Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To-Read Lists  (Read 6621 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: To-Read Lists
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
I have added some Ann Rule to mine, as I like to read true crime.  The only problem is then I start looking at everyone on the bus as if they could be a possible serial killer.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
Jewlz may I recommend Farenheit 451 if you are looking for sci-fi 1984 type reads. :)

I've always wanted to read that one. I think I will have to make a journey to Barter Books this weekend to have a look around there since our local library has diddly squat.  ;)

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
I'd like to read some Vonnegut, since I never have.

He's not exactly sci-fi (and wasn't particularly fond of the label), but has some elements of it in his literature. I'd recommend reading Slaughterhouse Five first. It's his most well-known and accessible, and is just flat out wonderful - although some people argue Sirens of Titan is more well-known since it's what made him famous, which is another good read. If you enjoy him, let me know and I can recommend some of his other works. (I might have a slight Vonnegut obsession.... lol)
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' Kurt Vonnegut

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 02:17:54 AM »
I totally agree with loving The Mixed Up Files.... I was also a big fan of Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. At least I think that was the title. I believe there is a movie but I don't want to watch it because I'm afraid it will ruin my memory of the book. :)

I want to re-read Life of Pi and then I can read the author's newest Beatrice and Virgil. But first I'm about to begin the final book in the Lemony Snicket series. I love them and can't believe I wanted so long to try them!!

I don't let the fact something is a children's book stop me from enjoying it obviously.  ;D

• Jewlz

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 07:39:55 AM »
I've ordered The Lovely Bones, The Handmaid's Tale, and Europa. Trying to catch up on some of the more popular ones I missed. They should hopefully be here soon.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
I've always wanted to read that one. [Fahrenheit 451] I think I will have to make a journey to Barter Books this weekend to have a look around there since our local library has diddly squat.  ;)

It was the set book for an English Literature class I took in school in 1968.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:04 AM »
I have added some Ann Rule to mine, as I like to read true crime.  The only problem is then I start looking at everyone on the bus as if they could be a possible serial killer.

I like Ann Rule because she can tell a true crime story like a novel (although the genre has come a long way since she started).  However, she should fire her proof-readers or maybe drive them out to Outlook Ridge and slaughter them.  Or whatever Ann Rule does to get rid of people.  I am far from perfect in grammar, style and spelling, and that's why if I published a book, I'd make sure I had cracking proof-readers.  I cringe at some of the mistakes that get through in her books.  Yeah, they're a bit cheapish, but FFS, she and her publisher probably make enough to afford better eyes.  

But, yeah, I feel a bit weird having people know I am reading true crime as well.  That's why I haven't read any since I moved here (unless you count The Executioner's Song).  I always go to branch libraries here, so I feel a bit queaky in the tiny little true crime sections.  I think it stems from news reports that say things like, "neighbours say that he was a quiet man, who always kept to himself, but during a search, police found shelves of books on serial killers and mass murderers, as well as the bloody murder weapon."

My to-read list (after I finish the novel I am reading which is taking forever because we've been so busy):
A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole
The Centre of Winter-Maya Hornbacher
The Town and the City-Jack Kerouac--I tried reading this years ago when I was going through my Beat Generation phase, and I think it's the only one of his books I couldn't get through.  I am going to try it again.
Deadkidsongs-Toby Litt

ETA: re: Fahrenheit 451 , it's a weird one. A lot of people who are very well read haven't read that.  I think we were assigned it in school.  I am not sure if I just read it on my own.  I loved Bradbury as a kid.  However, my husband had never read it even though he is a major sci-fi fan and has had a drink with Bradbury (and has his autograph).  He's also incredibly well read and shames me with the sheer number of books he's read, particularly the classics.  He says it's because he had nothing better to do as a kid and England sucked for kids in the 1970s and early 80s.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:33:34 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
I think it stems from news reports that say things like, "neighbours say that he was a quiet man, who always kept to himself, but during a search, police found shelves of books on serial killers and mass murderers, as well as the bloody murder weapon."

I don't think you need worry unduly. As long as you just get the books, and not the weapons as well. In any case for every one murderer who has a collection of true-crime books, there are a thousand non-murderers who do also. I think perhaps your tongue might have been (at least part way) in your cheek when you wrote that.

The English love nothing better than a good murder, as an extremely cursory examination of any tabloid newspaper will reveal. In this regard, you may be familiar with George Orwell's well-known essay, "Decline Of The English Murder". I link to an online copy:

http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/decline-of-english-murder.htm

Most magazine stores have shelves full of magazines about awful crimes. Many "Take A Break" type magazines pay money for reader's accounts of gruesome crimes that they were involved in as witnesses or which were done by or to friends or relatives.

My extremely respectable English born aunt, silver both of hair and glasses, member of the Salvation Army, strictly temperance, had a huge glass fronted book case, and jostling for space among the biographies of preachers, collections of hymn tunes -- she played the harmonium -- bound collections of tracts etc, were a large number of volumes about... murders. There were anthologies like "Fifty Famous Murders", "Brutal Crimes That Shocked The World", etc, as well as accounts of individual crimes by such stars of the genre as Landru, Crippen, Neill Cream, Doctor Buck Ruxton and so on.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:44:38 AM by Trémula »

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »
I wasn't being entirely serious, unless every second old lady in the US should be suspected as a serial killer.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
ETA: re: Fahrenheit 451 , it's a weird one. A lot of people who are very well read haven't read that.  I think we were assigned it in school.  I am not sure if I just read it on my own.  I loved Bradbury as a kid.  However, my husband had never read it even though he is a major sci-fi fan and has had a drink with Bradbury (and has his autograph).  He's also incredibly well read and shames me with the sheer number of books he's read, particularly the classics.  He says it's because he had nothing better to do as a kid and England sucked for kids in the 1970s and early 80s.

I am a huge Bradbury fan, but I must confess I don't like Fahrenheit 451 so well.  I love the message, and the prescience, but the style of the prose I find a bit difficult, and it's hard to get involved with the characters.  IMO, Bradbury does much better with short stories.  But I haven't read Fahrenheit in years, maybe I should try again. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
I wasn't being entirely serious, unless every second old lady in the US should be suspected as a serial killer.

Like Dorothea Puente?

• Jewlz

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
My to-read list (after I finish the novel I am reading which is taking forever because we've been so busy):
A Confederacy of Dunces-John Kennedy Toole

YES! This is one of the best, most amazing books ever. So much cleverness in it, and it will really make you laugh out loud. I just ran across it in a box the other day and really need to re-read it. It's the only book I actually packed in my suitcase and brought across to the UK with me because I knew I'd never want to be without it.

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »
Between the Ann Rule and some of the books I have on the CDC and bio-terrorism (after reading the Hot Zone by Richard Preston, I got interested in the topic just in terms of how scary some of these diseases actually are and how easily they can be transmitted), I'm surely on most weird FBI watch lists.

Oh well!

My favorite KV book is Player Piano.  Still give it a re-read every year.

I'm re-reading Little Women now, though. 

I still have a bunch of new stuff on the Kindle to read, though.

• Jewlz

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 01:32:52 PM »
Just got Europa by Tim Parks today. Think I will give that a go tonight.  :)

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »
Just got Europa by Tim Parks today. Think I will give that a go tonight.  :)

It's good. I like Tim Parks.

Sponsored Links