Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Settlement visa application question - When did your relationship start?  (Read 2108 times)

• Liked: 0
This might be a silly question, but I really don't want to make any mistakes on the visa application, so any help is appreciated.

The settlement visa application asks when our relationship started. My partner and I met in college and started going out then. But then he graduated and we broke up. In the meantime he got married to someone else. The marriage broke down and when they were separated we started seeing each other again. His divorce became final earlier this year.

My question is, which do I put down as the "start" of our relationship? I don't want it to overlap with his previous marriage, that kind of looks weird. Should I put the date when we started going out again after he was separated? We're including his divorce papers in our application, but I also want to mention that we've known each other since college and our relationship (even if on and off) spans most of 10 years.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

I'm no expert, but I'd put the date when you started going out again after he was separated, as that's the beginning of your 'current' relationship. Perhaps mention in the accompanying letter that you have known each other since college, but I wouldn't think it relevant that you went out for a while years ago.

Perhaps a better-informed person will be along shortly :)

I.

• Liked: 1
Put the date of the start of the current phase of your relationship and dont go overboard with explaining the on/off thing. The ECO will not care if you were dating your husband when he was married, nor do they care if you've known eachother for 10 years or 10 months.  They just want to know that you have a genuine relationship which meets the criteria of your visa (that you are married for a spousal visa and engaged for a fiance visa). 

• Liked: 0
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it simple and put the start date of the current leg of our relationship.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links