Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computers, what to do?  (Read 1237 times)

• Liked: 0
Computers, what to do?
« on: February 18, 2003, 02:05:03 AM »
Getting ready to move next month to the UK and I still don't know what to do about computers.

I've been told that all I need is a transformer and my computer (and all the accessories) will work just fine.  

I've also been told to not even think about trying that route, that transformers will either 1) get to hot to quick and essentially be useless ebcause of the time limiting effect, or 2) that the transformers slow down the computer so much (especially the 'transformer' for the phone line) that they are more pain then it is worth.  These folks suggest I just buy a new computer, one that is capable of running in the US and well as the UK (is there such a thing?).

What do ya'll suggest?  If if it is just buy a new computer, should I wait until I get to the UK or buy in the US (hopefully a bit cheaper)?

Also, along these lines, how about kitchen appliainces, did everyone just buy new, or is the use of transformers widespread?

I don't know if this will effect any response, but our time in the UK is limited to 2-3 years.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Computers, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 01:56:51 PM »
We just moved here last October, for 2-3 years.  After much research and asking questions, here's what we did.

Computer - Our old desktop computer, moniter, and printer were old.  Most newer computers have a switch on the back that says something like "110/240V", you flip the switch depending on which voltage you are using (110V in US, 240V in UK.)  Then all you need is a plug adapter for the power cord.  If your computer/components don't have this feature, then you need a transformer, but I've read that that isn't the best choice.  If it's a laptop, the AC adapter should say something like "100-240V, 50-60Hz", in which case it will run on 240V just fine, again, all you need is a plug adapter, or a new power cord with a UK plug.  We went the laptop route (bought in the US, as it was cheaper,) then bought a new printer in the UK.  Other small electronics, like PalmPilots, iPaqs, etc., should also work fine, but check for the "100-240V" phrase on the AC adapter.

Other electronics (TV, video and DVD, music equipment, kitchen appliances, alarm clocks, power tools) we either sold or put into storage.  The transformers needed for all those things can get quite expensive -- you need the proper transformer for the voltage, hertz, and amperage of the item.  It's cheaper to buy that stuff in the UK, then sell them when you go back to the states.  DVD player -- we bought a "multi-regional" player -- plays DVDs from any region (North American is region 1, Europe region 2, etc.)  Video player -- we bought one with "NTSC" playback, so it can play our US videos as well as US (PAL) videos.

One electronic item that will work is lamps.  You must, however, buy UK light bulbs and plug adapters.  Do not use US bulbs plugged into UK power -- the bulbs will explode.

Here's one resource I used when planning our move:

http://www.ljnelson.com/personal/musings/ustouk.htm

There is lots of great info in the UK-Yankee.com website pages, too.  

HTH,
Stephanie

Re: Computers, what to do?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 12:12:51 AM »
I heard, though I didn't try to prove it myself, that most computer equipment, including the screens, are dual voltage appliances.  There is a toggle switch either on, or maybe even inside, the back panel of the "box", and on the back of the screen.  Have a good look over your computer to see if you see any switches.

Having said that, if your machine is more than a couple of years old you may want to take the opportunity to upgrade!  ;D

TV and video equipment is particularly problematic as the the voltage, and the frequency of the mains is different, and the TV system is different.  So, I'd forget bring TVs and videos.

It really depends on how many appliances you have as to whether it is better to bring them and buy transformers, and have the nuisance of moving them around from room to room (I presume that you won't be buying one transformer for each appliance), or to buy cheap appliances in the UK and chuck them when you return to the US.  Try looking at Argos as they have a good range of household electrical appliances, and some of the best prices; not always the premium brands, but things good for a few years.   ;D

Bear in mind that anything with a motor, other than CD and DVD players, will run 17% slower in the UK as the mains frequency is only 50Hz as opposed to 60Hz in the US.  This problem may affect tape players, but I'm not certain as I have heard that some may have speed governors independent of the mains frequency ..... and mine are still in storage.  :(

If you need transformers for anything I suggest that you buy in the US - I found DVD Overseas to have particularly good range, and buy larger transformers than the minimum you need, especially for HiFi equipment which is sensitive to distortion that may be introduced by a transformer straining at it limit.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 12:28:29 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

Sponsored Links