Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marry in US, settle in UK... why is this so difficult??  (Read 1747 times)

• child is a precious miracle
  • Liked: 0
Re: Marry in US, settle in UK... why is this so difficult??
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 11:16:51 PM »
We are going to Chicago, they don't state anywhere that you have to have an appointment, they do state right on the website that walk ins are from 9am-11am with results same day between 4 and 4:30pm, also, we have been given 2 copies of our marriage license, one for our records, and one to mail back to the county that issued us our license...
we have to have a certificate on top of that????? I didn't know this...I had best check I suppose.
Wife to Karl, mother of 3
back in the USA to stay
http://mathews.me.uk

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 12:21:51 AM »
I think you need proof that the marriage was actually performed and legalized.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 07:08:22 AM »
We are going to Chicago, they don't state anywhere that you have to have an appointment, they do state right on the website that walk ins are from 9am-11am with results same day between 4 and 4:30pm, also, we have been given 2 copies of our marriage license, one for our records, and one to mail back to the county that issued us our license...
we have to have a certificate on top of that????? I didn't know this...I had best check I suppose.

Last I knew at the Chicago office you didn't need an appointment.  If that's what their site says then go with it.  We went to the Chicago office 2 1/2 years ago and just walked in.  Sounds like it's still the same. 

Your license IS your marriage certificate.  Not sure what state you're marrying in.  We married in Illinois.  We applied for the license, got that, had the officiant sign it once we were married and send it off to the town hall or wherever it was it went.  After a couple days they sent us 2 official copies with the raised seal.  This is what you will need to take with you to the consulate. 

• Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 08:16:03 AM »

Last I knew at the Chicago office you didn't need an appointment.  If that's what their site says then go with it.  We went to the Chicago office 2 1/2 years ago and just walked in.  Sounds like it's still the same. 

Your license IS your marriage certificate.  Not sure what state you're marrying in.  We married in Illinois.  We applied for the license, got that, had the officiant sign it once we were married and send it off to the town hall or wherever it was it went.  After a couple days they sent us 2 official copies with the raised seal.  This is what you will need to take with you to the consulate. 

I'll second Elle on this.  Make sure that you know the difference between the marriage licence and marriage certificate in your county/state.  Some states allow the marriage license to be stamped and signed at the wedding, thus turning it into a marriage certificate, i.e., there's no other paperwork/waiting time involved.  Other states just have the license signed at the wedding and then the officiant has to take the signed license to the registrar of deeds to be made into a marriage certificate.  Depending on where you live, this could take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.  We got married in NC, and it's the second situation there.  We explained to our pastor that we needed the certificate ASAP because we already had tickets to fly to NYC.  He took the license in on the Monday (we married on Saturday) and we picked up the certificate on Tuesday.

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 09:55:27 AM »
Make sure that you know the difference between the marriage licence and marriage certificate in your county/state.  Some states allow the marriage license to be stamped and signed at the wedding, thus turning it into a marriage certificate, i.e., there's no other paperwork/waiting time involved.  Other states just have the license signed at the wedding and then the officiant has to take the signed license to the registrar of deeds to be made into a marriage certificate.

We were married in Chicago and got my visa in Chicago.  Illinois requires the latter, a certificate.  The officiant was very helpful and got it registered quickly for us as we were leaving for England 10 days after the wedding.  This was eight years ago, but I don't think something like this changes very often.
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 12:53:52 PM »
Well, Maine is the latter too, that is why I mentioned it because it sounded like they were leaving for the consulate the day after the wedding. Here it is not legal until you get the official raised seal.

• child is a precious miracle
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 05:58:35 PM »
ok, i'm all set!! didn't think I was, but I am, we don't have to have an appointment for the Chicago consulate, so are going to arrive there early in the morning of the 17th, yes we will have our marriage certificate AND our marriage license (the minister is going to give us our certificate right after the ceremony) and we have any and all supporting info we could gather, plus the money...now all I gotta do is sit n wait!!!!!!!
Wife to Karl, mother of 3
back in the USA to stay
http://mathews.me.uk

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 06:37:09 PM »
ahh waiting..isnt it so fun??? NOT!!  ::)

Helena

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 08:16:38 PM »
You're almost there though...just a few more weeks! Good luck to you both  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab