Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: To-Read Lists  (Read 6583 times)

Re: To-Read Lists
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »
Between the Ann Rule and some of the books I have on the CDC and bio-terrorism (after reading the Hot Zone by Richard Preston, I got interested in the topic just in terms of how scary some of these diseases actually are and how easily they can be transmitted), I'm surely on most weird FBI watch lists.

I liked that book even if the guy was a wince inducing writer.  I learned a lot from the book, although I think he lacked authority on the details.  My husband read it at the same time as I did, and he said that he was off on some of the procedures, but the general information was probably spot on.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
Yeah, I was reading either an article/interview with him where he was talking about his actual experiences visiting the labs and stuff, and he had to write with special pens/pencils, and there was of course, stuff he couldn't write about for security reasons, but I think he got as close as he could - and still kept it interesting.

When Clinton was president, I remember he read Preston's one fictional book - The Cobra Event, and started talking with his advisors as to what the actual possibilities of something like that happening.  It is scary stuff, if you think about what could happen if any of these diseases weren't under such lock and key.

I don't mind his writing style, really. 

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Thinking of getting Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy, because I love the dramas on ITV3. Has anybody else read it? What are your thoughts?
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »
Thinking of getting Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy, because I love the dramas on ITV3. Has anybody else read it? What are your thoughts?

I really enjoy both the books and the miniseries.  The show is pretty faithful to the events in the books, but the characters--both in physical description and in personality--are sometimes quite different.  The characters in the books are very complex, which I like.  There are so many, and none of them is entirely sympathetic or entirely unsympathetic.  Still, as much as I love the series, after reading the books I couldn't believe--and still can't--that they cast Gina McKee as Irene.  She is so.very.wrong for the part.  Too old, and doesn't look a thing like the character.  It still bugs me in the early episodes where she's supposed to be nineteen.  Ridiculous. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks, historyenne! I'll probably be getting them this week or on the weekend. I figure getting the book is much cheaper than getting the box set of the drama, and I'll get a better understanding of the characters.

For example, I thought Soames had a daughter that he spoilt rotten, but, on the show that started last Sunday, there was no sign of her, and I wanted to remember what happened to her. And why was there a split in the Forsyte family in the first place? And why is Jolyenne's daughter June so much older than her siblings? I only arrived to the UK in the middle of season 2, I think it was, so, I'm not current on who everyone is, and what their motives are. But, I love their story sooo much!

Yeah, Gina Mckee could've been better as another character. I can't see her as anyone other than Hugh Grant's friend in Nottinghill, though. Sounds bad, but, I keep looking around for her wheelchair and I'm always amazed by how tall she is.

Thanks again!

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »

I quite liked the book, but it was slow going...interesting reading, but because the characters were so complex I couldn't just zip through it. I also loved the miniseries - it sparked my love for Damien Lewis (as an actor ;)).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Soames's daughter is born at the end of the first miniseries, then there's another series that deals with her affair with Jolyon and Irene's son.  And that's only the first three books!  I haven't read the whole lot, but my mom says that eventually Jon (Jolyon and Irene's son) and Fleur (Soames's daughter) get back together (after Jon has spent some time in Canada).  I don't know how it all ends, I guess I should read the last books! 

June is Jolyon's daughter by his first wife, whom he left because he fell in love with her governess, then he has two children by the governess and eventually marries her, then he marries Irene and they have a son.  That's what split the family. 

One thing I like better in the show than in the books is the character of Dartie.  In the books, he's pretty much a pure blackguard, but in the show, he tries to redeem himself at the end, plus he appears to genuinely love his wife, when in the books it's not clear that he does.  Of course, in the books, characters that are peripheral in the series get more attention.  You'll just have to read/watch both!  I bet you could get the series from the library or Lovefilm or something. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »
I quite liked the book, but it was slow going...interesting reading, but because the characters were so complex I couldn't just zip through it. I also loved the miniseries - it sparked my love for Damien Lewis (as an actor ;)).

I agree completely! About the book and about Damien Lewis!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »
Off to Amazon I go to buy the book. Yay!!! :D

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
I'm so excited that I am allowed to go in this part of the forum now!  I had banned myself during my masters since I couldn't justify reading anything that wasn't relevant to my course. :P

So, I now have quite a list going.  My mom is a big reader, and she really liked reading mysteries for years so I've decided to follow in her footsteps.

I'm going to start off with some classic Agatha Christie, and my mom suggested Elizabeth George and Dorothy L Sayers so I'll have to tuck in to those as well.

I've also got The Historian and Pillars of the Earth on the list since my friends have been going on about them to me.

I'm so excited to read fun things again!  :D
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• British by descent
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
Dorothy L Sayers is awesome. :) I might add her books to my to-read list, even though I've read most of them already.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
Dorothy L Sayers is awesome. :) I might add her books to my to-read list, even though I've read most of them already.

Two good reviews means I may have to start with her first!  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
I'm going to start off with some classic Agatha Christie, and my mom suggested Elizabeth George and Dorothy L Sayers so I'll have to tuck in to those as well.

Elizabeth George and Dorothy L. Sayers are both fantastic!! My other two favourite mystery writers are Josephy Tey and Margery Allingham.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab