Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: maybe this is a strange question  (Read 1659 times)

• Liked: 0
maybe this is a strange question
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:05:45 PM »
when i came over to visit this time the customs dude was a lil off putting and i had to do some fast talking because i had a feeling he was gonna deny my entry or tell me i had to go home sooner than i planned... i bent and stretched the truth a bit and he finally stamped my passport for full time i planned to stay... so my question is this... when i get married and apply for a settlement visa will they have a record of all i said when i came on my visit??? and will that screw me up??? ???
It's the difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Lipstick? Where woman? There is no lipstick!
She wasn't kissing your lips my darling

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
She'll do it. If she has to kill everyone in this room. She'll do it. She's in love.
*sigh*
It's amazing how the path of love is so alike to the path of insanity

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

• Liked: 2
Re: maybe this is a strange question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:39:27 PM »
i doubt they have kept a record unless they either took notes or typed it quickly into their computer in front of you but even if they did, what is the problem, they asked some questions, you answered them and they let you in

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 08:42:46 PM »
well the guy did take notes... and i fibbed ok... i was afraid he wouldn't let me in so i talked my way in... and now i hope in a few months when i go back to states with my fiance/husband it doens't somehow get me in trouble when we go to apply for my settlement visa... do you think it will??

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
She'll do it. If she has to kill everyone in this room. She'll do it. She's in love.
*sigh*

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 08:48:41 PM »
Hard to say, depends what you told him - if for example you told him you didn't even have a boyfriend here and then you rock up and apply for a spouse visa in a few of months and present a years worth of relationship evidence they might question it. 

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 09:00:10 PM »
sigh... omg... now i'm gonna worry until we go for the visa... hopefully someone else can shine a lil light on this subject... i fabricated lotsa stuff real quick... i was desperate and miserable and being denied entry was like my biggest fear... I'm not well off... far from it and the thought to spend all that money to come here and for them say OH so sorry but we think it's best you go get back on that plane... it's obvious you can't afford to stay that long ... ta... cheerio... try again in a year...                   

i missed him so much... just had to get back in

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
*sigh*

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:08:10 PM »
i know where you're coming from but it really is NOT a good idea to lie to immigration in any country; hopefully the guy didn't note down anything too specific; i think maybe you should speak to an immigration consultant or lawyer who knows the system and what may be your best move now; also if you want to know exactly what they have in the system on you, you could always make a formal request for the information under the Data Protection Act.c

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 09:08:44 PM »
It's never good to lie to an Immigration official but it's difficult for anyone here to have any ideas or advice when we don't know what specifically you lied about.  Did he take down your passport number along with the notes?  Did he write anything in your passport beside the stamp? 

The other problem is we don't know how much the consular's offices check into that sort of thing when approving/denying visa applications.  You might want to check Graham's recent post on application statistics.  It's quite encouraging, actually.  http://www.talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=5921.0

It seems to me that as you've been stamped to be here for the requisite period visitors are allowed and you're not doing anything wrong, I do not see why you would have a problem.  We had a forum member who was actually denied entry, went back to the US and immediately applied for and got a fiancee visa.  I'm sure in your situation, you'll be fine. 

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 09:10:35 PM »
well you can be sure that i plan on being absolutely 100% honest from now on...  and i saw all his notes and there were alot of them... omg... I am definitely screwed

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
*sigh*

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 09:12:05 PM »
thanks elle you have made me feel much better...

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
*sigh*

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 08:30:33 AM »
Weeeelll, I was questioned about a stamp in my passport.  I told the IO that I was visiting my boyfriend in the UK but that we WEREN'T engaged (we were!).  The stamp looked normal, so I didn't question it (got it in 2001).  When we applied for my spousal visa in 2003, I was asked about the stamp....I don't know what the IO did to make it stand out!  So yeah, there's a chance you'll be asked about it, so it's best to honest! 

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 10:05:48 AM »
when i came over to visit this time the customs dude ...

FYI - it wasn't Customs, it was Immigration. 
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »
I just thought of something people may not be aware of, Jemima's comment has just reminded me of it - ALL the stamps they use are coded in some way or another, helps them detect fraud - so be aware those innocuous looking dots or lines round the edges do mean something. I was told this at an immigration fraud seminar run by the Home Office.  Nvrwas - in your situation, I would definitely make a request under the Data Protection Act/Freedom of Info Act to see ALL information held on you by the authorities. That way you can be sure what has or hasn't been recorded - to set your mind at rest if nothing else.

• Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:56:53 PM »
Have a look at your stamp - the normal tourist visa stamp will just be a black ink stamp... usually when they are suspicious of your intent & take notes (I've had it happen a couple of times) the stamp they give you looks very similar to the normal tourist visa stamp, but it has a box where they write in some letters & numbers in ballpoint pen which will enable them to reference the notes they made on your entry in future. 

It's never good to lie when being questioned by immigration - it means you are currently in the UK illegally, which could have an impact on future applications.

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 10:09:15 AM »
If it makes you feel any better:

I visited in August, November and December 2001 and got normal visitor's stamps.  The third time I came in I was asked why I was visiting the UK; I said it was my winter break, which was true.  I was then asked what I did in the US.  I said I was a musician, which was true.  Then, where was I staying--I gave the same address I had printed on my landing card, which was true.  Then he asked me "Who lives there?"  And I told him, "A friend of mine, she's an opera singer."  Which was true and perfectly legal as well since he did not ask me if she was my partner or my girlfriend!  He let me go and did not take any notes.

I then entered as a student in March 2002.  I applied for the student visa at the airport; however, you cannot do that anymore.  I also applied under the private-tuition exemption for music students, which AFAIK has now been eliminated or at least tightened up to the point where almost no one can do as I did.  So I was standing there at 7 in the morning, talking to this immigration officer, and I thought I was going to die.  He asked me a load of questions, which I expected since this was a visa application rather than just a wave-thru on a visitor's stamp.  But what really got to me was when he turned over my landing card and started making scads of notes.

Then he asked me about my job in the US.  I told him I was on leave from an orchestra, which was true, but because I never had a contract from that orchestra I did not have to actually apply for leave, the whole thing was an informal arrangement.  Other than that informal agreement I had been freelancing, working as an independent contractor, so the upshot was that I had absolutely NO WAY of proving that I had any work in the States.  I was absolutely dying, worrying that he was going to call the orchestra (it being 2 in the morning where they were) and start asking them about this, and their story was not going to match mine.  Let's just say that I did not tell any lies to get that visa, but if they had decided to really investigate, I doubt I would have been allowed into the country.

Finally he went off to see his supervisor for about five minutes.  It seemed like forever before he came back with what I was sure was going to be a refusal form.  But instead he said he was giving me a student stamp for one year, explained that I could travel as much as I wanted, stamped the passport, wrote stuff on the stamp with ballpoint pen, and sent me on my way. 

I left and re-entered Britain about three times on that visa, and they didn't blink.  The only thing they ever asked me was where I was studying.  (Oh, and one person asked me what instrument I played.)  I applied by mail for an extension in March 2003, and received my passport back within a week, with a new one-year stamp in it, no problems.

In October 2003 I went to the Consulate in New York and got an unmarried partner visa--no questions whatsoever about the student stamps.  I don't know what the coding was on my first stamp, but it didn't seem to trigger any further investigation or suspicion.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 10:54:10 AM »
Just on the subject of lying in general... It would be very nice to go through life never having to lie, if for no other reason than it's usually easier to remember the truth. 'Fabricating lotsa stuff real quick' sounds like risky business. But I think that a lie which harms no one and makes your life less complicated -- both much higher hurdles than is often appreciated -- is a sadly necessary tool in the toolbox of life. A recent example is the oath I took on becoming a British citizen wherein I pledged loyalty the queen, her heirs & successors. I have read about people who refuse to naturalise because they can't utter such words. As a republican (small 'r') do I take an honourable stand on principle, or do I cross my fingers and say the magic words?
http://www.bokeh.net/home.html

'German chocolate cake frosting was my Waterloo,' sighed the pudgy little corporal while licking cocoa from his mustachios.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab