Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Child passport renewal: Progression of photos of under five's  (Read 17017 times)

• So happy to be with my family again!
    • My Average Life
  • Liked: 0
Re: Child passport renewal: Progression of photos of under five's
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Well, no one replied, but now that we've been, I can share our experience!

We left our phones in the car (we parked in Greenwich & took the tube to Bond St). We stopped off at the post office to pick up a mail-back envelope (discovered the night before that we would need this). TIP: if you're renewing for more than one kid - you only need one envelope, they will combine into one package (we had bought 2, just in case).

We arrived for our pre-scheduled 9:30 appointment. I believe this was the last appt. of the day. We had to surrender my ear buds (??) and DH's car key fob. We could've taken our phones (instead of leaving them in the car) & other electronic devices as they collect them from you at the entrance & give you a check number to pick them up after your appointment is over (wish I'd known this since I couldn't do any phoneography on our way there or on our way home!).

The appointment took about 2-3 hours (just as others may have said). We first waited to give our info to a clerk, then paid. Then we waited again for them to process everything & then call us back up to ask questions and swear that they really are our kids. TIP: take snacks or gum and something to do (we ended up playing a dozen hang-man games w/ our 7 & 11 yr old).

We didn't need the photo progression pix (we did take them), but that might be because our kids were older when they got their first passports (2 & 5) so their looks didn't change much.

Overall, it was pretty painless.
Met my Brit (in Chicago): July 1993
First UK trip: March 1995
Married my Brit: 5 Aug 1995
Started a business, had kids, never thought we'd move to the UK...
Decided to make the big move: Spring 2010
Passed my Life in the UK test: November 2010
DH & kids arrival date: August 2011
My arrival date: 11 August 2012 (FINALLY!!)
Passed my UK driving test: 17 June 2013 (whew!)
Became a British Citizen: 30 October 2015!

Twitter & Instagram: shellyblake

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
The appointment took about 2-3 hours (just as others may have said). We first waited to give our info to a clerk, then paid. Then we waited again for them to process everything & then call us back up to ask questions and swear that they really are our kids. TIP: take snacks or gum and something to do (we ended up playing a dozen hang-man games w/ our 7 & 11 yr old).

We didn't need the photo progression pix (we did take them), but that might be because our kids were older when they got their first passports (2 & 5) so their looks didn't change much.

Overall, it was pretty painless.

Thanks very much for this detailed summary. I have an appointment scheduled to renew for our three children at the beginning of May. However, I also am about to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and want to get that done as soon as possible.

I would be very interested to know what expectation I should have as to the turnaround of the passport renewal. After your appointment, how many days/weeks did it take the USA to get your kids new passports back to you?

Cheers,
Paul Thompson
Paul Thompson
South Ascot, Berkshire

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
This (and US taxes) is one of the most stressful things about living in the UK.

The 5 year renewal comes around so quickly, and with our kids also being UK citizens, doubly so.

The hardest thing is getting an appointment during school vacation.  The embassy releases dates about three weeks in advance and they are gone in an instant.  A few years ago, we ditched our US vacation because we could not get US passports and met up with family in Niagara Falls, ON.

We did a passport replacement at the start of the Easter holidays for our DD.  We had an 8am appointment, and got the photos at a place in Oxford Street at 7.45 am.  We could have gone to a Snappy Snaps in our town but the appointment slipped up on me - but the Oxford Street place was a lot cheaper.

At the embassy, you queue outside so be ready for the weather.  They check your appointment letter.  You go through airport security where they check passports.  If you have any electronics, they will take them for safekeeping.  There is no need to travel without your phone or store it in a commercial place. 

When you enter the building, you get a queue number.  You sit in the waiting room until you are called.  The first call is to hand over your documents.  Then you go to the cashier.  Then to reception to arrange the courier.  After that, you have to wait a while for your application to be processed.  At that stage, your family is interviewed by the consular officer, including the child, and then you are free to go.

Despite very stern instructions and forms, the whole experience is very relaxed and friendly.  The passport takes about three weeks to arrive.  I had my DD's passport delivered to my work and warned the receptionist to expect it.  The tracking system pinpoints the delivery to a specific date, 8am - 6pm.

We had an 8am appointment and I think we were out by just after 9am.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
Thank you for the excellent synopsis! Good point about the weather, esp with all this rain :)

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37:27 PM »
The appointments are available more than 3 weeks in advance.  Appt times will vary depending on the day of the week you choose.

Goulds pharmacy is the cheapest for photos and if you need a Royal Mail special delivery envelope, there is a post office a few blocks from the Embassy.

When you get your number at the embassy, you will be called in order, however, after the initial start, other numbers may be called first even in the same category.

The lines can build up at the cashiers window but move quickly. You will have to que in this line twice. Once for the birth registration and then for the passport.

We were last there in Jan for birth registration, first passport, and SS card. They used to print the birth registrations off if you chose to wait a bit longer but now they just mail everything.

We had an 8 am appt and took the train down the night before and then stayed another night. Found a really cheap hotel north of the embassy, think it was the four seasons. Made it much more relaxing. Our daughter is 3 and she walked the distance easily. 

Our last trip down was for her in Jan 2008

It took about 2 weeks to get our sons first passport and a bit longer for the birth registration and SS card. Was bummed that they fold the certificate, they are gorgeous documents.

Sponsored Links