Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to descale an electric kettle?  (Read 23120 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: How to descale an electric kettle?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
If you are a heavy kettle user, I'd suggest at least once a week with vinegar or citric acid.  That will keep it in tip-top shape.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
I hope I don't sound too ignorant (and I hope I didn't overlook this earlier) but what do you do with the vinegar?  I'm assuming add a certain amount to water and bowl it.  How much?  I never thought to descale our kettle, I just wash it...boy do I have a lot left to learn.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
I have an all metal kettle.  I probably use less than 1/8th bottle of vinegar, followed by the same of water.  Enough to cover scaled areas and then boil.  Whatever you do, don't fill it to the top because it will bubble and can bubble over.  I usually let it set for an hour of so after that.

If you have a plastic kettle, do enough to cover the element.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »
May I offer a small tip?

If you are descaling your kettle, especially with a chemical descaler, move the kettle to a completely different plug in the wall (if possible) on the other side of the kitchen, and leave the descaler box right next to the kettle or on top, if it's flat.

It is all too easy to either forget or for another oblivious member of the family to try and make a cup of tea. Funny as hell if it's vinegar in the kettle, but incredibly dangerous if it's descaler...

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
What about old school stovetop kettles. I can't see inside it since the opening is so small. Do I need to worry about this? I've had it for about 8 years now and have never cleaned the inside. I try not to let water sit inside it though....
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
What about old school stovetop kettles. I can't see inside it since the opening is so small. Do I need to worry about this? I've had it for about 8 years now and have never cleaned the inside. I try not to let water sit inside it though....

If it's not bothering you...

Limescale isn't harmful, the main problem is that if you have a lot bits can break off and you get "floaters" in you tea - not nice.  Limescale on the element in an electric kettle does reduce the efficiency and in extreme cases damage the element - obviously not an issue with a old school stove top (or modern kettles with concealed elements.)

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
If it's not bothering you...

Limescale isn't harmful, the main problem is that if you have a lot bits can break off and you get "floaters" in you tea - not nice.  Limescale on the element in an electric kettle does reduce the efficiency and in extreme cases damage the element - obviously not an issue with a old school stove top (or modern kettles with concealed elements.)

Ok, thanks! I haven't noticed anything gross in my tea but like I said, I can't see inside. Who knows, maybe it is covered in limescale on the inside of the kettle itself (all metal)??
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
I've choked on lime scale from a really coated kettle.  I took to using a tea strainer when drinking out of that particular kettle (not mine so I couldn't take it upon myself to descale it).  Lime scale does affect the efficiency of your kettle and can lead to premature kettle death (as in the case of the aforementioned kettle owners who went through kettles about once every 8 months to a year).  I remember hearing somewhere (might have been on Kim and Aggie or it might have been on something as unreliable as an advert for a descaler) that scale can harbour germs on its rough surface.  Even if it didn't, saving electric, cost of kettles, and not choking is enough for me. 

They sell what I assume is cake citric acid in a lot of HFS.  I use this when I can find it because vinegar doesn't seem to totally clean out my coffee maker, and Mr. A is a tea fiend and doesn't like to wait for it to work overnight in the kettle.  I have used the strong stuff, but I actually think citric acid works better.   

People could do the Kim and Aggie method of descaling taps on their kettle if they have the time and vinegar or lemon juice isn't working: Cover the bottom of an empty kettle with vinegar or juice, drench a few paper towels and stick them to the sides (inside) and spout (remove filter if your kettle has one and soak in a cup with some vinegar or lemon juice), cover with a carrier bag and leave over night, rinse well in the morning.

The paper towel/loo roll soaked in vinegar or lemon juice and covered with carrier bags/plastic really works on taps or shower nozzles. 

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »
What about old school stovetop kettles. I can't see inside it since the opening is so small.

Are you talking about the spout?
Doesn't it have a lid?

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
Are you talking about the spout?
Doesn't it have a lid?

Unfortunately, no. This is a traditional stove top kettle (not electric). It doesn't open up anywhere else. It is pretty much like this one, but it's copper!

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
Do you have hard water in Atlanta?

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »
Unfortunately, no. This is a traditional stove top kettle (not electric). It doesn't open up anywhere else. It is pretty much like this one, but it's copper!

Thanks for the photo.
I wasn't picturing that, as even stove-top kettles I've had in the past have had a lid / large opening for filling and cleaning.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Thanks for the photo.
I wasn't picturing that, as even stove-top kettles I've had in the past have had a lid / large opening for filling and cleaning.

Yeah, I realized that when I googled "Stove top kettle". I guess it's not something I even thought about (cleaning the inside) when I got it originally. I was just going for one that looks like the one we always had growing up. :)

Legs, I'm not sure?! I think it's soft? I did a google search and it seems places like FL have problems with hard water due to the limestone in the ground where the water comes from.

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
You generally won't have to descale if you don't have hard water.  However, even if an area generally has soft water, wells can be hard.  Your kettle is probably fine.

If you had hard water, you would probably know it.  It's not just your kettle that gets it, but your taps, sinks, baths, hair, clothing, dishes, washing machine, skin...

A lot of places in the UK have hard water though, so you may have to deal with it after a move to the UK.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 05:16:26 PM »
You generally won't have to descale if you don't have hard water.  However, even if an area generally has soft water, wells can be hard.  Your kettle is probably fine.

If you had hard water, you would probably know it.  It's not just your kettle that gets it, but your taps, sinks, baths, hair, clothing, dishes, washing machine, skin...

A lot of places in the UK have hard water though, so you may have to deal with it after a move to the UK.

OK, thanks! I put my finger inside the spout and didn't feel anything. The inside is stainless steel, I'm pretty sure. That probably helps (I hope!) :)

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links