Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to descale an electric kettle?  (Read 23140 times)

• Liked: 0
How to descale an electric kettle?
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
I was wondering if there is any special cleaner to help stop all the lime scale build up in our kettle without making our brews taste nasty? My hand is to big to fit into the kettle so I can't scrub it! Any ideas?

Re: How to descale an electric kettle?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
Yes. There are tea-kettle descalers for sale in the supermarket--larger Tescos, or try an Aladdin's cave-type shop.

Technically, they are marketed for electric kettles, but in a desperate move to clean out the one provided with our rental flat, I used the package in the regular kettle. Just put the liquid in--the directions say not-quite-boiling-water, but I found just tiny boiling-bubbles-- cleared out all the limescale.

Fabulous.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
Aww, good! I was going to make a brew this morning and got totally grossed out by all the build up that was in there that I didn't.  :-X Where in Tescos would I find this stuff?

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
also try distilled malt vinegar
Maroon Passport Club!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:05 PM »
If your kettle is really bad, use the chemical descaler.  Once you have it to a good standard, using vinegar once a week should keep it in good shape.  Has done so for my all metal kettle for five years.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
I use ordinary citric acid powder. It is the basis of most of the descaling preparations on the market. You can find it in a pharmacy or any Indian shop will have it. 50g or so, 2 or 3 tablespoons maybe, in a kettle full of cold water, maybe more in a very hard water area, boil it up, let it stand half an hour and upend the kettle with the lid open to pour through the top rather than the spout, through a colander to catch the scale. Unlike some other substances it doesn't smell. Also OK to use with plastic kettles.

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »
The cheapest way I have found is to cut up a lime or lemon and squeeze the juice into the kettle.  Add enough water to make the kettle half full.  Boil.  Allow to cool and then empty and rinse.  I usually boil it twice before I empty and rinse.  Works a treat without chemicals! ;D
I am the architect of my destiny.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
Citric acid which is what is in lemons, is a chemical. But I prefer to use it without all the the peel and pits and stringy stuff so I buy it in its purified form. I don't know about the descaling products though. They may have weird stuff added.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »
Just a heads up on the citric acid ...

I used it for cleaning the baby's bottle steriliser.  The pharmacists told me that some places can be a bit funny about repeat buyers of citric acid because it is used to cut heroin.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »

I used it for cleaning the baby's bottle steriliser.  The pharmacists told me that some places can be a bit funny about repeat buyers of citric acid because it is used to cut heroin.

That is true; but the people in Asian shops won't give you funny looks, and a 250g packet will do about 5 descales so you won't be in there every couple of days.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »
The cheapest way I have found is to cut up a lime or lemon and squeeze the juice into the kettle.  Add enough water to make the kettle half full.  Boil.  Allow to cool and then empty and rinse.  I usually boil it twice before I empty and rinse.  Works a treat without chemicals! ;D

Does it matter if it's not a fresh lemon ??? Sorry stupid question but just making sure cause I have one of those lemon juice bottles in the fridge. I was going to try that first and see what happens.

I used it for cleaning the baby's bottle steriliser.  The pharmacists told me that some places can be a bit funny about repeat buyers of citric acid because it is used to cut heroin.

Heroin, Yikes! I just want a clean kettle.  ;D

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
Does it matter if it's not a fresh lemon ??? Sorry stupid question but just making sure cause I have one of those lemon juice bottles in the fridge. I was going to try that first and see what happens.

I have only used fresh lemon or lime; but, give the bottled stuff a try and see what happens!
I am the architect of my destiny.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:53 PM »
The pharmacists told me that some places can be a bit funny about repeat buyers of citric acid because it is used to cut heroin.

Our pharmacy doesn't even sell it at all anymore because of potential misuse - I don't think I've seen citric acid in our store for about 4 or 5 years now (and quite a few of our customers seem to have trouble finding it elsewhere too)!

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
It's in every Asian ("Indian") corner shop. It is widely used in South Asian cookery. Rajah brand is the one we use. around 85p for 100g or there are larger sizes. It is used in home brewing and fruit preserving and canning.

This is a typical recipe that I have tried and enjoyed.

Bangra Masala (Spiced Fish) - Serves 2

1. Take 650g cod and make 1cm deep gashes in several places.

2. Blend 1 level tbsp citric acid with 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp garam Masala, 1 tsp salt and 3 tbsp water and rub all over the fish.

3. Drain the fish. Heat 5 tbsp oil and fry the fish, for 3 minutes on each side until cooked and crisp on the outside.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
I tried the chemical descaler, it did a great job but my kettle now makes a really loud noise when boiling that it never used to make! Also, within 2 weeks the scale was back with a vengeance.
I'm going to try lemon juice or vinegar...what a great idea!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab