Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse Visa - Time  (Read 1647 times)

• Liked: 0
Spouse Visa - Time
« on: March 04, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
Hi, I'm in NYC and married to my other half who is in London.  I was planning on applying for the spouse visa from here.  Is there a standard time frame this happens in?  I don't mind waiting I just wonder if it's weeks or months.

I'm planning to move in September should I get on it now or should I wait? If I had it right away does it matter if move later?

From what I understand once I get the visa it's good for one year? then I have to apply to stay in the country leading toward citizenship, is this correct?

This renewal would probably take place at the dreaded Croydon office as he lives in Thorntonheath!

Re: Spouse Visa - Time
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 12:17:01 AM »
My wife applied through the embassy in DC, and it took just a couple of days (back in 2000), but I think that the consulate in New York has a fast-track same day service.

The visa is initially good for a year, which can then be made permanent after a year, assuming that you are (i) still married and (ii) still living in the UK.  

It is entirely up to you as to whether you ever want to "upgrade" to British citizenship though, there is no compulsion to do so, but there are some benefits, like voting in elections, and scooting through European airports without being given the third degree!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 12:30:00 AM by Mr_Val »
Richard

Re: Spouse Visa - Time
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 06:33:39 PM »
Thanx for your help it seems like then I have plenty of time to get it in advance.

I'm not sure about total citizenship but that is the plan, as I understand it I can have dual citizenship with the USA even though they don't like it  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab