Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Genealogy Super-great (11th) Grandfather.  (Read 5001 times)

• Liked: 0
Genealogy Super-great (11th) Grandfather.
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
I was doing more research in to the genealogy and I finally got done with my Fathers said which goes back to the mid 15s in Norway.  So it was on to my Mother's.  Found out that my 11th GG was Sir Arthur Ingram.  In 1622 he purchased the estate and Manor House at Temple Newsam.  So anyone up in the Leeds area I am sure that you have heard of this place.  I was quite excited to see such a fun thing in my line.  Told my Wife that we will have to go visit one of these days to check out the places that he owned.
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

• Liked: 12
Re: Genealogy Super-great (11th) Grandfather.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Oh yes, very well know is Temple Newsam. Famous for the Capability Brown landscaping. I believe it was bought and sold off many times but is now owned by the Council and open to the public  ;)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
Temple Newsam is lovely. Nice grounds for a walk and a little animal farm for the kids to visit.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
Yes, in fact I've just been there as part of a course looking at British Country Houses and I met the curator.  It's a lovely house although a lot of the original furniture and art were sold off when the house was sold in the beginning of the 20th Century (I want to say it was around WWI, but I can't remember exactly when the curator said).  I'm currently writing a paper for that class about Capability Brown and his lasting impact.  

Have you visited Temple Newsam?  You should if you can.  It's amazing because it's one of the older houses as many landed gentry tore down their older Tudor or Medieval houses and opted to rebuild in the 18th Century, so the fact that Temple Newsam still has some Tudor and Jacobean elements is amazing.  

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
I have not been there yet, but I am looking forward to get up there. It was pretty cool to find something like this in the family history.
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

Sponsored Links