Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 7240 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
There are murmurings that he may not accept it anyway. From what I'm reading, the White House had no idea this was in the offing. Read Tomasky's article in The Guardian - he won't be the only pro-Obama journo writing something along those lines.

So much for murmurings, he's accepting it. I, like many here, am puzzled by this choice. It remains to be seen if this will help or hinder him. Certainly the right wing folks will have a field day with it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 09, 2009, 07:42:46 PM
Add me to the list of people who voted for Obama and would vote for him again right now, who is at least puzzled by this award.

To me, at least, there does seem to be a whiff of "This year's Nobel Preace Prize goes to NotBush!" about it.

I understand that the prize is partially meant to encourage future action, but still...

This.  My DH thinks that the award might have something to do with the positive impact Obama has had on America's reputation in the rest of the world. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »
Like many of you here, I am puzzled by the selection by Nobel Jury.  But I do see a funny side to this.  Last week, right-wing extremists were crowing that Chicago not being selected to host the Olympics was an indication that he was being snubbed and that he was losing his popular touch.

And now these same people are having a hissy fit because a week later the international community gives a big old sloppy kiss in the form of the Nobel Peace Prize.  An award which he did not seek or campaign for, and one that seems to bring more distractions right now than any benefits.  But it is surely proof that Obama still has plenty of respect with the rest of the world.

If only all this energy spent in playing partisanship (and both left and right are guilty of this) was spent in crafting solutions to the challenges the US and the world faces.  (deep sigh)
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
Like many of you here, I am puzzled by the selection by Nobel Jury.  But I do see a funny side to this.  Last week, right-wing extremists were crowing that Chicago not being selected to host the Olympics was an indication that he was being snubbed and that he was losing his popular touch.

And now these same people are having a hissy fit because a week later the international community gives a big old sloppy kiss in the form of the Nobel Peace Prize.  An award which he did not seek or campaign for, and one that seems to bring more distractions right now than any benefits.  But it is surely proof that Obama still has plenty of respect with the rest of the world.

Woah, I totally didn't even make that connection. You're absolutely right! After all, he can't be loved both too much AND not at all. ;)
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 09, 2009, 07:42:46 PM
To me, at least, there does seem to be a whiff of "This year's Nobel Preace Prize goes to NotBush!" about it.

This was my first thought.  These two sentences jumped out at me from the announcement from the Nobel Committee:

Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts.

His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

Perhaps it's just me, but both those statements seem like not-so-thinly veiled jabs at the previous President.

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
This was my first thought.  These two sentences jumped out at me from the announcement from the Nobel Committee:

Perhaps it's just me, but both those statements seem like not-so-thinly veiled jabs at the previous President.

No, I totally agree with you. It's not very subtle really, especially considering he was nominated what....11 days into his presidency?

I was also pretty shocked that he got it, but I am hopeful that he will really earn it in the next few years. I can't help but feel kind of excited and pleased, too though.
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
I was also pretty shocked that he got it, but I am hopeful that he will really earn it in the next few years. I can't help but feel kind of excited and pleased, too though.

And why not be hopeful and pleased about it?

I see the acceptance as a signal that the President is acknowledging the importance and influence of US actions on the rest of the world.  You know, that instead of seeing US interests only, he's got the bigger picture in mind and aims to try to live up to the responsibility.   A vote of confidence from the outside world.  I see that as a good thing.

Had it been any one else receiving the award, aside from the people who stay abreast of world events, most of the US would had have said "Who?" at best or it wouldn't have even registered on their radar.

I was surprised to see my 14 year old niece vociferously post her disbelief on Facebook.  She's a bright young lady but up 'til now her FB posts have only been about football games, parties and boys.  Obviously she's only reacting to hype.

Controversy aside, the deed is done.  Why not accept it with grace and goodwill?         
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
Had it been any one else receiving the award, aside from the people who stay abreast of world events, most of the US would had have said "Who?" at best or it wouldn't have even registered on their radar.         

A good point...but if this award was given (partially) to encourage further action...the fact of the matter is that this could have brought a lot of attention to that "Who?" who needs it more than Obama.  Obama is a world-wide celebrity, whether you like him or not...pretty much everybody knows who he is.  I believe that shining the spotlight on a lesser-known person could have brought a lot more attention and/or support of their cause.  Obama is going to "do Obama" regardless of whether he won this award or not...however, it could have been a real inspiration to someone else who has been struggling with their cause (mentally or financially). 

Controversy aside, the deed is done.  Why not accept it with grace and goodwill?         

True...what's done is done.  I just think it says a lot when you have so many Obama supporters that don't even agree with the decision.  Like him or not, agree with the decision or not, I think in the end this is going to have more negative backlash than inspirational positivity.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
Between Chicago's failed bid for the Olympics and now the Nobel prize, it occurred to me that that while many Americans find it hard to accept that Obama is president, many Europeans find it hard to accept that Bush no longer is.

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like this. I thought that Nobel prizes were awarded to people for their achievements. Other than getting elected, which is no small feat, what has Obama done for the world to earn a peace prize? The reasoning for this award sounds like it was given to him for who he is instead of what he’s done. Is being popular the only criterion now?

Obama got my vote (and if the election were held today he’d get it again) and in general he’s doing a good job as President in my opinion, not a great job, but a good one. He’s smart, he’s inspirational and I have high hopes that he will make great strives in the next 3-1/2 years and beyond if he’s elected to a second term. But this? Now?  I don’t get it.

I’m afraid the Nobel committee has done Obama a disservice. I too think his critics (cranks and crackpots I should say) are going to have a field day, but this time they may, unfortunately, have a point.

I agree completely. 

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
I find it baffling too.

Obama has yet to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He and Joe Biden think it's a good idea to escalate military action across the border in Pakistan (possibly starting a war there).  And there is a heck of a lot of sabre rattling at a sovereign nation called Iran who merely want nuclear weapons because Israel has them.  Obama and Bush may not look a like and belong to different parties but in terms of foreign policy, they are both cut from the same cloth of American Imperialism that does a disservice to us as American citizens and people in countries we have no business occupying and embarking on hopeless, open ended missions of nation building and imposing our ways upon them.

Domestically speaking, they differ little as well.  The Federal government continues to spy on it's own citizens without warrants.  Civil liberties???

End the Empire and bring back the Republic.  End the interventionism and bring back the neutrality.  End the tyranny and bring back the Constitution.  We'll be richer, safer, and we'll have more freedom.

Who ever does that, surely deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »

Obama has yet to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  

I know, can you believe it? He's already been on the job for 10 months! What a slacker!  ::)

And as far as Pakistan is concerned, well, they need some military force in there. I think it's disgraceful nothing has been done thus far.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
I find it baffling too.

Obama has yet to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He and Joe Biden think it's a good idea to escalate military action across the border in Pakistan (possibly starting a war there).  And there is a heck of a lot of sabre rattling at a sovereign nation called Iran who merely want nuclear weapons because Israel has them.  Obama and Bush may not look a like and belong to different parties but in terms of foreign policy, they are both cut from the same cloth of American Imperialism that does a disservice to us as American citizens and people in countries we have no business occupying and embarking on hopeless, open ended missions of nation building and imposing our ways upon them.

Domestically speaking, they differ little as well.  The Federal government continues to spy on it's own citizens without warrants.  Civil liberties???

End the Empire and bring back the Republic.  End the interventionism and bring back the neutrality.  End the tyranny and bring back the Constitution.  We'll be richer, safer, and we'll have more freedom.

Who ever does that, surely deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.

Well put JrM. He won't be bringing the troops home in this term. Besides when they are done in Iraq, the troops will just slide over the border to Iran. That's my opinion.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
I know, can you believe it? He's already been on the job for 10 months! What a slacker!  ::)

And as far as Pakistan is concerned, well, they need some military force in there. I think it's disgraceful nothing has been done thus far.

I don't expect miracles from him but he hasn't given me any optimism of troop withdrawal.

Re: Pakistan, they may need help but can we afford it and why do we have to be the ones to foot the bill?
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

If he truely wanted to bring the troops home, he would have done it immediately and without delay.  The longer we are over in that region of the world, the more bombs we drop, and the more civilians we accidently kill, the more terrorists we will create. 

So we're in two wars that are two wounds that are bleeding our nation dry.  And you think it's a good idea to start a third war in Pakistan (at best) and further destabilize a nuclear armed state?  That's madness.  Not only that, but there's a lot of people who think invading Iran will be a good idea too.  This is all madness and it has to stop.  We cannot fight these wars indefinitely and we can never win them.  Only lose them, but at what cost do you lose a war(s)?  Count your loses and go today.  Or in 10 years when we have wasted more money and more lives to achieve the same result: defeat.
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab