Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brit Expat taxes to be raised?  (Read 795 times)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
  • Liked: 0
Brit Expat taxes to be raised?
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »
Last night on Sky news (in the section where they discuss the next days newspapers) there was an article about tax for British Expats being changed to the U.S system :( 

The article did state that it wouldn't happen "for a while", but that it would happen. Unfortunately, I have searched Sky news/Google News/Expat Telegraph etc and I cannot find mention of this news item to reference it for you all-hopefully Helen will be along with more information at some point.

Thought this might be useful for all the Re-pats moving back with their Brit spouses to keep an eye on.

Sheril
Born to shop..............forced to work

Re: Brit Expat taxes to be raised?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 08:33:32 PM »
I have not heard anything recently, but the UK tax system changed to self-assessment (same as the US) about 5 / 6 years ago. Perhaps this is what they meant. I will keep my eyes open for any news on this and will let you all know....

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
Re: Brit Expat taxes to be raised?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
Hi Helen,

No, I am sure that's not what they were referring to so I just e-mailed Sky News (this has been driving me crazy!) then had another quick search and I finally found the news item....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2004/08/10/ntax10.xml&sSheet=/global/2004/08/10/home.html

Expatriates fear Brown plans to charge them full tax rate
By Toby Helm, Chief Political Correspondent
(Filed: 10/08/2004)

Two million Britons living abroad could face higher taxes after the Treasury refused to rule out changes in the regime for non-resident nationals.

Expatriates fear it could impose an American-style system under which they would pay the same income tax total as if they remained in Britain.............

Sheril.
:)

Born to shop..............forced to work

Sponsored Links