Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Mum UK citizenship questions  (Read 3177 times)

• Liked: 5
Re: British Mum UK citizenship questions
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 02:57:36 PM »
First of all, welcome!!

Second of all, Peedal is very correct.  You are actually in a great position, since you likely can get a Brit passport and all.  If this doesn't work out, then we can talk about the hard way of doing things.   ;D

Good luck with your call to the Consulate!

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 03:15:17 PM »
Hi, Scott. Just saw this thread and thought I'd just say welcome from another No. Californian (San Francisco via the Santa Cruz area) - my brother and his family all live in El Dorado Hills! I now live in a London suburb with my fiance.

Anyway, good luck with your plans and I'm sure several of us will take you up on that BBQ when you arrive!  :D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 08:54:26 PM »
Well, Im calling the consulate now. But the only worry i have is after looking at the website, someone here was nice enough to show a link for, it says something to the affect of I have to have been living there for 5 years before I can do this?? Really??.hmmm..

Im going to call the Consulate now

Thanks everyone!

Scott

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 09:06:21 PM »
Disregard that last post!

Just from reading everything VERY carefully for the Application for UKM..Citizen by decent...I am totally eligible. My Mom, eh (Mum) was a citizen of the UK when I was born..and my grandparents were citizens of the UK when she was born, Its like I have all my bases covered here..LOL!!

you guys are fantastic for the info! Thanks. Im going to call the Consulate now just to firm things up..

Im very excited

Scott

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 09:09:22 PM »
I think you are getting very confused.  If you get visa clearance based on your mother being a Brit citizen, you are IN!!!  You will have a Brit passport and citizenship. 

The only five year thing I can think of is if you are on work permit, you cannot apply for residency until you have lived in the UK for 5 years.   But, if you get a visa based on your mother's citizenship, you don't need a work permit and this 5 year thing will not apply to you.

The best thing to remember at this point is all visas are NOT created equal.  Each one comes with its own set of rules.  You cannot automatically apply the rules and limitations of one to another.

So, first focus on the rules associated with getting based on your mom (Uk ancestry visa?). 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 09:41:43 PM »
I think Sara is talking about the 4 year ancestry visa (an open work visa)  which people from some commonwealth countries can get if their grandparents were from the UK but Scott's mother is from the Uk so he should be eligible for citizenship by descent.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 09:52:22 PM »
Im sorry to be so confusing everyone..LOL

Yes..Britwife has it right.."Citizenship by decent"..looks like my key...still need to call the Consulate!

You are all so helpfull

Scott

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 10:01:04 PM »
we are all dying to know the outcome now! hope you can get through & post back soon!! :)

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 10:05:22 PM »
I am so sorry to add to the confusion.   [smiley=dizzy2.gif]  I have had a rough day.

By visa clearance, I just meant if he gets a visa through his mom and is legally allowed into the country.  Sorry, if there is a correct term that I didn't use to describe this.

And sorry about the confusion on the type of visa.  I wasn't quite sure of the name.  I thought by putting the question mark I was showing that I wasn't 100% on the name, but I guess I just compounded the problem.

I am really sorry I just made it worse.   [smiley=smash.gif]  You can bonk me on the head.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 10:07:06 PM by Sara Smile »

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 10:19:03 PM »
Hello, I just saw your post, and I don't know if your question has been answered in full already (I haven't read the follow-ups to your post yet), so I thought I'd tell you what I could about this since I am in a very similar boat.

I was born in the US in 73 to one American and one Brit. A few years ago, after some rigorous enquiries, I discovered that I was technically a British Citizen under British law, and that all I had to do to settle in Britain as "one of the flock" was to apply for a British Passport, which I got a year ago. Here is what I had to do to get that Passport...

I needed these documents:

My official birth certificate, with the names of both my parents.

My father's (who is my British parent) birth certificate, which I ordered via telephone from the GRO (General Registry Office) and got in two weeks. This was to prove the father who appears on my birth certicate was born in Britain.

My parents' official marriage license. Make sure it is issued by the state where they were married, not by the church. They will reject a church certificate -- I should know b/c they sent the one I gave them back and I had to apply to Iowa to give me an official one. That cost ten bucks and two weeks of time to get here. This links my birth to my father's through his marriage to my mother.

My father's British Passport. Obviously this proves he is a British citizen. I had to get my dad to renew his childhood passport to do this.

Every single Passport I have ever had.

Four Passport sized photos of myself.

Two letters affirming my identity, from a person from a list of 'accepted professions' you will find on your Passport app. when you get it. Each of these letters had to have a photo of me stapled on it, with this statement on the back, written by the authors of my 'identity letters.' the statement goes "I certify that this is a true likeness of ----."

A written statement from my mother and father, stating they did indeed marry, and that I was in fact their son.

It took that, and about 100 US dollars for the fee. I had my UK Passport back in about ten days -- it was hard to get all those documents together, but once I had them it was a simple and straightforward procedure.

I got all the information on that I could ever use from this site: www.britainusa.com  -- and usually when you call the British Embassy in the states, they just refer you to that webpage anyway, so you might have already got it :)

At any rate, please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions about the process. All my friends thought I was a crazy liar when I told them I was getting a UK Passport, but I got to kick the sand right back in their faces -- KICK!! Ha-ha-ha! I myself was even worried the whole time that this was to good to be true and they'd find some reason to deny me. Not so!

Now they'll have their hands full once I get there!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 10:20:55 PM by jim fat »
ouchy

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 10:45:19 PM »
by the way - with a UK Passport you do not need to have anything further with you to settle or work in the UK. It's just like being in the US with a US Passport -- it entitles you to the full rights and responsibilities of being British, because you are British!

Not only that, but you are also technically an EU citizen. The full list of your EU rights will be laid out on your passport application for you to gawk at and thank god for!
ouchy

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »
but My Mom is now an American citizen, however she was born and raised there..and my grandparents are officially british citizens still

Sorry to post again, BUT--

Britain will NOT revoke British citizenship just because someone has naturalised in the US.

The only way you can give up your British citizenship is to formally renounce in front of a UK gov't official. If your mum dinna do that, then she is British to this very day, and so, my friend, are you.

Trust me  ;) -- I got two passports to prove it!!
ouchy

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 10:58:50 PM »
Well, Im calling the consulate now. But the only worry i have is after looking at the website, someone here was nice enough to show a link for, it says something to the affect of I have to have been living there for 5 years before I can do this?? Really??.hmmm..

NO! You are British! Get that passport and that's all you will ever need! Do not look at visa info, that will just confuse you b/c you don't need a visa. As a British Citizen, none of that applies to you. What you need to do is call the embassy (leave a message is what I had to do) and tell them your name and address, and ask them to send a passport app. Gather the docs, pay the fee, and go to Britain. I will see you there, too!

sorry to keep posting, but I am in exactly the same boat, almost the exact same age, and I had all these same questions two years ago -- and believe me I was confused! And I kept wanting to approach it as if I was not a UK citizen -- silly me!
ouchy

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 11:09:17 PM »
I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry to put five post from me on one page -- BUT

I should also mention that you will need to get a US passport, too, because US law requires you to travel in and out of the US on a Yankee passport.

And GOOD LUCK! --and don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have!

ouchy

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 11:19:20 PM »
ONE MORE THING  (so sorry!)

You will want to read up on this, to become familiar with US policy towards Americans who have dual nationality. You will need to know all this, esp. since I have found there are few americans who understand dual nationality, and many, many people think it is illegal (which is dead wrong).

http://www.travel.state.gov/law/dualnationality.html
ouchy

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab