Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: If you want to move back to the states but can't afford the plane ticket.....  (Read 20669 times)

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
  • Liked: 1
 So, about a month ago I was having some serious relationship issues and considering a move back to the USA. It was a scary situation because I don't have the funds to buy plane tickets, but I was quite relieved when I found out about this service offered by the US Embassy.

Though everything is looking up for me here and I am glad that I stayed, I thought that I should share this information for anyone who may find themselves in such a quandary.

The US Embassy will give a "repatriation loan" to people who find themselves stranded in the UK. The loan will pay for a plane ticket to the US city of your choosing that is bought through American Express Travel (that is the only vendor they will use), but it has some stipulations. First you must supply them with the telephone numbers of at least three family members or friends who they will contact to make sure that those people are not able to lend you the funds. Then you will have to go to the embassy in London to cancel your passport and be issued an emergency passport.

They will fly you out as early as the next day after your appointment, and they will reissue a regular passport to you as soon as you have repayed the loan.

It isn't an ideal situation, but for those who are desperate, this may be a viable option and I wanted to make sure people were aware of it.

Also, sorry if this has been posted before or if I posted it in the wrong area!

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?cat=17
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

• Heart...Captured
Super useful info...kudos dangerface!

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
Hey, I do what I can. ;)
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
I would imagine that when they say "stranded in the UK", they literally mean having no place to go.  For example, a tourist who had been mugged and had no money or ID to get into a hotel. Or maybe someone who was a victim of domestic violence and had to immediately get out of their house because they were in danger.

I could be wrong, but I don't think being unhappy in the UK and wanting to go back counts as being stranded, unless, as stated above, you are in physical danger if you don't leave immediately.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
I would imagine that when they say "stranded in the UK", they literally mean having no place to go.  For example, a tourist who had been mugged and had no money or ID to get into a hotel. Or maybe someone who was a victim of domestic violence and had to immediately get out of their house because they were in danger.

I could be wrong, but I don't think being unhappy in the UK and wanting to go back counts as being stranded, unless, as stated above, you are in physical danger if you don't leave immediately.

The OP was concerned about domestic violence. She wasn't just unhappy. Fortunately, it seems her fears were unfounded.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
I think this should be a sticky topic. It could really help someone down the line who ends up homeless or in some other desperate situation. Anyone agree?

• Liked: 0
I think this should be a sticky topic. It could really help someone down the line who ends up homeless or in some other desperate situation. Anyone agree?

Absolutely agree Jewlz.  This forum is a useful tool for loads of people and this is information that could also be useful. 

(PS- I'm happy here Husband... I know you lurk around once in awhile.  ;)  )
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
(PS- I'm happy here Husband... I know you lurk around once in awhile.  ;)  )

ROFL!!!!! She speaks the truth! I swear, I've seen her other posts!  ;D

• Location: Scotland/Minneapolis :) I just want a summer home in MN and a winter home in Scotland!
I just wanted to add a comment here because I DID take out a repatriation loan to get back to the US from the embassy in Edinburgh.  And it was NOT due to domestic violence or any other kind of "emergency".  There was a lot going on in my situation, but I just wanted to give other hope who may be looking at this option.  They are very willing to help out an American here with a loan if you have no other way back home.
Oh and I paid back the loan and am back in the UK now, happily.  If anyone ever has any questions about the repatriation loan, do not hesitate to send me a message! 8)
Met and fell in love with a Scotsman in early 2007.  Moved to Scotland early 2009.  Had to come back to the US in June 2009 to deal with idiot government employees who screwed up my daughter's passport.  Finally back in Scotland, March 9 2010.  Yes I did fly a 16 hour flight with 3 children and 2 plane changes!

Very useful info, but what if you are in Birmingham, and cant afford or have no way to London?ASAP?? PLEASE!!!

• Liked: 4
There is the Megabus - it costs less than 10 pounds to get a one way ticket to London from Birmingham. Maybe you could try that?

You should probably start by calling the embassy:
[44] (20) 7499-9000

I was in Italy and my passport was stolen, but I was able to replace everything else so I decided to stay.

A guy had everything stolen and his "friends" left him to go to beach decided just to go home.  The Embassy gave him an emergency loan to cover the train costs from whereever he was to Rome, a hotel room, some food money and a flight home. 

I am not sure if it applies to people who are living in a country though.

The loan the embassy says they will get you depends on a couple of things- they ask that you provide names and numbers of people who are willing to say that they can NOT help you with a loan to get you back home.

Then once they give you the very expensive ticket- they take your passport and you are issued an emergency passport.

You will NOT be able to get another passport until the loan is paid back. The tickets they get are not cheap as they use only one agency to purchase them from....

Going thru this now...

• Chillin on the WRONG side of the steering column
    • my diary
I just wanted you to know that I was previously stranded in the UK and I had to find a way home. When I called the embassy they stated to me that the reason that they ask you for the telephone numbers of family is because they call your family and friends and ask them if they can pay for your ticket to come home before they give you the loan. Also you have to make your way to the airport they don't pay for your way to the airport on the train. So you would have to find that money. Just saying.
*Yank or Yankee is one of the lesser derogatory slang terms for any American, whether from New England or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
*The Oxford English Dictionary states that one of the earliest theories on the word derivation is from the Cherokee word "eankke" for coward as applied to the residents of New England.

You don't hear me calling you a bloody brit, so don't call me a yank!
**Many people disagree with my signature**
~As a matter a fact my mom does know everything~ http://miperson.com my diary

• Liked: 2
Dontcallmeyank, that is good information to know.  Thank you for posting it. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab