Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What do I need from my UK employer?  (Read 2453 times)

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
  • Liked: 1
What do I need from my UK employer?
« on: February 17, 2003, 09:48:40 AM »
I've been living in the UK from April 17 (convenient, yes?.. i hit the one-year mark 2 days after the deadline), and i've been working from mid-May.  I've received my W-2 form from my U.S. (MN) employer covering the first third of the year, but i just heard that i can't expect to get any kind of statement from my UK employer automatically, because they work on a different fiscal year here.  does this mean i need to request a special summary from the payroll dept here?  I'm guessing i'll need to know how much i made and how much of it went to U.K. taxes.. but what kind of proof do i need to submit with my forms?

"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

• Liked: 0
Re: What do I need from my UK employer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 01:19:45 PM »
Hi there

Employers in the UK, issue a Form P60 which is equivalent of W-2. However, the P60 will show your income earned and taxes paid for the period 6 April one year to 5 April the next. Therefore this will not help you to do your US tax return.

What you need to do is to summarise your monthly payslips (May - 31 Dec 2002) for income and taxes and use this figure (together with your W-2 figure) on your 2002 US tax return.  The IRS will not seek proof of your income by asking for any forms. They will trust that you are reporting your income accurately.  However, If for some reason, you are audited by the IRS, only then you need to show your monthly payslips as a proof of your earnings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help with the preparation of your return.

Helen Tanhaie
HT TAX
h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab