Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Mum UK citizenship questions  (Read 3191 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Re: British Mum UK citizenship questions
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2004, 07:45:05 PM »
I'm a little late, but I thought I'd add some thoughts, as I am in the middle of the same process.

I was born in 1972 in the US to a British mother and American father, so my situation is very similar to yours.  The UK(M) form fits perfectly.  All I needed was my birth certificate, my current US passport, my mom's birth certificate, and my mom's expired passport.  Your parents' marriage info (mentioned by someone earlier) is not needed when it's your mom who is the British citizen.

Can you make the application without a US passport?  I know I sent mine in, but maybe there were alternatives to which I didn't pay attention.

I sent off my application and the documents.  In about 2 or 3 weeks, I got a letter acknowledging receipt and stating that the information had been sent to the Home Office for processing.  Also enclosed were the documents I had submitted (I assume they made their own copies to send to the HO).  That was at the end of April, and I have not gotten my citizenship certificate yet, so it probably will take a little while.  But you will get the documents back much earlier, so you don't need to worry about being without them for months.

Once I have the certificate, I'll apply for the passport.
Liz

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2004, 07:58:30 PM »
Here it is!!.. ;D

I got worried for a bit..(thanks Britwife)

Ok I think Im straight on all of this now. I will first get my US passport. Then register as a citizen, then get UK Passport.

got it got it got it! :)

So it sounds like when i send the documents they need they send them backin a timely manner, I was worried of that cause they need originals and not copies I would presume..

Ok its all coming to gether!
Thanks one and all

Scott

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 04:03:09 AM »
I sent off my application and the documents.  In about 2 or 3 weeks, I got a letter acknowledging receipt and stating that the information had been sent to the Home Office for processing.  Also enclosed were the documents I had submitted (I assume they made their own copies to send to the HO).  That was at the end of April, and I have not gotten my citizenship certificate yet, so it probably will take a little while.  But you will get the documents back much earlier, so you don't need to worry about being without them for months.

Once I have the certificate, I'll apply for the passport.

So, does this mean, once I receive my certificate of citizenship after registering, through the UKM form, my certificate is all I will need to apply for a UK passport, or do I still need further documentation to be sent with Application for the UK passport??

And thanks again everyone!!

Scott

• Hi there.
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 02:13:22 PM »

So, does this mean, once I receive my certificate of citizenship after registering, through the UKM form, my certificate is all I will need to apply for a UK passport, or do I still need further documentation to be sent with Application for the UK passport??

And thanks again everyone!!

Scott

Right--just the certificate will be needed to demonstrate eligibility for the passport.

Here's the application form:  http://www.britainusa.com/consular/c1form04.pdf
Here are the notes for the form: http://www.britainusa.com/consular/c1notes04.pdf

Section 1b applies to our situation.  The notes say that we can skip section 2 if we are registered as citizens (which we will be).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 02:33:17 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

• Hi there.
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2004, 04:54:28 PM »
Scott, I just got word that my certificate has been received by the Consulate.  I have to go in for a citizenship ceremony.  As soon as I do that, they'll give me the certificate.  I'll then apply for the passport right away.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the process, as you'll be doing basically the same thing.

So that was about 3.5 months to get the citizenship certificate.
Liz

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 06:21:56 PM »
Scott, I just got word that my certificate has been received by the Consulate.  I have to go in for a citizenship ceremony.  As soon as I do that, they'll give me the certificate.  I'll then apply for the passport right away.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the process, as you'll be doing basically the same thing.

So that was about 3.5 months to get the citizenship certificate.

Hey! look at that, good for you!
And I will be definitely asking you questions..Im real good at that!..LOL

Scott

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2004, 09:27:24 AM »
Hey all..

with all of the support and valuable information I have gotten here I just wanted to say Thank You..and too bump up this thread..LOL

I am coming to the UK to rediscover my heritage!!

Im going to apply for my US passport this week..

then once that comes in apply for citizenship via the UK(M)

then..once that is approved...I will apply for my UK passport..

Im hoping to accomplish this all within 6 months..of course if it takes longer...its all good..

Im very excited..and can't wait to start over again...what an adventure!

Peace
Scott

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2004, 09:30:33 AM »
Great news!!!  Here's wishing you all the best in your adventures of rediscovery!!!

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2004, 09:39:40 AM »
Thanks Elle!!

I feel this is exactly what I need!..Patience is required..but it will happen!!

Im very excited...wish i could leave tomorrow..alas...I will make it!!

Scott

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2005, 05:29:05 AM »
Wow, almost a year since I had a dream...

Well, ITS BACK ON!!
Ive decided to stop wasting my dreamtime, and get on with what is important to me..

The goal is to be a UK citizen and living in the UK this time next year.

Obtain list:  US Passport -  UK(M) Citizenship - UK Passport- get my bum to England :)

PS, nice to be back on the board here!

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2005, 07:20:56 PM »
Welcome back, Scootyes! You got the right idea, you just need to get yer bum over here!
ouchy

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2005, 07:34:34 PM »
Yay!  Get moving, you!!

My husband has his appt. at the consulate to get his certificate next week-they called him last week.  In his case, it only took about 9 weeks to get the OK.  Here's hoping it's nice and quick for you, too!

Sponsored Links