Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm going to Sheffield!  (Read 1871 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm going to Sheffield!
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »
I have to call and make an appointment to do my biometrics in Sheffield with in the next week or two so don't have a date just yet. The online booking wont work for me which is very annoying  >:( I'll find out tomorrow a date for sure, but meanwhile I just thought I would see if any one wanted to meet up for coffee or lunch while I'm in town???

Re: I'm going to Sheffield!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »
I'm interested Jupy, but can't make any promises at the minute on DD nor this one...  ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
No promises works for me Teletabby! I just got off the phone and have an appointment on Friday the 8Th. I know it's not much notice so understand if you cant make it.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:54:35 AM »
Under normal circumstances I would, unfortunately I'm stuck waiting at home for DD's bed to be delivered.   :P  Good luck with the biometrics though! 

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »
Thanks, I should be fine with the bio appointment. It's literally my 5Th time doing them now  ;)

Do you have any idea of a nice but not super expensive place to have lunch near the UKBA Vulcan House? This will be my second time in Sheffield. The first time I seriously caught a train, got a cab from the station in Sheffield, went to UKBA did my stuff, then cab back to station and home again. This time I want to do I bit of exploring!  [smiley=help.gif]

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
Sorry not been ignoring you, had to think where the heck Vulcan House is!   [smiley=doh.gif]

Not quite sure of places to eat around there, but did a quick search for what's in the area on View Sheffield - Pubs and View Sheffield - Restaurants, so that may give you a better idea of something you may be interested in.  The only place I've been to in that area is Kelham Island Tavern, but then I was only there to drink, not to eat.  :-\\\\

Otherwise, if you venture into the centre of Sheffield I'd really recommend Gusto Italiano as a nice little cafe that does really good food, but it can get pricey depending on what / how much you order.  Another good place nearby to Gusto Italiano is All Bar One that does pretty good food for a decent price.

Good luck and in worse case you may need to prepare to walk to Vulcan House as busses may not be running if it keeps snowing like this and Taxi services may be scarce, but shouldn't really be a problem at the station (fingers crossed).  Trams should still be running though, so you you could catch the tram from train station down to Castle Square and walk it.   :-\\\\  Keep an eye on it disruptions at Travel South Yorkshire - Service Disruptions.

Good luck again!

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info Teletabby! I'm a bit worried about the weather and finding my way if I have to walk. Hopefully everything will be fine. I'll probably just wonder around after the appointment and eat where ever the wind blows me  :). I will be bringing a friend so should be a fun adventure especially if the snow keeps up.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info Teletabby! I'm a bit worried about the weather and finding my way if I have to walk. Hopefully everything will be fine. I'll probably just wonder around after the appointment and eat where ever the wind blows me  :). I will be bringing a friend so should be a fun adventure especially if the snow keeps up.

No worries, always nicer to have someone else to help you get lost with.  Just in case you may want to get the numbers for a few Sheffield Cab co's just in case, as when it snows its an absolute pain to try and get a cab.  I ended up trekking it one night a couple years back from work to the train station as I couldn't even get a hold of a cab co to get a lift (and the lovely trams - who have a P&R right next to where I worked stopped running).

Oh the joys of UK map reading - deceptive distances.  You either think someplace is insanely far away or think something is very close only to find it's the opposite.

To give you an idea of whre Castle Square's at here's the map from the UKBA website .  Look for the arrow where Vulcan House is, then look straight down to where Arundel Gate and Commercial St. meet (yellow roads) - that's Castle Sq.  The little Red boxes are the supertram (tram) stops.   ;)  Once you get to Castle Square if you head towards the Cathedral that's the main centre of town so you'll find loads of shops and places to eat.   ;)

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:08 AM »
You Rock Teletabby! That map will really come in handy for me. I'll have to try and make it to the next Sheffield meet-up since we have no meet ups in Lincolnshire (and by we I mean me since I don't know of any others in these parts). Once again thank you for the info. I appreciate all your help.  :)

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:01:20 PM »
He he, no worries.  The Met Office is saying it's supposed to be snowing with temps about 0 for Friday in Sheffs at the moment.  They're pretty accurate as they're the source that the BBC et all use.   ;)

Whereabouts are you in Lincolnshire if you don't mind me asking?

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 10:04:35 AM »
Yes, I've already checked the weather and the snow boots have been brought out :) I hope tomorrow goes smoothly for us. I would hate for my friend to have a bad time since she is only going to keep me company. I live in Coningsby Lincolnshire. It's a tiny village about 40 minutes from Lincoln.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »
He he he, a former Girl Scout then?  Just think, you can't have a bad time, just a rather interesting adventure!   ;)

Ah, so you're near the RAF base I take it?  My MIL's from further north - a little village called Goxhill (near Hull).  There used to be an RAF / USAF base there, but it's closed now - but there's a plaque on the side of one of the roads that details the USAF's history in the area and someone in the village sells books and videos about it as well.

Sponsored Links