Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Climate change data dumped.  (Read 4744 times)

• Liked: 0
UK: Climate change data dumped.
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Those dirty rotten liars!  This scandal couldn't have arrived at a better time for us skeptics. Thank you Russian hackers, you may have saved us from the biggest fraud in the history of mankind.:)

Copenhagen

Cap and Trade

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6936328.ece
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

Re: UK: Climate change data dumped.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
Thank you Russian hackers, you may have saved us from the biggest fraud in the history of mankind.:)

I thought that was the supposed "Iraqi WMDs"

Anyhow, climate sceptics have lied, obscured and cheated for years. Climate change deniers funded by the fossil fuel industry have used all sorts of dirty tricks to advance their cause. That's why climate rationalists must uphold the highest standards of science, and why this is a disappointment.

The crisis has been exacerbated by the university's handling of it, which has been a total trainwreck: a textbook example of how not to respond.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:59:34 PM by Tremula »

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »
Skeptics never lied.  What is bold face lying is that the planet has been cooling down since 1998 and the Cult of Climate Change is still saying it's warming up because of our "carbon footprints".  If there is no man-made global warming, then you must wonder if at the heart of all this "climate change" jargon lies something sinister.

I don't believe in manbearpig.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »
The greatest tragedy here is that despite many years of outright fabrication, fraud and deceit on the part of the climate change denial industry, documented in James Hoggan and Richard Littlemore's brilliant new book Climate Cover-up, it is now the climate scientists who look bad.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
JM, you are a well known right wing GW denier, I'd expect you to take this position.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »
WB, contrex.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
Well if the climate scientists actually stuck to science - not left wing activism - then they wouldn't look so bad, now would they?

• Liked: 163
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
Hey, what if conservatives threw out the evidence for things they don't believe in, too?  For example, if you threw out all the fossils, you could disprove evolution!  Throw away all the footage of the moon landings, and that never happened, either!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »
What is bold face lying is that the planet has been cooling down since 1998 and the Cult of Climate Change is still saying it's warming up because of our "carbon footprints".

I'm sorry, but if this is the case doesn't the earth's cooling still fall under the category of "climate change".  I don't see what that proves or disproves.

As for me, what everyone seems to forget when discussing this stuff is that the earth's climate has always shifted and changed over time.  We know there were ice ages as well as more temperate times, and hotter times (Scotland was a desert once, hence all the sandstone!).  It's not really all that out of line to assume that the climate is changing.  Whether or not we are a catalyst for that change, I don't know.  However, I don't see the harm in trying to keep pollution down, if anything so that we're not wallowing around in our own smog and filth in the years to come.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
Cutting pollution is important of course.  We are all breathing that stuff in.  But why is Carbon Dioxide being presented as the boogeyman?  Plants breathe carbon dioxide!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Cutting pollution is important of course.  We are all breathing that stuff in.  But why is Carbon Dioxide being presented as the boogeyman?  Plants breathe carbon dioxide!

Does it really matter?  I mean, it's like anything else isn't it?  "You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to" etc.  Whichever way you slice it, something needs to be done about pollution for a multitude of reasons besides whether it's warming or cooling or creating holes or if it is carbon dioxide's fault or not. 

I don't understand why people find it so offensive at the mere suggestion that we may be playing a role in this.  Ideally someone would say "That may be and it may not be, and while we have various people work out whether or not that's the case, let's not bicker about it and instead spend our time trying to solve that nasty problem of using more packaging on products than necessary and subsequently having no where to put our non-biodegradable garbage!"
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

Not going to even enter such a friendly debate that is about to kick off. Suppose I could sit around and wait to see who yells loudest or scores the coolest points before I decide for sure. But most everybody has their own view and everybody else is wrong. Period. I doubt I am going to sit back and watch a logical discussion unfold that could enlighten people. But we'll see what develops.

NoseOverTail - I like your thinking and outlook on this sort of issue.

But it sounds like a typical bureaucratic f'up during office moves. Yea dump it. It's old. Memory is so expensive these days <sarcasim>

But at least they kept the adjusted data. Could they not reverse engineer the adjusted figures to reach the original non adjusted figures?

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
Not going to even enter such a friendly debate that is about to kick off. Suppose I could sit around and wait to see who yells loudest or scores the coolest points before I decide for sure. But most everybody has their own view and everybody else is wrong. Period. I doubt I am going to sit back and watch a logical discussion unfold that could enlighten people. But we'll see what develops.

+1 Cool point for Ayoubob. Usually, I steer clear of environmental debates, but I am also interested to see what develops.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:34:29 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:29 AM »
Well if the climate scientists actually stuck to science - not left wing activism - then they wouldn't look so bad, now would they?

Oh please. My husband is a scientist and is in no way, shape, or form a left wing activist. His own research shows that the current climate change we are experiencing is well above and beyond what is considered normal climate fluctuation. He is not paid by any company or corporation to provide this research. As a matter of fact, his employer is the US government and his research was approved during GWBush's tenure.

Global warming, of the type feared (not the type expected) is a serious issue and a very complex one. Unfortunately, the good scientists out there are being shouted down by the extremists on both sides.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »

So any amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is ok because "plants breath" it??

Here's a logical explanation as to why increasing carbon dioxide is an issue:

The reason given for not classifying CO2 as a pollutant is based upon the fact that it is a natural component of the atmosphere and needed by plants in order to carry out photosynthesis. No one would argue the fact that carbon dioxide is a necessary component of the atmosphere any more than one would argue the fact that Vitamin D is necessary in the human diet. However, excess Vitamin D in the diet can be extremely toxic (6). Living systems, be they an ecosystem or an organism, require that a delicate balance be maintained between certain elements and/or compounds in order for the system to function normally. When one substance is present in excess and as a result threatens the wellbeing of an ecosystem, it becomes toxic, and could be considered to be a pollutant, despite the fact that it is required in small quantities.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/environmental/200611CO2globalwarming.html

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab