Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: blue jean dye rubbing off on everything  (Read 10109 times)

• Liked: 0
blue jean dye rubbing off on everything
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
I bought some new jeans when I was in Phoenix in Jan.  I have washed them several times but the dye is rubbing off, even my hands get blue from putting them in my pockets.  They are Ralph Lauren jeans so not cheap.  I have bought this brand before but they are usually ok after a couple of washes.  Does anybody know what I can do to set the dye so it stops bleeding.  I remember something about adding vinegar to the washing but not sure that is correct.

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: blue jean dye rubbing off on everything
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
I've never had this problem but I did a quick google search and found this website: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml

Not sure if that helps. I'd try vinegar first, then salt but if none of those work maybe purchase a bottle of Retayne?

Depends on whether you're willing to ruin your jeans if they don't stop running. If you had bought them locally I would have totally recommended you return them but that's obviously not an option.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
I would definitely second the salt remedy.  That's what people used to use with the RIT dyes to help set the colour better.  Be fairly generous with it and hand wash them in a sink so you don't end up with salt all over your washer.  Silly question, but are you making sure that you wash them in very cold water?  If nothing else works, then I'd say just wash them until they stop bleeding into the water....you may be left with faded jeans, but at least they won't ruin your other clothes.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:45:14 AM »
Cold salt water normally works for me. I agitate the item to make sure it is thoroughly saturated with the salt water, then leave it soaking for a few hours. Rinse in lots of cold water, normally you can tell when the dye stops running into your rinse water.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:17:09 AM »
I used to dye a lot of stuff and found that white vinegar and salt in the water in the kitchen sink worked really well to stop stuff from bleeding.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
Thank you everyone am taking my jeans downstairs now to get started.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
Just commiserating -- both my husband and I had bought new jeans right before we moved last year.  And then we moved into a furnished apartment with white fabric sofas in the living room.  Yeah, you know what happened next...
 :-\\\\

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Just commiserating -- both my husband and I had bought new jeans right before we moved last year.  And then we moved into a furnished apartment with white fabric sofas in the living room.  Yeah, you know what happened next...
 :-\\\\

Oh no. That is the worst. I hope you were able to get the dye out.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links