Sponsored Links

Topic: To-Read Lists  (Read 6585 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
To-Read Lists
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »
What are some of the top books on your To-Read list?

Some that I would like to read in the hopefully near future:

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking (I'd like the illustrated hardcover one). I've always wanted to read it, since it is probably one of the most important non-fiction books written in my lifetime, but just never got around to it. I've been wanting to read it more lately since that new Hawking's Universe series started this week.

The Three Musketeers - I absolutely loved The Count of Monte Cristo, I thought it was one of the most amazing books I've ever read, so I look forward to reading this one.

More science fiction. I've just been really interested in that lately. I've never read any Wells. Wouldn't mind reading some Orwell (I've read 1984 and Animal Farm, but wouldn't mind re-reading those, as that was a long time ago). I'd like to read some Vonnegut, since I never have.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: To-Read Lists
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
I have all my books catalogued on LibraryThing and I tag the ones I have yet to read TBR (To Be Read). As of right now, Mount TBR is 447 books high.  :-\\\\

It's totally daunting and I'm never sure what to read next, but sometime this summer, I'd like to read Vanity Fair.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
My to-read list is waaaay too long.   :-\\\\

But, off the top of my head:

Three Cups of Tea
Midwives
Mountains Beyond Mountains
Strength in What Remains
The Snakehead
Denialism
Overdosed America
The Kite Runner
Besa

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
Yay Chary!  447?  You're making me feel better.  ;D

I'm nothing like that organized, but my TBR list exists as piles of (mostly) paperbacks on shelves, side tables, windowsills, under my bed, and still living in libraries and bookstores.  I'm in danger of being "extruded into the waters surrounding this island" or however that quote goes.  Because I haven't kept track though, I'm going to maintain that my list is shorter than yours.  ;)
doing laundry

• Jewlz

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
Well, yeah, there are probably hundreds or thousands that I would like to read (and my list on WeRead is pretty long, too)! But I was just wondering what was on top of your list, or sitting on your shelf that you maybe bought but hadn't read.  :)

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
Lined up on the Kindle (I am saving some for the flight in a few weeks!):

Blockade Billy - Stephen King
South of Broad - Pat Conroy
The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

And some more..but I gotta check and see!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
But I was just wondering what was on top of your list, or sitting on your shelf that you maybe bought but hadn't read.  :)

That's what I meant, though. There are 447 books on my shelves at this very moment that I haven't read.

I'm nothing like that organized, but my TBR list exists as piles of (mostly) paperbacks on shelves, side tables, windowsills, under my bed,

My TBR list is only organised on paper. In reality, it sounds very much like yours.  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:29:00 PM by chary »
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Yes, this one too!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
I'm nothing like that organized, but my TBR list exists as piles of (mostly) paperbacks on shelves, side tables, windowsills, under my bed, and still living in libraries and bookstores. 

This.  Tin has seen my house - she can vouch for me.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »
Here are a some titles from the pile on my dresser:  :)
Into the Arms of Strangers - Stories of the Kindertransport by Harris & Oppenheimer
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
The Famished Road by Ben Okri
Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz
Wodehouse - A Life by Robert McCrum

And this is the book I'm going to read aloud with my kids next, having just finished the last of the Little House series:  From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l. konigsburg.
doing laundry

• Jewlz

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
This.  Tin has seen my house - she can vouch for me.  :)

Yep, I've now seen this for myself, too.  ;)

And thanks to Internet Addict's DH I now have a whole new list of books on my To-Read list. Woohoo!

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 10:04:54 PM »

And this is the book I'm going to read aloud with my kids next, having just finished the last of the Little House series:  From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by e.l. konigsburg.
this is one of my all time favourites from my childhood

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »

That book is awesome! 

I've got some Bill Bryson sitting on the bedside table I can't quite get to at the moment as my reward for finishing my OU course next week.  Then I'm buying a few books with money I got for my birthday - yay for paranormal romance by Jayne Ann Krentz!
Maroon Passport Club!

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 06:35:11 AM »
That book is awesome! 

I've got some Bill Bryson sitting on the bedside table I can't quite get to at the moment as my reward for finishing my OU course next week. 

Just curious which ones?  We've read all of his books (dh reads aloud for us at bed) but some of them we found disappointing.  By far, his best book was Walk in the Woods, at least in our opinion, followed closely by Notes from a Small Island.  The others have been.. disappointing.   :-\\\\

Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
We've read all of his books (dh reads aloud for us at bed) but some of them we found disappointing.  By far, his best book was Walk in the Woods, at least in our opinion, followed closely by Notes from a Small Island.  The others have been.. disappointing.   :-\\\\

I've almost finished reading 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', which I think is really good. However, that may be because I am a scientist and found the history of the science I've studied really interesting to read about (he basically covered the content of both my university degrees in the book :P).

Sponsored Links