Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Trying to find ingredients for Clam Chowder, help please  (Read 15439 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Trying to find ingredients for Clam Chowder, help please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Are those tinned clams any good? I've never had them ... but ... I don't know ... I'd have to hear some pretty positive reviews from other foodies before I'd try them!

I had a craving for linguine with clam sauce the other day and couldn’t get to the fishmonger so I chanced it and used canned. The result was so-so -- it just didn't taste right to me. I wouldn't use them again in a clam sauce. Shame because canned fish like mackerel and sardines can work really well in many recipes.

But I think canned clams may work better in a chowder because there are other major ingredients involved.

will let you know, as am going to make a pot of chowder either tomorrow or sat. I have only ever used canned ones, but never this brand so fingers crossed!
Am going to try it without the clam juice, have to just grin and bear it. Depending on how it turns out, I may have to find an E. Asian market.

Maybe try some fish stock cubes for extra flavour?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »
will let you know, as am going to make a pot of chowder either tomorrow or sat. I have only ever used canned ones, but never this brand so fingers crossed!

I meant tinned ones in general, not just that brand.

I had a craving for linguine with clam sauce the other day and couldn’t get to the fishmonger so I chanced it and used canned. The result was so-so -- it just didn't taste right to me. I wouldn't use them again in a clam sauce. Shame because canned fish like mackerel and sardines can work really well in many recipes.

But I think canned clams may work better in a chowder because there are other major ingredients involved.

That's what I was wondering. My inclination would be that fresh would be better, but perhaps with all the other things in there it doesn't make that much difference. I'm still not convinced, though.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
I think fresh is always best, but tinned are fine in a pinch! 

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
I think Jarred Clams are better than tinned, Jarred in their own juice, no weird interaction with the tin. :)

But also, Waitrose will order you bags of clams if you ask their fishmonger, nice and fresh, I doSpaghetti Vongole or Fideau at dinner parties sometimes :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »
You can get clams on Amazon. Expensive shipping from the U.S though. Alternatively you can use Spanish razor clams. Clam juice is more of a challenge. Good fish stock made from shellfish is a good substitute.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
Arise Lazarus!

I want clam chowder now.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links