Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to travel from London to Gloucester  (Read 4659 times)

Re: How to travel from London to Gloucester
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
We have seen a lot of mentions of the premium Heathrow Express trains, which run non-stop between Heathrow and Paddington. I wonder if people are aware of the cheaper Heathrow Connect trains, which use the same tracks. They run every 30 minutes and cost half as much. Instead of the Express's 15 minute nonstop run, Connect takes 25 minutes, calling at Hayes & Harlington, Southall, Hanwell, West Ealing and Ealing Broadway on the way to Paddington.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
Tremula,
Is that train practical for taking 6 large suit cases or are you just mentioning for general information?

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
Tremula,
Is that train practical for taking 6 large suit cases or are you just mentioning for general information?

Both are full size trains which run from the same platform at Heathrow to the same platforms at the Paddington terminal.

1. Heathrow Express

2. Heathrow Connect

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
Hey thank you for those pictures. The trains are pretty fancy. I didn't know they looked so good.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:45:05 PM by Peacemaker »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
I agree that you probably don't want to drive after a long flight.

It is probably expensive, but you should check into hiring a taxi/car service.  You can ask for a mini van which will be able to take the 3 of you and all your luggage.  Taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a train to Gloucester is going to make for a very long day with a 5 year old.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »
My neighbor in Bath was an older lady and if she had to get to Heathrow to catch a flight she would hire a car to take her. She certainly wasn't swish, so it's certainly doable. I would definitely look into hiring a minivan and driver.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »
Taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a train to Gloucester is going to make for a very long day with a 5 year old.

The Heathrow Express to Paddington is only about a 15-minute journey and then Paddington to Gloucester is 2 hours (you can get direct trains to Gloucester every hour... about 48 minutes past the hour). You could take the Heathrow Express at 11 am, for example, and arrive in Gloucester before 2 pm, with just a 30-minute train connection in Paddington.

Driving from Heathrow to Gloucester takes about 2 hours on a good day, but if there's bad traffic or an accident on the M4, it could take much longer. Personally I wouldn't recommend driving (yourself) after a long international flight, especially when you have jet lag, are unfamiliar with UK driving and have never driven on the left before.  I'm usually a zombie the day I return from the US, due to lack of sleep on the overnight flight and jet lag from the time difference :P.

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
I daresay I'm missing something here, but surely if the OPs are just visiting, then 6 large suitcases seems like rather a lot of baggage for 2 adults and a small child, and if they are moving household, then if it was me I would be looking at either shipping or even airfreight and delivery by truck, taking just a minimal amount on the plane. Britain is not a third world country after all, and most things that people need can be bought here.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21:29 PM »
coming back to National Express, I don't think you would have a problem there.  I thought I remembered their policy being two bags per person and you have three people.  If they don't count your five year old, you may be able to pay extra for one more bag each.

I usually travel from London to Cardiff on National Express.  It is almost always way cheaper than trains and they pick you up just outside the airport terminals.  Plus you can sleep through much of the journey and be just fine.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
I daresay I'm missing something here, but surely if the OPs are just visiting, then 6 large suitcases seems like rather a lot of baggage for 2 adults and a small child, and if they are moving household, then if it was me I would be looking at either shipping or even airfreight and delivery by truck, taking just a minimal amount on the plane. Britain is not a third world country after all, and most things that people need can be bought here.

According to previous posts, the OP is moving to England so the 6 suitcases are completely justified. I moved there on my own and brought four. No one here thinks Britain is a third world country.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
The Heathrow Express to Paddington is only about a 15-minute journey and then Paddington to Gloucester is 2 hours (you can get direct trains to Gloucester every hour... about 48 minutes past the hour).

Great of course if you hit everything perfectly. However after getting to the airport 2 hours (at least) before your trip, 7 hours at least on your flight, getting through immigration, waiting for your 6 bags(you know at least one of them will be the very last bag out) do you then want to take the Heathrow  Express (having just missed the previous train you wait for 15 minutes on the platform) get to Paddington and just miss a train to Gloucester.  You get the picture. It's a very long day for someone moving to the UK.

Just something to think about.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
You guys are great. :) I have send an email to the webpages which you have suggested for renting a minivan with a driver. That sounds like a great idea. Also the Luggage Delivery Service sounds great.
I agree with on posting here, that to travel with minimal baggage is probably the best choice.
Currently I am looking at sending some of our items via shipping service. We will not be sending any furniture but the personal belongings stack up, once you get the house apart.
But shipping boxes is also very expensive, a company just gave me quote of 1390 USD for ten boxes a 40lb. SO I don't know..
Thanks for all your help though.

It does not belong to here, but maybe you can help me with another question. We are going to apply for the EEA family permit here in US. There it says that I should include a lease or rental agreement.. How do I rent something without seeing it first?? Serviced apartments are just to expensive, I am looking into short term rentals but I dont know if I can do this from the internet or by phone.
I am looking for a place for 2 months, so I will have time to look for a real house once we are there...Any advise here?? Thank you so much

• Liked: 4
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »
I asked about moving boxes on freecycle and got them there and did many of the others just from stores.  I did purchase some from Uhaul just for the move so I could have a uniform shipping size, but I really didn't need to.  I'm blown away at how much they charge when you buy boxes--total rip off!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 02:53:30 AM »
We're facing a similar issue when we move this summer. We will most likely have several pieces of luggage as well as a 2 year old son in tow, and there's NO way we'd even think of taking trains or driving a rental car to our final destination (Norwich) Although it'll be expensive (like upwards of about 180GBP), we're looking into a taxi/chauffeur service from Heathrow. I'm sure you can probably find one that will take you to Gloucester if you're willing to pay.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 02:55:52 AM »
We're facing a similar issue when we move this summer. We will most likely have several pieces of luggage as well as a 2 year old son in tow, and there's NO way we'd even think of taking trains or driving a rental car to our final destination (Norwich) Although it'll be expensive (like upwards of about 180GBP), we're looking into a taxi/chauffeur service from Heathrow. I'm sure you can probably find one that will take you to Gloucester if you're willing to pay.

£180 maybe be close to the price of the total of the train fare for 3 people.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab