Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cool Whip Alternative?  (Read 14663 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Cool Whip Alternative?
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Yeah, yeah... I know.  :P

Actually, the thing is, I want to make this really great looking dessert, which calls for 8 ounces of heavy whipping cream (yielding 2 cups whipped) and I'd like to reduce the calories and fat content so it will fit in my diet. Of course, if I was in the states, I could sub 2 cups of Cool Whip Lite, but here... what are the options for swapping the heavy cream with something a bit less calorific? Any ideas? Thanks!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Cool Whip Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
Hmmm, maybe you could make it more a meringue like topping? Something with eggs? Not sure how that would help calories/fat necessarily, but it might do.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »
Light squirty cream?
Though you may need to add some additional sugar to it to make it a bit sweeter like cool whip. Mind you, it won't have cool whip texture- it will have whipped dairy cream texture. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0

• Jewlz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
OK, so I want to make this:

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/05/aunt-margarets-strawberry-delight.html

You mix the strawberries with meringue and whipped cream and then freeze it, then thaw it for an hour and cut into squares. So it would need to something that freezes well, and I don't think the squirty cream would work for that.  :-\\\\

I don't know about the dream topping (would it freeze well?), but I bet that would work for some other things! Thanks!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14:10 AM »
You could always buy some and see what happens when you freeze it? You know, do a trial run before you try the full recipe?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
Oh cool, they have the dream topping at Tesco, too, so I can order it from there next time I do an online shop, and they have a no added sugar variety, which would be good since the recipe calls for unsweetened cream (either that, or I could use the regular version and cut some sugar out of the recipe). Then I could just make it with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk to cut down on the fat. It's worth a try!  ;D Thanks!

You could always buy some and see what happens when you freeze it? You know, do a trial run before you try the full recipe?

Great advice... and something I probably wouldn't have thought to do!  :)

Sponsored Links