Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Northern Ireland relations  (Read 12746 times)

• Liked: 12
Northern Ireland relations
« on: December 10, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »
Are there any members living in Clogher area of N. Ireland?  My mother had 1st cousins in Co. Tyrone and I stayed with one of them back in my twenties.  She had a young daughter and 2 teenage sons. I would love to contact the girl; her name then was Barbara Haslett and she would be in her early 50's (?) now. The mother's name was Mary (May) Foster Haslett. The boys were Raymond and Esmond.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
Re: Northern Ireland relations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »
Hi
My name is Barbara Haslett, I was born in Clogher & have 2 brothers Raymond & Esmond. My mum was Mae Foster (deceased) & my dad Ward Haslett (deceased). My nephew Aaron found this post & suggested I follow up on it. I vaguely remember someone coming to stay with us from USA, I think my mum had cut her leg badly at the time & was out if action at the time.
Would love to chat.
Regards
Barbara

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
Beverley Holbrook, you visited us in Clogher in July 1967, I have a postcard you sent my mum from Stranraer, a postcard your mum sent my mum, a postcard your mum sent me & a postcard your mum sent to you after you left us (with a JFK stamp - might be valuable!)....... All transported from NI to the land down under! Precious memories......
So excited ....... Please contact me

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
Barbara!  So exciting -- it is you!  A friend just rang me to say I'd had a response to my query (ages ago).

Yes, I visited your family  you were a little girl with long hair.  I don't remember your mum having an injury but I remember a very nice man drove us around to see all the sights -- Giant's Causeway and such.  I remember visiting Uncle Tommy (your grandad) too.

I've been married to an Englishman from Coventry and in fact lived in Leeds for over 20 years.  Then I had to go back to Boston as my mum and dad were not doing too well.  Then lost the spouse visa because I had stayed away too long.  Long story but I found out I could get an Irish passport because of my grandmother (Lizzie Foster) being born in NI.  That got me thinking about my NI relations and, back in Leeds again, wondering what happened to you all.

More later ...
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »
Since my nephew Aaron (Esmond's son) emailed  me about your post I have been racking my brains as to who this person was. Then my brain went into overdrive !!! I was on Skype to Raymond this morning & he thinks he has photos of you! After talking to Raymond I was thinking & thinking & as an avid collector of postcards from all over the world recalled a postcard from Boston & much to my husband's horror climbed into the attic to find the box! My son is now immersed in a lot of historical postcards dating back to the early 1900's. I think there may even be some cards from your grandmother to family in Ireland in the box!
This is wonderful!
Unfortunately my poor mum passed away in 1975, my dad passed away February last year. Uncle's Jimmy & Tommy also passed. Jimmy & his wife Peggy had 2 girls, Jill & Evelyn, unfortunately wee Jill passed away last year, she had a hole in her heart when she was born & was never a well girl. Raymond & Esmond are happily divorced still living in Clogher, the sawmill is still going. I married a local from FMT & we flew the nest well & truly & settled in Sydney, been here sine 1979. We have 2 boys & are going to be grandparents next year.
I do go home regularly, next trip booked for May 2014.
Are you a Facebook person? I know some people hate it, but it is a great way to keep in touch, I also love Skype.
My long hair is long gone, my mum was so proud of my hair, I chopped it all off & became a bit of a rebel when she died...... :)))
I will have to Skype Raymond, he is going to be so excited! We were talking about all the relatives on the Foster side of the family - Moffats, Buchanans etc, people we lost contact with after mum died & Raymond said this morning that there is no-one left on that side of the family that would remember anyone, so this is amazing ........
So your grandmother & my grands Foster were brother & sister - is that right? So what does that make us? Cousins??
All I can say is WOW!!!!! Please keep in touch xx

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
This is awesome! How fun that you found each other!  :D

• Liked: 82
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
What a lovely story of reunited relatives!! This board is super amazing!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
Yes, we must be 2nd cousins once removed (?) or something like that.  Never did figure out how that worked.

My grandmother Eliza (Lizzie) was your grandfather (Tommy)'s sister.  I think there must have been about 10 of them all and a lot of them went over to the US and Canada.  Sadly I don't remember my grandma (she died shortly after I was born) but there were two uncles (Bill and Bob) who lived nearby and also met Andy (from Ontario Canada) and Joe (from Nebraska -- he had a cattle ranch out there!)  There was also Aunt Jane who went to Canada but I never knew here.  Tommy was in Boston for awhile but went back to NI -- maybe some of the others too.
I remember Raymond and Esmond, but don't remember who was older (they looked a lot alike)  I have a photo somewhere of you standing outside your house, more (very fuzzy) photos taken of Uncle Tommy and Jimmy and the dog 'Lily' !!
Lucky your nephew spotted the post!
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:26 PM »
Yes, we must be 2nd cousins once removed (?) or something like that.  Never did figure out how that worked.

My grandmother Eliza (Lizzie) was your grandfather (Tommy)'s sister. 

If you share great-grandparents (aka Eliza and Tommy's parents), then you are second cousins. Once removed indicates a separation of generations. So, BostonDiner, your son is BM's second cousin once removed and you are the second cousin once removed of BM's children.

BD's son and BM's children, however, are third cousins, since they share great-great grandparents. THEIR children would be fourth cousins.

I spent way too much time on Ancestry.com while unemployed a few years ago.  ;D

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
This is one of the nicest threads on UKY, ever!  :D
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
This has all been so amazing! I grew up in the Clogher Valley not knowing much about my Grandad Foster & here I am living on the other side of the world hearing about brothers & sisters of his that i never knew existed! Granny Foster passed away when I was a baby.
When I was little, Grandad Foster had a big book of postcards from all over the world & I was always fascinated by the pretty pictures & stamps. I never read the cards, just looked at the pictures. Somehow these postcards came into my possession, on one of my trips 'home' I brought them back to Australia with me & put them in the attic. After making contact with Boston Diner I retrieved them from the attic & had a read, there are cards sent to my Grandad from Lizzie in the early 1900's .
I am now going to sit down & go through them in more detail to see what story unfolds....
Needless to say, my love of pretty postcards has continued & I have a huge collection from all over the world from my many travels, there are still more places to visit & more postcards to collect.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 05:35:58 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on cousins, Aimless!

Was your grandma's name Annie, BM?  I think my mum used to write to her and then later to your mum.  Love to know what was written in those old postcards!
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »
This just made my heart go  [smiley=smitten.gif]