...I mean, getting married in the UK while the American partner in the couple was here working and NOT here on a Fiance Visa?  I'm just wondering what steps we'd need to take...and whether it would be easier to get married here in the UK or back in the US?

Needless to say,  we would seek professional legal advice here before doing anything.  But, again, the reason for my note is just to see if this situation has already  happened to anybody here.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Janet

Re: Here on a UK Work Visa...what if we want to get married in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 06:18:13 PM »
Hi,

I was not here on a work permit, but just on a regular visiting visa.  We got married without the fiancee visa with no problems.  However, I have to say that the post that Elle has placed at the top of this section should be read first.  I am no expert and we might have just been lucky to have had no problems. 

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 08:54:08 PM »
I'll say what Stacey said, that this is certainly not legal advice, but I'm here on a student visa and getting married in October before that visa is up. I contacted the powers that be and was told that applying for an FLR (M) visa was all I should need to do. Hopefully that is indeed the case!  :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 08:18:59 PM »
If you are in the UK on a visa that is for longer than 6 months, you can marry your UK citizen fiancee without going back to the US for a Fiancee Visa.  You are able to "transfer" your work permit/student visa to FLR(M) - Further Leave to Remain (Marriage) after you get married.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 03:38:22 PM »
Thanks to everybody for the excellent replies...I appreciate it!

Janet

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab