Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UK Equivalent to Disinfectant Spray Like Lysol  (Read 15405 times)
Jynxie
Neophyte
**

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: Porth Tywyn
Posts: 89


Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin



« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »

I'm in a similar quandary! I can't seem to find anything like Lysol spray disinfectant, here in Wales! Sure, you can find stuff that kills germs--but nothing that kills germs AND kills mould/mildew! Dettol does make a mould and mildew remover, but it is the equivalent of "Tilex," and is a lot harsher. I want something that kills both germs and fungus! You'd think something like this would be readily available in this country, seeing as it's so bloody damp, here! >.< All the buildings are stone or brick, and condensation thrives in this place.
Logged

Wherever you go, there you are!
sweetpeach
Maestro
*****

Reputation: 8
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: York
Posts: 6667



WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »

You've brought up a very old thread, but I have found Dettol spray disinfectant. Unfortunately, I don't remember which store I bought it from.
Logged
Jynxie
Neophyte
**

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: Porth Tywyn
Posts: 89


Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin



« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »

Really?! A disinfectant that has fungicide in it?! I know that Dettol products are sold in Homebase, but I've not come across anything that kills mould and germs all in one fell swoop!
Logged

Wherever you go, there you are!
drofnnyl
Junkie
****

Reputation: 2
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 325



« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »

Jynxie-- for that, we use a diluted solution of bleach and water in a plastic spray bottle.  To prevent the mold, open a window a little... especially in the kitchen while cooking or washing dishes and in the bathroom while showering.
Logged
MaryKate
Guest

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Dettol-Mould--Mildew-Remover-Spray/17439011?from=search&tags=|20000&param=mould&parentContainer=SEARCHmould_SHELFVIEW

KILLS 99.9% of BACTERIA & VIRUSES.
No need to scrub - contains active bleach.
Specially formulated with a powerful bleach to easily remove even ingrained mould and mildew.
Logged
alilbabba
Junkie
****

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: Calverton, Notts
Posts: 356




« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

I got my Dettol disinfectant at ASDA.

The active ingredient in many of the Lysol products is benzalkonium chloride. This ingredient is highly toxic to fish, very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates, moderately toxic to birds and slightly toxic ("safe") to mammals.


I have a clean freak friend who will attest to the wiki info above. She killed her daughters fish in the fishtank as she sprayed it in the room, it landed on the water and poor fishy took it in. She was mortified.
Logged

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'
windycitywids
Groupie
***

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: Greater Manchester
Posts: 234




« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »

You have to be really careful with Lysol products and for years that's all I used here in the states. It was recommended by the builder who was redoing my bathroom to get rid of the mold that was found behind the broken tiles. I used it but wouldn't allow my animals anywhere near that bathroom until it was completely finished. I  developed a hacking cough when I was done spraying and I used a mask! We use bleach here mainly for the laundry (whites) and although I particularly don't use it anymore it is a common practice in the States. My husband says bleach is for throwing down the loo or killing mold. We mostly use natural products now and there are many on the market that are really excellent. My DIL won't wash my Grandson's clothes at my house because I use a bio friendly laundry soap. She thinks that it isn't possible to actually get clothes clean without chemicals. I think that is the mentality of many Americans. If she only knew how bad some of them are for your skin never mind a baby's skin she'd be shocked.
Logged

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

May you find hope in the darkest hours and focus on the brightest days free from bitterness that grows you may not judge the universe.
Jynxie
Neophyte
**

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: Porth Tywyn
Posts: 89


Gwiddon Coch, Sir Gaerfyrddin



« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »

In this case, bleach is not a feasible alternative. I need to spray fabrics, such as curtains and clothing that's hanging up. I'm well aware to use care, when using such products. The place will be aired-out, the animals will be going next door, there will be no foodstuffs exposed, and no children running about. I've actually found some real Lysol disinfectant spray on Amazon.co.uk...it's rather dear (nearly 20 quid, including VAT and s&h), but nothing else will do, in this particular situation!
Logged

Wherever you go, there you are!
0phinky
Guru
*****

Reputation: 7
Offline Offline

Location: London
Posts: 1019



« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Dettol-Mould--Mildew-Remover-Spray/17439011?from=search&tags=|20000&param=mould&parentContainer=SEARCHmould_SHELFVIEW

KILLS 99.9% of BACTERIA & VIRUSES.
No need to scrub - contains active bleach.
Specially formulated with a powerful bleach to easily remove even ingrained mould and mildew.



That stuff did an amazing job on my mould-infested washing machine drawer.  I'd used all sorts of other stuff -- I started with much milder stuff and some with bleach, some without, to no avail -- and it was a serious black, oozy mould farm in there.  The Dettol spray wiped out all of the mould.  Definitely not for fabrics and such, though.  

Ahhh, mould.  How I loathe you!   Undecided
Logged
Tremula
Guest

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »

Ahhh, mould.  How I loathe you!   Undecided

Except on cheese or salami maybe...
Logged
markdove
Newcomer
*

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 1



« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:56 PM »

Dettol
Hi there! please note that on eBay UK you can now buy Lysol spray to go (28g) for only £8,50 including free shipping 1st class postage!
this is news! till now was only available to order from USA and would cost you about £14 + waiting time for shipping Smiley!
just search on eBay for ; Lysol Disinfectant Spray, "To Go," Crisp Linen, 1 Ounce (28g)
enjoy!
Logged
woadgrrl
GoldMember
*****
United Kingdom

Reputation: 26
Offline Offline

Gender: Female
Location: South Uist, Western Isles, Scotland
Posts: 980




« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »

Lysol is a brand name of disinfectant household cleaners distributed by Reckitt Benckiser. The active ingredient in many of the Lysol products is benzalkonium chloride. This ingredient is highly toxic to fish, very highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates, moderately toxic to birds and slightly toxic ("safe") to mammals.

Everything is toxic, eventually.  Even water.  It's got its own MSDS and everything.

I'm definitely not a 'Kill All the Bacterias!' type.  I tend to think most people, especially kids, could do with a bit less disinfecting, and a bit more dirt. 

But not everyone can handle that.  People who are already immune-compromised need to be able to reduce exposure to common, everyday pathogens.  And there are some things that nobody needs to be exposed to.  Disinfectants like those used in Lysol or Dettol save lives. 

As far as over-use goes, they sort of surface spray that OP was asking for isn't the problem.  It's the every-other-cleaning-product-under-the-sun, that's the problem.  Home-made, or 'eco-friendly' products are perfectly sufficient for most uses, for most people.  But when we're talking about the sorts of very contagious illness that have people exploding from both ends, it's time to turn to the wonders of modern chemistry, and bring out the big guns.
Logged

internationalgab
Newcomer
*

Reputation: 0
Offline Offline

Posts: 7



« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 05:14:22 PM »

Mind-blown...

best forum ever. Time to stop getting sick every 2 months...
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  



  Sponsored Ads