Made this over the weekend and was asked to share the recipe. If you've ever had a Mozzarepa in the states at a street festival, you know how addicting these things are! I use local ingredients that you can find at most large supermarkets so I'm not using "arepa flour".
Sweet Cornmeal Cakes with Mozzarella Cheese.
• 1 cup of finely ground yellow corn meal or polenta.
• 1/4 cup plain flour
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 cup sweet corn kernels finely chopped. (You can use a blender with frozen kernels or one of those slaptop chopper gadgets, which I prefer)
• shredded Mozzarella
• 1 cup milk
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup water (approximately)
• Grind sweet corn kernels in a food processor or mini chopper
• Bring milk and water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the butter.
• While the milk is heating up, mix the cornmeal/polenta, flour, salt, sugar, and sweetcorn kernels in a large bowl.
• Gradually add in the milk/water/butter mixture as you mix or whisk it until there are no lumps from the flour and corneal/polenta. Add a bit more milk if needed. You want the consistency to be that of a thick pancake batter. CAUTION! The bowl will get hot!
• You may add a handful of shredded mozzarella into the mix if you'd like. I don't like how it makes it stick to the pan, so I don't.
• Heat a lightly buttered pan to a medium setting and spoon the mixture in, creating 4" "pancakes". Cook to a golden brown on each side.
• Place shredded or sliced mozarella on one of the pancakes, place the other pancake on top to make a sandwich and press down gently. turn pan to low and flip several times while the cheese melts.
Makes: approximately 10 4" Mozzarepas, or 20 pancakes.
Enjoy! You can also make the cornmeal cakes ahead of time and freeze them. Here is the one I made.