Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trying to find ingredients for Clam Chowder, help please  (Read 15438 times)

• Hubby & I
  • Liked: 0
Trying to find ingredients for Clam Chowder, help please
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
 Since I am tired of paying so much for canned chowder from Lupe Pintos(which I like, but still...) I have been trying to make my own, but am having no luck finding clams(either frozen of canned, chopped or whole) and clam juice. I find this odd esp as a few of my recipes call for Essex Clams. Asked my MIL and she has no clue. Do the Scottish have something against clams in general or is it just my in-laws? Any ideas on where to look? Had hubby ask the fish guy on the way home yesterday, but he said he was not very helpful(plus no idea how to use fresh clams anyway)
Thanks.
*oh, and if anyone knows a good alternative to chowder crackers that would not go unappreciated either!*
9/04 Met on-line
11/07 Married
12/3/08 FLR(M) APPROVED
Here on Leave to Remain. Will apply for UKC and get UK passport once I can swallow how much more money the UK Govt wants from me. Or when my US passport expires.

Re: Trying to find ingredients for Clam Chowder, help please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
No clam juice anywhere that I have found, although I did find Clamato. 

I used canned clams. 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
I don't know much about Scotland, or where you are in Scotland, but I've lived in Pembrokeshire and now in Cornwall and there's plenty of access to clams here! Most fishmongers seem to stock them, though I haven't bought any myself.

One of our local fishmongers sells live clams and has an online shop and next-day delivery service anywhere in the UK: http://www.mstevensandson.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=45

So if you absolutely can't find clams anywhere near you, that's always an option!

Good luck with the chowder! Let me know how it works please, as I think I might try it!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
I get tinned clams at an Italian grocery store here in Dublin. Due to the number of Italians in Edinburgh, you should have a couple of shops like that around there!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
Ask your fishmonger to order them in specially for you, they should carry them, but if not, they will order them for ya! Good luck!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
The brand John West does canned clams in brine, which you can sometimes find at Tesco (and probably other supermarkets as well), I think near the canned tuna.  I don't know if that helps?  I've never used them, but I considered making white clam sauce once and made a mental note of it.

I've just been making chowders with smoked fish since it's so easy to come by, sort of like Cullen Skink.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
The brand John West does canned clams in brine, which you can sometimes find at Tesco (and probably other supermarkets as well), I think near the canned tuna.  I don't know if that helps?  I've never used them, but I considered making white clam sauce once and made a mental note of it.

I've just been making chowders with smoked fish since it's so easy to come by, sort of like Cullen Skink.

That is what I use. 

• Snaps
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »

We do that quite often in the winter. It's such a lovely, warming supper - served with good crusty bread and butter. Yum!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »
We do that quite often in the winter. It's such a lovely, warming supper - served with good crusty bread and butter. Yum!

It really is just so good!
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Hubby & I
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
 Thanks all! I just looked on ASDA's website and the have the John West baby clams, a NEW product. Rarely get to Tesco, so never had a chance to look there(too far for me to get groceries anyway).
 Anyone have a good tried recipe to make clam chowder without clam juice? That's the only way I ever learned to make it. Found lots of recipes that don't call for it, but none tried.

I am preg, so have that whole craving thing going on, and if it isn't EXACTLY what I want then it never goes away. May have to try it at a later date tho, sounds delish!
9/04 Met on-line
11/07 Married
12/3/08 FLR(M) APPROVED
Here on Leave to Remain. Will apply for UKC and get UK passport once I can swallow how much more money the UK Govt wants from me. Or when my US passport expires.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
You can try checking your local east asian market. The one in Derby Centre has tinned clams and clam juice as well.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
One of the fishmongers at our town market had clams on Saturday, DW asked if if he usually has them and he said he did
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »
You should be able to find mussells pretty easily and they would also make a nice substitue for clams
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
Are those tinned clams any good? I've never had them ... but ... I don't know ... I'd have to hear some pretty positive reviews from other foodies before I'd try them!

• Hubby & I
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Are those tinned clams any good? I've never had them ... but ... I don't know ... I'd have to hear some pretty positive reviews from other foodies before I'd try them!
will let you know, as am going to make a pot of chowder either tomorrow or sat. I have only ever used canned ones, but never this brand so fingers crossed!

Am going to try it without the clam juice, have to just grin and bear it. Depending on how it turns out, I may have to find an E. Asian market.
9/04 Met on-line
11/07 Married
12/3/08 FLR(M) APPROVED

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab