Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Totally confused and ready to go bonkers!!!!  (Read 884 times)

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
  • Liked: 0
Totally confused and ready to go bonkers!!!!
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:02:41 PM »
Helllo anyone who can help me!!!! Hubby and I are coming up on having to file for his visa for the States and I have to do my taxes as I too didn't know I had to file them while living in the UK. I moved here in September of 2002 and didn't file for the year 2002 (even though I was sent my W-2) from my job in the States that I left before I came here. OK...so here's my question....I started my UK job on December 3rd 2002 and have my P60 for 2002-2003. Soooo....how do I file? Do I file a 1040A and a 25555EZ? Or just one or the other? Also...for my 2003-2004 UK income...what form do I file? Also...where do I send the forms once they've been filed? Am freaking out here a bit! Helllllllpppppp :-\\\\ :-\\\\ :-\\\\ :-\\\\

• Liked: 0
Re: Totally confused and ready to go bonkers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 04:01:41 PM »
Check out www.turbotax.com.  They've been the only online filing service that has ever handled all facets of filing for myself, being an overseas filer.  Just to be aware, the federal and state taxes will have to be filed by post because they don't yet accept electronic filing for those living outside the US.

You can also contact a live person, if need be (for a fee), which might be useful for back-filing for 2002 and 2003.

In your situation, you will include the W-2 information for the part of 2002 you worked and then you will also exclude the income from December 2, 2002-December 31, 2002 (basically one month's pay) as it will most likely be under the $80,000 threshold.  Remember, the US tax year runs over the calendar year (unlike the UK) so it only takes into account income from January 1-December 31.  I know when I moved over halfway through the year, I got a really good refund.  For 2003, you most likely will have a $0 liability so at least you shouldn't be penalized for owing tax money!

Hope this helps,
Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab