Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tickling the English, anyone?  (Read 1398 times)

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
  • Liked: 0
Tickling the English, anyone?
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
So, I know that upon moving to England, Kate Fox's book Watching the English tends to be standard reading. Well, I happened to be compiling a wish list on Amazon for books to take on my holiday and I came across Tickling the English by Dara O'Briain.

Has anyone read it? I hadn't heard of it before but I love Dara's comedy and the blurb on Amazon about the book sounds fab...

"Nostalgia, identity, eccentricity, gin drinking and occasional violence... these are just some of the themes that stand-up comedian Dara O Briain explores in Tickling the English. O Briain moved to England many years ago, but when he takes his show on tour around the country – from deserted seaside towns and remote off-shore islands, to sprawling industrial cities and sleepy suburbs – it’s clear to him that his adopted home is still a bit of an enigma. Why do the English pretend to be unhappy all the time? Why can’t they accept they rank about 5th, in everything? And what’s with all the fudge? But this Irishman loves a challenge; he's certainly got the gregarious personality and the sure-fire wit to bring down the barriers of that famous English reserve, and have a good old rummage inside. Swapping anecdotes with his audiences and spending time wandering in their hometowns, this nosy neighbour holds England up to the light while exploring some of the attitudes he brought over here with him too. As Dara goes door-to-door in search of England in this part tour diary, part travelogue, the result is an affectionate, hilarious and often eye-opening journey through the Sceptred Isle."

My copy got delivered last week and I'm desperate to have a read and a giggle but I'm saving it for my upcoming 12 hour flight  ::)  ;D  I liked Watching the English but I thought a lot of it was a struggle to get through as there were many parts that I didn't find entertaining or interesting so I'm hoping this will do for me what that book didn't.
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Tickling the English, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
I don't know the book, but I saw his stand-up act last year, and he said this:

And what’s with all the fudge?

;D ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
I really, really love Dara O'Briain. I thought about buying this while waiting for a train coming back from Wales, but the price shocked my Yorkshire sensibilities!  :o

Let me know if it's worth buying.

And what’s with all the fudge?

And I <3 all the fudge! It's for me!  :P

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
I really, really love Dara O'Briain. I thought about buying this while waiting for a train coming back from Wales, but the price shocked my Yorkshire sensibilities!  :o

Let me know if it's worth buying.

Well it was only £4 on t'internet!  :D

I shall report back once I've read it!
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »
Well it was only £4 on t'internet!  :D

I shall report back once I've read it!

Yeah, it was something crazy like £14 in the bookshop in the train station. Mark up for convenience?

Do report back, though!  :)

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
So, I know that upon moving to England, Kate Fox's book Watching the English tends to be standard reading. Well, I happened to be compiling a wish list on Amazon for books to take on my holiday and I came across Tickling the English by Dara O'Briain.

Has anyone read it? I hadn't heard of it before but I love Dara's comedy and the blurb on Amazon about the book sounds fab...

"Nostalgia, identity, eccentricity, gin drinking and occasional violence... these are just some of the themes that stand-up comedian Dara O Briain explores in Tickling the English. O Briain moved to England many years ago, but when he takes his show on tour around the country – from deserted seaside towns and remote off-shore islands, to sprawling industrial cities and sleepy suburbs – it’s clear to him that his adopted home is still a bit of an enigma. Why do the English pretend to be unhappy all the time? Why can’t they accept they rank about 5th, in everything? And what’s with all the fudge? But this Irishman loves a challenge; he's certainly got the gregarious personality and the sure-fire wit to bring down the barriers of that famous English reserve, and have a good old rummage inside. Swapping anecdotes with his audiences and spending time wandering in their hometowns, this nosy neighbour holds England up to the light while exploring some of the attitudes he brought over here with him too. As Dara goes door-to-door in search of England in this part tour diary, part travelogue, the result is an affectionate, hilarious and often eye-opening journey through the Sceptred Isle."

My copy got delivered last week and I'm desperate to have a read and a giggle but I'm saving it for my upcoming 12 hour flight  ::)  ;D  I liked Watching the English but I thought a lot of it was a struggle to get through as there were many parts that I didn't find entertaining or interesting so I'm hoping this will do for me what that book didn't.

I tried reading Karen Fox's book, but, I lost interest after a while, because while there were some nice bits, there were also a few bits that were (I thought) on the mean side, and put me off. I put it in a cupboard until months later, I saw it again, didn't open it anymore, and returned it to the person I'd borrowed it from.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

Sponsored Links