Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Electronics  (Read 1026 times)

• Liked: 0
Electronics
« on: February 24, 2003, 09:08:30 PM »
Hello!

I would like to take my CDs to Enlgand but I know I cant take my American player. Are any British CD players multi region? Also, should I buy a phone adaptor and take my American phone or just wait until I arrive in England. If I wait then I'll need a mobile phone. How expensive are they? lol Thanks in advance.

Sparx ;D

Re: Electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 11:36:26 PM »
CDs are not regionalized.  So, your American CDs will play just fine in a UK player, and vice versa.

As far as phones go -- you're best bet is to buy a phone here.  They are not expensive.  Apparently there is a difference in rings and other things that will make a US phone not work quite right in the UK.  Also, the plug-in to the phone jack is different in the UK.  Mobile phones can be expensive, or not expensive.  I bought a pay-as-you-go phone the first week we were here.  I spent 99GBP on the phone (could have gotten an phone for 69GBP, but wanted a different phone) which had a pay as you go plan.  Walk down any High Street and you'll find multiple mobile phone retailers.  For me, pay as you go works best.  I don't use it that much, simply have it on when I go out of the house during the day (in case school calls), or when I travel.  I don't make that many calls.  OK, the first month I made a ton of calls, but that was because that was our ONLY phone for the first month , so we used it for everything, including calling back to the States.

HTH,
Stephanie

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 12:07:21 AM »
Thanks so much!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 12:16:01 AM »
Hello!

I would like to take my CDs to England but I know I cant take my American player. Are any British CD players multi region? Also, should I buy a phone adaptor and take my American phone. .....

Listen to Stephanie:- US (landline) phones won't work in the UK, and unless you are making lots of phone calls a pay-as-you-go phone is the way to go.  When I lived in the UK I had a Virgin phone - you can check them out at http://Virgin.com.  I used my phone for several short calls a week and I reckon that it was cheaper than a £25($40)/month contract in year 1, even after paying £70 ($112) for the phone.  In year 2 it's loads cheaper because you already own the phone.  ;D

Good news on your CD player - it will work in the UK, all you need is a transformer.  You can get a good deal at http://dvdoverseas.com (they're based in Chicago), and if you have a decent hifi go for a larger (1Kw) power-smoothing transformer to get the best from your CD player/ receiver/ amplifier.

If you are interested, CD players will work OK in the UK because they have their own speed governor and are not dependent on the frequency of the mains to determine the speed of the motor.  My British CD player works perfectly here in the US on a dvdoverseas.com transformer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2003, 01:08:27 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 04:43:15 PM »
I use a pay-as-you-go phone as well, but I use the Vodophone service. It's really convenient for me. I don't use it enough to justify a monthly contract, and I just add money to the phone whenever I'm in Boots or Tescos or whatever. The phone itself cost a bit (don't remember, sorry!) - but they don't have to. I just wanted something fancy. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 08:26:50 AM »
I've got a really stupid question, I'm sure...  Stereo equipment, particularly speakers...  When I visited London four years ago, I checked out an electronics store, and I asked about bringing in electronic equipment from the states...   The sales person said that the only item I can bring in from the states that won't need a transformer or special component to make it work normally are my speakers...  He said I could even connect them to a UK     220 V amplifier or receiver and they would work fine...  Is this true, or will the result of this be KAIN-TUCKY FRIED speakers?  I really like these speakers and would love to make it work if possible.   :-/
Willow (Jennifer)
Oak (John)

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 03:43:30 PM »
I've got a really stupid question, I'm sure...  Stereo equipment, particularly speakers...  ....

No its true, (unless you have some of those mains power speakers, which are pretty rare I think).  Speakers run on really low voltage output from the amplifier- if you don't believe me take the cable out of the speaker and grip both of the wires between your thumb - see you haven't fried!
Richard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab