Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Climate change data dumped.  (Read 4792 times)

• Liked: 31
Re: UK: Climate change data dumped.
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 02:46:36 PM »
Yes, but we're talking about how a bunch of internet nerds talk to each other on forums, not on how scientists debate their various points.

I don't know, both AyouBob and rynn_aka_rae seemed to imply that if someone trying to convince them of man-made climate change was being rude about it, that would lead them to believe that man-made climate change wasn't true.

As funny as it would be (and as much as it would make me wish I hadn't slept through biology), I doubt that guys that debated the Kyoto treaty resorted to name calling (at least to each other's faces).

I'm talking about scientists versus climate change deniers in public forums such as news programmes. These can often get quite heated!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
Name calling isn't the root of the issue, the whole argument would be moot if it weren't for an outrageously inane topic being posted in order to start (yet another) argument that stems from a point of view the OP never had any intention of backing up with so much as a well constructed sentence, let alone debate with fact. It's a topic that can get heated in and of itsself, but then to have one side claim the virtue of being correct with no evidence... that's infuriating. 

Where is Juniormint now?  Oh that's right, ducked out stage left the second enough damage was done to pin UK-Y members against each other... yet again... in yet another pointless one liner post made to instigate a reaction. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
That might hold true for personal opinions, but for something like climate change, which is a major world issue with lots of people talking in different ways on both sides, it's just silly to say you're going to ignore the whole thing because a few people on one of the sides were a bit snarky at you. Can you really not see that?

Ignore the whole side of an argument because of a few people? I don't do that. I'm just not going to listen to that one person. I'm still going to listen to different sides of the argument. It does not make yourself or your argument any better for being snarky. It's not even about being snarky. It's about being in the middle and being put off. I don't find it particularly intelligent to make fun of other people, especially for the reason that they disagree with you.

I don't know, both AyouBob and rynn_aka_rae seemed to imply that if someone trying to convince them of man-made climate change was being rude about it, that would lead them to believe that man-made climate change wasn't true.

Trying to convince and attacking someone are two different things. I'm not even saying 'be nice about it.' Mudslinging simply does not make you and your argument look good. If anyone wants to resort to name calling, fine by them. My opinion still stands.

The whole argument would be moot if it weren't for an outrageously inane topic being posted in order to start (yet another) argument.

There have been 'trolling' on other forums as well. I do genuinely like be able to argue and read what others have to say on particular topics. Just because I disagree with someone on a particular topic, doesn't mean I disagree with them on another. I believe that DrSuperL99 and I can agree that old novels are awesome  :) Perhaps the worst thing is that any 'heat' developed between members in one topic bleed into others and spur into true animosity between members. I honestly wouldn't want that to happen between me and anyone else.  :-\\\\
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:09:30 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
I'm sorry, but that's crazy. You don't like how I say something, so you assume it isn't true without bothering to check for yourself? How is that sensible?

That is not what I said.  I cannot respect the facts they present are indeed facts (unless of course one provides backup to their words). For some posters, I can accept their facts as facts because I know some of us, as you and Navie do, do research. But others may not know that.

On the overall point, this is why people result to personal attacks.  Does it justify it? Probably not. But the agrument is enough to give even the most mild mannered high blood pressure.

True but this is on the web. We have time to detach and collect our thoughts. Go have a cup of coffee and calm down, then post. Or ignore them.

You can't call someone a fool and expect them to want to listen to what you have to say. I don't believe I am fool, but if someone called me a fool for expressing and arguing my beliefs, I most likely won't listen to them. It doesn't sound credible to make a sweeping generalization then suddenly make it all about the facts. You can make your point any way you want to, but I most certainly find it difficult to listen to someone if they are not of sound mind, even if their argument is, apparently, sound. Most likely, I'm not going to stick around long enough to decide if their argument is sound.

Yep.

That might hold true for personal opinions, but for something like climate change, which is a major world issue with lots of people talking in different ways on both sides, it's just silly to say you're going to ignore the whole thing because a few people on one of the sides were a bit snarky at you. Can you really not see that?

But there are a lot of personal opinions floating about on this precise issue. Too many statements with most, everybody, very, etc. That is a personal viewpoint, not a scientific point.

Personally, I would and do ignore that person, not the argument. 

Please re-read my posts. I have not implied that at all.

There have been 'trolling' on other forums as well. I do genuinely like be able to argue and read what others have to say on particular topics. Just because I disagree with someone on a particular topic, doesn't mean I disagree with them on another. I believe that DrSuperL99 and I can agree that old novels are awesome  :) Perhaps the worst thing is that any 'heat' developed between members in one topic bleed into others and spur into true animosity between members. I honestly wouldn't want that to happen between me and anyone else.  :-\\\\

My feelings exactly. I do hope that any disagreements don't leave this thread. I try and keep the threads separated. I particularly like reading posts by Navie, DrSuperL99 and many others and hope no anomosity exists.

I don't dislike anyone here and am not trying to cause offense. I am trying to enlighten people how I feel and why.

Name calling isn't the root of the issue, the whole argument would be moot if it weren't for an outrageously inane topic being posted in order to start (yet another) argument that stems from a point of view the OP never had any intention of backing up with so much as a well constructed sentence, let alone debate with fact. It's a topic that can get heated in and of itsself, but then to have one side claim the virtue of being correct with no evidence... that's infuriating. 

Where is Juniormint now?  Oh that's right, ducked out stage left the second enough damage was done to pin UK-Y members against each other... yet again... in yet another pointless one liner post made to instigate a reaction. 

I agree but don't let JM detract you. Don't rise to his/her baiting. I know it can be hard. Help others through this issue.

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »
Locked for now.

Sorry to those that actually stayed on topic.

Everyone go take a breather and do some yoga poses now.

:)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:30:36 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab